A Story Some Of You Won't Believe

Bob The Badger

Admins, I was trying to figure out where to put this and as it was Derby related went for here, but feel free to move it if it should be elsewhere and sorry for any inconvenience. 

In 1975 my dad was Chairman of the South Peak supporters club and my mum the secretary. Ron Webster was our President and Peter Danial our Vice President with Ronnie being a good friend of my dads as was Colin Boulton.

At the end of the 75 season the supporters club arranged a dinner and dance at the Fishpond in Matlock Bath with Ronnie, Peter, Colin Boulton and Roger Davies attending. Des Anderson also came (and I think Stuart Webb) and they brought the 1st Division Trophy and the Charity Shield.

Note: All 4 of those players were super nice people and Roger Davies was (and still is) a really funny guy and always took the time to talk with me. Not sure that would happen in this day and age with 4 players of a Premier League winning team!

By the end of the night everybody (not me I was only 13) was hammered and the players and Des went home.

They forgot the trophies, or rather everybody thought everybody else was taking them.

Did they send somebody to fetch them the following day?

Nope, they were in my bedroom until Wednesday.

Or rather the first division trophy was because I had a tiny bedroom at the time and I couldn't get the Charity Shield in.

That now would be front page news, just forgetting them because they were pizzed never mind not picking them up, but it was a different era.

Sadly I can’t find any pics I took with them in the garden with my mates who I brought home from school Monday lunch time and my mum and dad died a long time ago so no idea if they had any and I just never found them

But here is a pic taken the previous Saturday night at the Fishpond with me and my best mate.

And yeh, I’m the one with the fat face. Fortunately I grew out of that.

Me and Nick 1st division trophy.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

What a great story ,brilliant.

I've got loads of cool stories as my old man was close friends with Sam Longson and Richard Moore and we would often go in the players lounge after games in the mid 70's and even sit in the directors box.

I gave all my memorabilia to my great nephew including a letter from Sam to my dad regarding the Cloughie firing and thanking him for his support - Yeh he lived to regret supporting Sam over Cloughie from a football standpoint!

I might see if I can get him to scan some of it in and send it back to me.

Yes a brilliant story, which I know to be true as I'm the one with the Charity Shield! The only detail that I think Bob the Badger (God knows where that name came from) has got wrong (I think) is that the picture was taken at the front of the stage at the Pavillion in Matlock Bath, across the road from the the Fishpond. You'll notice on the picture that the Championship trophy is minus the lid as below. It was very poorly fitting and although it was weighted down underneath with a crudely fitted piece of wood, it still would not sit straight, hence I think it was left behind to make sure it did not get lost. Truly great days, probably never to be repeated.

image.png.09d25eef37ba7d91519f129adb2fae48.png

1 minute ago, Eatonram said:

Yes a brilliant story, which I know to be true as I'm the one with the Charity Shield! The only detail that I think Bob the Badger (God knows where that name came from) has got wrong (I think) is that the picture was taken at the front of the stage at the Pavillion in Matlock Bath, across the road from the the Fishpond. You'll notice on the picture that the Championship trophy is minus the lid as below. It was very poorly fitting and although it was weighted down underneath with a crudely fitted piece of wood, it still would not sit straight, hence I think it was left behind to make sure it did not get lost. Truly great days, probably never to be repeated.

image.png.09d25eef37ba7d91519f129adb2fae48.png

Was it the Pav?

Yeh looking at the stage it does look like that.

And why not Bob The Badger?

I'm feeling oppressed, don't oppress me!

Great story Bob. Mine is not so interesting but I will share it nonetheless. 

I was present at the Mayor's reception at the Council House in 1975.  After the reception I joined the players and officials on the coach that took us to the Pennine Hotel for the main reception.  I remember as I was walking to the coach with the players I was asked numerous times for my autograph. Who they thought I was God only knows but I was not going to disappoint so I signed away lol.  At the main reception evening I remember getting pissed with Dave Mackay and Des Anderson. Good old days.

Had trouble uploading a pic but hopefully you can see it. I am the guy wearing the hideous velvet suit.  Roy Mac with me of course and Ronnie Webster behind me (hidden) 

Screenshot_20180429-151521.png

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Admins, I was trying to figure out where to put this and as it was Derby related went for here, but feel free to move it if it should be elsewhere and sorry for any inconvenience. 

In 1975 my dad was Chairman of the South Peak supporters club and my mum the secretary. Ron Webster was our President and Peter Danial our Vice President with Ronnie being a good friend of my dads as was Colin Boulton.

At the end of the 75 season the supporters club arranged a dinner and dance at the Fishpond in Matlock Bath with Ronnie, Peter, Colin Boulton and Roger Davies attending. Des Anderson also came (and I think Stuart Webb) and they brought the 1st Division Trophy and the Charity Shield.

Note: All 4 of those players were super nice people and Roger Davies was (and still is) a really funny guy and always took the time to talk with me. Not sure that would happen in this day and age with 4 players of a Premier League winning team!

By the end of the night everybody (not me I was only 13) was hammered and the players and Des went home.

They forgot the trophies, or rather everybody thought everybody else was taking them.

Did they send somebody to fetch them the following day?

Nope, they were in my bedroom until Wednesday.

Or rather the first division trophy was because I had a tiny bedroom at the time and I couldn't get the Charity Shield in.

That now would be front page news, just forgetting them because they were pizzed never mind not picking them up, but it was a different era.

Sadly I can’t find any pics I took with them in the garden with my mates who I brought home from school Monday lunch time and my mum and dad died a long time ago so no idea if they had any and I just never found them

But here is a pic taken the previous Saturday night at the Fishpond with me and my best mate.

And yeh, I’m the one with the fat face. Fortunately I grew out of that.

Me and Nick 1st division trophy.jpg

You've missed out on a fortune there @Bob The Badger. It's a great story though. @loweman2 would have given you a kings ransom to add those to his collection.

1 hour ago, oldtimeram said:

Great story Bob. Mine is not so interesting but I will share it nonetheless. 

I was present at the Mayor's reception at the Council House in 1975.  After the reception I joined the players and officials on the coach that took us to the Pennine Hotel for the main reception.  I remember as I was walking to the coach with the players I was asked numerous times for my autograph. Who they thought I was God only knows but I was not going to disappoint so I signed away lol.  At the main reception evening I remember getting pissed with Dave Mackay and Des Anderson. Good old days.

Had trouble uploading a pic but hopefully you can see it. I am the guy wearing the hideous velvet suit.  Roy Mac with me of course and Ronnie Webster behind me (hidden) 

Screenshot_20180429-151521.png

You look a bit like Bobby Moore to me!

I love the old interviews Derby TV are doing, but I really wish they could persuade Ronnie Webster, Colin Boulton and King Kev to come on, that would be awesome.

Archived