A Story Some Of You Won't Believe

Bob The Badger

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Great story Bob. Mine is not so interesting but I will share it nonetheless. 

I was present at the Mayor's reception at the Council House in 1975.  After the reception I joined the players and officials on the coach that took us to the Pennine Hotel for the main reception.  I remember as I was walking to the coach with the players I was asked numerous times for my autograph. Who they thought I was God only knows but I was not going to disappoint so I signed away lol.  At the main reception evening I remember getting pissed with Dave Mackay and Des Anderson. Good old days.

Had trouble uploading a pic but hopefully you can see it. I am the guy wearing the hideous velvet suit.  Roy Mac with me of course and Ronnie Webster behind me (hidden) 

Screenshot_20180429-151521.png

Blimey, it seems like yesterday. I worked in the Town Clerk's Department then and we were drafted in to "help" on the night by the Mayor's Officer [as we had been in 1971/72]. We were invited to the evening bash too. I thought we ended up at Bailey's Club but it could have been the Pennine. Anyway, a great night [I had attended nearly every game that season] and a chance to be introduced to Dave Mackay and Des Anderson. I walked home on air [could have been the drink..], woke up the following morning feeling very off it and spent almost a month in bed with a serious dose of Glandular Fever that kept me off work for 4 months and away from playing Sport for over a year. Some night.......

4 hours ago, Eatonram said:

Yes a brilliant story, which I know to be true as I'm the one with the Charity Shield! The only detail that I think Bob the Badger (God knows where that name came from) has got wrong (I think) is that the picture was taken at the front of the stage at the Pavillion in Matlock Bath, across the road from the the Fishpond. You'll notice on the picture that the Championship trophy is minus the lid as below. It was very poorly fitting and although it was weighted down underneath with a crudely fitted piece of wood, it still would not sit straight, hence I think it was left behind to make sure it did not get lost. Truly great days, probably never to be repeated.

image.png.09d25eef37ba7d91519f129adb2fae48.png

Wow the Pav that takes me back 20 odd years. 

2 hours ago, Gritters said:

Wow the Pav that takes me back 20 odd years. 

Only 20? lol it was 80's and 90's for me.

I can remember when that place used to be full on a Thursday, Friday and Saturday night when Phil Grey (or Roy Orbison) was coining it.

Had some great nights out there, many after long away trips pub crawling on the way back from games to try and time it so we hit Matlock at closing and into the Pav.

Good times.

8 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Admins, I was trying to figure out where to put this and as it was Derby related went for here, but feel free to move it if it should be elsewhere and sorry for any inconvenience. 

In 1975 my dad was Chairman of the South Peak supporters club and my mum the secretary. Ron Webster was our President and Peter Danial our Vice President with Ronnie being a good friend of my dads as was Colin Boulton.

At the end of the 75 season the supporters club arranged a dinner and dance at the Fishpond in Matlock Bath with Ronnie, Peter, Colin Boulton and Roger Davies attending. Des Anderson also came (and I think Stuart Webb) and they brought the 1st Division Trophy and the Charity Shield.

Note: All 4 of those players were super nice people and Roger Davies was (and still is) a really funny guy and always took the time to talk with me. Not sure that would happen in this day and age with 4 players of a Premier League winning team!

By the end of the night everybody (not me I was only 13) was hammered and the players and Des went home.

They forgot the trophies, or rather everybody thought everybody else was taking them.

Did they send somebody to fetch them the following day?

Nope, they were in my bedroom until Wednesday.

Or rather the first division trophy was because I had a tiny bedroom at the time and I couldn't get the Charity Shield in.

That now would be front page news, just forgetting them because they were pizzed never mind not picking them up, but it was a different era.

Sadly I can’t find any pics I took with them in the garden with my mates who I brought home from school Monday lunch time and my mum and dad died a long time ago so no idea if they had any and I just never found them

But here is a pic taken the previous Saturday night at the Fishpond with me and my best mate.

And yeh, I’m the one with the fat face. Fortunately I grew out of that.

Me and Nick 1st division trophy.jpg

Best post EVER. 

12 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Only 20? lol it was 80's and 90's for me.

I can remember when that place used to be full on a Thursday, Friday and Saturday night when Phil Grey (or Roy Orbison) was coining it.

Had some great nights out there, many after long away trips pub crawling on the way back from games to try and time it so we hit Matlock at closing and into the Pav.

Good times.

Yes it is longer than I thought. It would be 30 years ago. Time flies. I used to do exactly the same. 

Archived