Hopes and Fears

Carl Sagan

Hopes and Fears  

210 members have voted

1. 1. If we do make it on Sunday, who do you want in the playoffs?

• Cardiff, to rub Colin's nose in it one more time after they miss out at the death
    • Fulham, who bested us in the regular campaign, but who will be demoralised when their fine run proves not quite enough
    • Villa, because our most recent two-legged playoff against a Steve Bruce team went so well

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/05/18 at 11:29

7 hours ago, HantsRam said:

this bit needs to be transmitted to Gary Rowett so we don't end up with 2 LBs and a midfield 3 of Hudds, Ledley and Johnson to show their pace.

Given track record we'll probably end up with Baird back at RWB, an extra DM in George Thorne and play a 3-1-5-1 formation that struggles to reach to edge of our own box.

That tickled me more than it should. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon it will be Fulham, providing we get past a battling Barnlsey. As long as we fight, and give a good Account of ourselves, i don't care about the results. I only say this because our team is not good enough to be promoted right now. We would need a minimum of 8 changes in the premier league just to try and stay up. Then we have the crazy amount of deadwood to shift, which should be our main concern after the playoffs (hopefully) 

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 20:48, plymouthram said:

If it is going to be Fulham, are they due a defeat after 24 games

They were probably due a defeat after 23 games?. Still, we'll all clutch at anything we can get. Play offs usually throw up some unexpected results.

17 hours ago, curtains said:

Yes I think Cardiff will beat Reading .

I just feel with our forwards firing we can beat anyone over 2 legs. 

I fancy us against Fulham who will be gutted at missing Auto. 

Not so sure about the first bit, mate. If you can match Cardiff's work rate you start to have a chance. If a team fighting for their Championship lives can't at least do that, it'd be a bit of a disgrace. I often think a team in Reading's position is better off playing away. An away support is less likely to get on the team's back, and want to try and roar their lads on. Cardiff's fans, on the other hand, could easily transmit tension to the pitch if they struggle to score. Mind you, if they score early on I could see Reading getting battered. I've a funny feeling Brum might get the chop.

Interesting to see so many pick Cardiff, had snowgate and the Morrison thing never happened would that still have been the semi that everyone wanted? 

Warnock even with a lack of eyebrows has been round the block and again, as has Bruce, 2 legs v those two would be a difficult task. 

Can Fulham really go 27 games unbeaten? Can’t help but feel their game would present is with better opportunities to sucker punch them. 

10 minutes ago, David said:

Interesting to see so many pick Cardiff, had snowgate and the Morrison thing never happened would that still have been the semi that everyone wanted? 

Warnock even with a lack of eyebrows has been round the block and again, as has Bruce, 2 legs v those two would be a difficult task. 

Can Fulham really go 27 games unbeaten? Can’t help but feel their game would present is with better opportunities to sucker punch them. 

Cardiff play a style of football similar to ours (except they try to score again when they are winning) are we are more at home against these types of teams rather than ones that play the ball of the grass.

We have also taken more points off them than Fulham, unbeaten in both games, and then there is the possibility that Fulham humiliate us, don’t think Cardiff would do that.

I wouldn’t worry about their unbeaten run, stats won’t win the playoffs.

6 hours ago, ramblur said:

Not so sure about the first bit, mate. If you can match Cardiff's work rate you start to have a chance. If a team fighting for their Championship lives can't at least do that, it'd be a bit of a disgrace. I often think a team in Reading's position is better off playing away. An away support is less likely to get on the team's back, and want to try and roar their lads on. Cardiff's fans, on the other hand, could easily transmit tension to the pitch if they struggle to score. Mind you, if they score early on I could see Reading getting battered. I've a funny feeling Brum might get the chop.

I think Cardiff will be too strong for Reading on Sunday and we will get either Fulham or Villa over 2 legs .

Thought we did quite well against Fulham at Pride Park mate but as we know the playoffs are a lottery and anything can happen. 

2 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Cardiff play a style of football similar to ours (except they try to score again when they are winning) are we are more at home against these types of teams rather than ones that play the ball of the grass.

We have also taken more points off them than Fulham, unbeaten in both games, and then there is the possibility that Fulham humiliate us, don’t think Cardiff would do that.

I wouldn’t worry about their unbeaten run, stats won’t win the playoffs.

They do which is why I think it would be more difficult to break them down, I say this after we have just beat them 3-1 which sounds kinda ridiculous, but I can’t see them standing for that again and will be much tighter at the back. 

2nd best defence in the league this year.

Fulham haven’t humiliated us so far this season, 1-1 and 1-2, those results may not tell the full story but the play offs it’s results that matter. 

Just feel they would present better opportunities over the 2 legs to counter them.

Let’s be honest though, doesn’t matter if and who we face, no easy games in the play offs, with Pulis, Bruce and Warnock you have 3 of the most experienced managers in this league. 

8 minutes ago, David said:

They do which is why I think it would be more difficult to break them down, I say this after we have just beat them 3-1 which sounds kinda ridiculous, but I can’t see them standing for that again and will be much tighter at the back. 

Fulham haven’t humiliated us so far this season, 1-1 and 1-2, those results may not tell the full story but the play offs it’s results that matter. 

Just feel they would present better opportunities over the 2 legs to counter them.

Let’s be honest though, doesn’t matter if and who we face, no easy games in the play offs, with Pulis, Bruce and Warnock you have 3 of the most experienced managers in this league. 

Agreed their won’t be an easy game, would be interesting to see who the other teams would like to get in the play offs.

Id still prefer Cardiff, having said that, Fulham got beat in two legs last season against a poor Reading side, so there is hope and the playoffs have proved to be a lottery in the past....let’s just hope we get there to have that chance of getting the winning ticket.

14 minutes ago, David said:

If we could beat Fulham, then you really could say we’ve deserved it, cos we’ll have beaten everyone bar wolves. 

(I don’t know if that ms true with regards to he while league, but certainly in the top 6). 

1 minute ago, TigerTedd said:

If we could beat Fulham, then you really could say we’ve deserved it, cos we’ll have beaten everyone bar wolves. 

(I don’t know if that ms true with regards to he while league, but certainly in the top 6). 

We haven't beaten Fulham either.

Derby 0-2 Wolves
Wolves 2-0 Derby

Derby 3-1 Cardiff
Cardiff 0-0 Derby

Derby 1-2 Fulham
Fulham 1-1 Derby

Derby 2-0 Villa
Villa 1-1  Derby

Derby 1-2 Boro
Boro 0-3 Derby

Utterly pointless table of the current top 6 mini league.

Wolves W7 D0 L3 F14 A9 GD +5 Pts 21

Fulham W5 D3 L2 F15 A10 GD +5 Pts 18

Villa W4 D2 L4 F9 A7 GD 2 Pts 14

Cardiff W4 D2 L4 F11 A11 GD 0 Pts 14

Derby W3 D3 L4 F12 A11 GD +1 Pts 12

Boro W1 D2 L7 F4 A12 GD -8 Pts 5

2 hours ago, curtains said:

I think Cardiff will be too strong for Reading on Sunday and we will get either Fulham or Villa over 2 legs .

Thought we did quite well against Fulham at Pride Park mate but as we know the playoffs are a lottery and anything can happen. 

Am I imagining things, or had Tom Cairney  been out injured for a while ( matching Fulham's indifferent run) before they played us at PP? I thought he looked very dangerous, whatever.

11 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Am I imagining things, or had Tom Cairney  been out injured for a while ( matching Fulham's indifferent run) before they played us at PP? I thought he looked very dangerous, whatever.

Yes he had been injured . 

He will need watching if we play them he’s their playmaker and he’s very good. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Utterly pointless table of the current top 6 mini league.

Wolves W7 D0 L3 F14 A9 GD +5 Pts 21

Fulham W5 D3 L2 F15 A10 GD +5 Pts 18

Villa W4 D2 L4 F9 A7 GD 2 Pts 14

Cardiff W4 D2 L4 F11 A11 GD 0 Pts 14

Derby W3 D3 L4 F12 A11 GD +1 Pts 12

Boro W1 D2 L7 F4 A12 GD -8 Pts 5

You say it is a pointless tabe, but if you posted it on the boro forum, I would expect plenty of their fans to be worried about their play off chances. 

12 minutes ago, curtains said:

Yes he had been injured . 

He will need watching if we play them he’s their playmaker and he’s very good. 

A bit like the Villa lad. I think we were a bit lucky he didn't produce more, because whatever attention we were supposed to be giving him, he didn't seem to take much notice.

1 minute ago, ramblur said:

A bit like the Villa lad. I think we were a bit lucky he didn't produce more, because whatever attention we were supposed to be giving him, he didn't seem to take much notice.

He’s quality.

He will be hard to stop but  we will give it a go I’m sure. 

3 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Grealish and Cairney are both very good and will need to be watched by any team that plays Villa or Fulham. 

Archived