Hopes and Fears

Carl Sagan

Hopes and Fears  

210 members have voted

1. 1. If we do make it on Sunday, who do you want in the playoffs?

• Cardiff, to rub Colin's nose in it one more time after they miss out at the death
    • Fulham, who bested us in the regular campaign, but who will be demoralised when their fine run proves not quite enough
    • Villa, because our most recent two-legged playoff against a Steve Bruce team went so well

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/05/18 at 11:29

On Saturday we came within six minutes of securing a playoff place with one game still to go. A goal conceded and we go into the final game, still needing a draw at home to Barnsley, who will be fighting fo their Championship lives, or needing Nigel Clough's Burton to get at least a point away at Preston, as Burton Albion try to finish what they started a few weeks ago against the Rams. This final day has echoes of the home game against Reading.

Ahead of us, Wolves are Champions and Villa confirmed in fourth place. After a titanic struggle, the second promotion spot remains a live tussle between Cardiff who have their fate in their hands, and Fulham who's charge has been incredible. Should we win and Boro lose away at Ipswich, in Mick McCarthy's final game, then we will likely finish fifth and play Villa again.

If you're fearful Preston will yet overtake us, their playoff odds are 6/1 so £100 on them would comfortably pay for next year's season ticket should the worst happen. Ask yourself how much is it worth to you? What would you be prepared to lose, for Derby to make the playoffs?

We've take four points this season off Cardiff and Villa, with impressive home wins and defiant away draws in both cases.

We drew 1-1 at Craven Cottage in November, but succumberd 1-2 at home in March.

Happily April saw a vital 0-1 win at Deepdale  while securing our first league win of the season at home to PNE in August. How vital those six points have proved.

Of course I hope we steamroller Barnsley but I'd be very happy finishing sixth. Whoever out of Cardiff and Fulham falls at the final hurdle of a quite brilliant season by both teams, is in an unenviable position. How gutted will the be? Can they raise themselves for the playoffs, or if things go against them, might they fall apart. I think for either of these teams, it now becomes a massive challenge. Getting the better against Villa over two more matches is another tough ask, and we have history with Bruce in a two-legged playoff. I'd be happier to face them in the Final.

Or would you rather bag fifth place and two more games against Villa?

No counting chickens, but if we can do what we couldn't do against Reading on the final day, what would you want next?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting one this.

Presuming Derby get the point they need it will be Fulham we play as I can't see anything other than a Cardiff victory over Reading.

Imagine coming to a buzzing Pride Park under the lights on Friday night - You could see them crumble and leave two or three goals down.Their huge away end could then be their downfall with 7000 Rams fans making it feel like a home game.

Optimistic - hell yeah !

Cardiff 100%, they play a similar style to us with a slow midfield so it’d just come down to who’s better over two games. Villa we could fluke past if we were lucky but they have a much greater attacking threat than us. Fulham we’d just get battered without a doubt over two legs, a one off at Wembley anything could happen but no chance in the semis.

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Cardiff 100%, they play a similar style to us with a slow midfield so it’d just come down to who’s better over two games. Villa we could fluke past if we were lucky but they have a much greater attacking threat than us. Fulham we’d just get battered without a doubt over two legs, a one off at Wembley anything could happen but no chance in the semis.

Agree 100% with your predicted outcomes, perhaps not so pessimistic on Fulham but still think we’d struggle to contain them.

Cardiff everyday of the week for me, it’s Colin, they are predictable and we can boss them with our confidence back.

I really don't mind. At the start of the season I thought that 8th would be about all we would be able to manage, and with a bit of luck we just might be able to extend the season (bar a rude awakening next week).

I don't think there's anything between the three possible opponents.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

On Saturday we came within six minutes of securing a playoff place with one game still to go. A goal conceded and we go into the final game, still needing a draw at home to Barnsley, who will be fighting fo their Championship lives, or needing Nigel Clough's Burton to get at least a point away at Preston, as Burton Albion try to finish what they started a few weeks ago against the Rams. This final day has echoes of the home game against Reading.

Ahead of us, Wolves are Champions and Villa confirmed in fourth place. After a titanic struggle, the second promotion spot remains a live tussle between Cardiff who have their fate in their hands, and Fulham who's charge has been incredible. Should we win and Boro lose away at Ipswich, in Mick McCarthy's final game, then we will likely finish fifth and play Villa again.

If you're fearful Preston will yet overtake us, their playoff odds are 6/1 so £100 on them would comfortably pay for next year's season ticket should the worst happen. Ask yourself how much is it worth to you? What would you be prepared to lose, for Derby to make the playoffs?

We've take four points this season off Cardiff and Villa, with impressive home wins and defiant away draws in both cases.

We drew 1-1 at Craven Cottage in November, but succumberd 1-2 at home in March.

Happily April saw a vital 0-1 win at Deepdale  while securing our first league win of the season at home to PNE in August. How vital those six points have proved.

Of course I hope we steamroller Barnsley but I'd be very happy finishing sixth. Whoever out of Cardiff and Fulham falls at the final hurdle of a quite brilliant season by both teams, is in an unenviable position. How gutted will the be? Can they raise themselves for the playoffs, or if things go against them, might they fall apart. I think for either of these teams, it now becomes a massive challenge. Getting the better against Villa over two more matches is another tough ask, and we have history with Bruce in a two-legged playoff. I'd be happier to face them in the Final.

Or would you rather bag fifth place and two more games against Villa?

No counting chickens, but if we can do what we couldn't do against Reading on the final day, what would you want next?

Ugh, you're so right with you odds, but who wants to do that? It seems like you're telling your mates you think your sister is hot. As I say, ugh.

BTW, I went to see Neil deGrasse Tyson talk recently and he delivered a great homage to the mighty Carl Sagan. 

9 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Ugh, you're so right with you odds, but who wants to do that? It seems like you're telling your mates you think your sister is hot. As I say, ugh.

BTW, I went to see Neil deGrasse Tyson talk recently and he delivered a great homage to the mighty Carl Sagan. 

Is she though? How long have you had these feelings, Bob? ?

Cardiff. 100%. It would be an even tie and the team who dares most would win. 

Fulham have too much flair for us. 

Would take Fulham or Villa in the final. A gargantuan task but a final is a one-off...and maybe GR's lucky trainers would see us through. Madam Football eh? What a bitch she can be. ?

29 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I think very highly of him too! ?

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think very highly of him too! ?

He was excellent.

Very funny and he dealt with a raucous/drunk crowd superbly.

Can you imagine if that guy taught you science at school!

You'd be engrossed.

Like Richard Feynman when he lectured, there would be a queue to get in!

8 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Sadly it's who was Carl Sagan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Sagan

At the risk of derailing my excellent thread, I will say I'm lucky to work and be mates with many of the world's top scientists and popularisers of science - everyone holds Sagan in awe. Sadly I only got to meet him once but he was lovely then and inspired so many future "cosmologists". Where did you hear Neil deGrasse Tyson?

Archived