Investing in Youth

Carnero

Investing in Youth  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With prospects including Mitchell, Bateman, Bogle, Lowe, Hanson, Guy, Elsnik, Bennett, Vernam, Zanazala, Walker surely we should be able to compete in this division with at least 2 or 3 academy products in every starting XI?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have tried to vote no but can’t submit no vote as it requires me to then vote on how many so totally flawed vote ,,

i take it we are then also going to be ok to bring in loans that have clauses from the loaning club that we must play them or pay penalty clauses ,,

first team has to be on merit or else it all becomes rotten ,,

i see what your trying to say but it’s wrong ,, we should be hoping we produce enough quality that gets in first team but making it a policy we have to play any chosen number is wrong

I think two is realistic, it doesn't have to be the same two every week (unless they turn out to be good enough to keep their place).

What you don't want to do is put too many young lads in because you run the risk of results dropping and the fans getting on their backs (which lets be honest will happen with our lot) and you hit their confidence before they have had a chance to bed in.

I voted no as it could get quite messy and hinder a manager if he is forced to play a certain number of academy players in each game. 

Who would enforce that policy? the chairman, owner.....wouldn't that be seen as interfering with team selections?

How long before the cries of let the manager pick who he wants?

You may only have one or two that are ready to step up, what happens if they are suspended or out with a lengthy injury?

If the club has a general policy in place where one of the KPI's is to introduce players to the first team from the academy, I would be fine with this. When a club puts a lot of money into the academy you want to see results, but there needs to be some understanding also that there is nothing to gain by forcing the issue, dragging youth players through to fill a quota.

6 minutes ago, archied said:

Have tried to vote no but can’t submit no vote as it requires me to then vote on how many so totally flawed vote ,,

i take it we are then also going to be ok to bring in loans that have clauses from the loaning club that we must play them or pay penalty clauses ,,

first team has to be on merit or else it all becomes rotten ,,

i see what your trying to say but it’s wrong ,, we should be hoping we produce enough quality that gets in first team but making it a policy we have to play any chosen number is wrong

Vote "No" to Q1 & "Other" to Q2 then! :blink:

3 minutes ago, David said:

If the club has a general policy in place where one of the KPI's is to introduce players to the first team from the academy, I would be fine with this.

This is my problem though... we've had this supposed policy for years and it doesn't happen due to the need for instant results and chasing promotion!

6 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

It depends entirely how you are defining 'DCFC Academy product'.  Huddlestone has started almost every game this season, for example.  Jamie Hanson is 22 now, does he still count as an academy product?

Yes to Hanson.

I suppose the policy would need restricting to U23 year olds as Huddlestone is pushing it!

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh look we agree, one of us must be wrong then :lol:

See you haven’t even so much as considered we might both be ?

Not many people have voted on this so I'll give it a bump.

I voted yes because although I partly agree with David that it should be enough for it to be a stated intention, we all know it isn't happening in practice.

With a play safe manager like Rowett there is always some excuse. He's far too risk averse to bring a youngster on to try to turn a game in our favour, even though he sees the more experienced players fail to make an impact time and time again.

I know it's only a rumour but I will be gutted if Luke Thomas goes off to West Ham without us ever having had a real chance to see what he could do at first team level.

I voted Yes, not because I think it's viable right now but because it would signal the right intention.

And it's perhaps more reasonable to say "In the squad, with positive intent to be used as substitute". You have a challenge of how you police that, but again it signals intent.

The academy at the moment seems like a stunning waste of money. Forget Hughes, Hendricks, and Huddlestone - they all came through before all the recent investment.

Reading that last sentence I've stumbled on the solution. Only have players in the academy whose surnames begin with H.

26 minutes ago, angieram said:

I voted yes because although I partly agree with David that it should be enough for it to be a stated intention, we all know it isn't happening in practice.

With a play safe manager like Rowett there is always some excuse. He's far too risk averse to bring a youngster on to try to turn a game in our favour, even though he sees the more experienced players fail to make an impact time and time again.

I know it's only a rumour but I will be gutted if Luke Thomas goes off to West Ham without us ever having had a real chance to see what he could do at first team level.

Thomas is going nowhere , I’m willing to bet he will be one getting his chance with us next season

Next season will be intresting for example at left back we have Forsyth Ollson and lowe and if the club believes lowe will be decent then one of the others need to move on, personally Ollson has always been in and out because when it comes down to it he is not a great defender and won’t be getting any better so we may get a bit of money back on him and surly the club thinks Forsyth will be fit enough after two bad injuries and is the better defender and lowe can have a real chance of playing 

there will be other areas with a similar scenario - Elsnick - who can he dislodge from the match day squad - Thomas as well, we have to assume that Baird will be on his way so are we going to allow opportunity to a reserve right back?

It’s obvious we need to bring the average age of the squad down and our recruitment from now on should only buy players who will still have a sell on value so probably no signings over 28.And as for blooding younger players you can’t do it for the sake of it if they are not good enough but ideally at least 3 in a 1st team squad.

42 minutes ago, angieram said:

Cheers Angie :thumbsup:

I think I should have included "POLL:" in the subject title, not done one before so wasn't sure how it'd all work!

#PollFail

100%. Derby desperately need a rebuild. I thought that was GRs remit but instead the squad has got older. An average age of 30 against Burton, and the side has looked as away from a promotion candidate as any time in the last 5 years. 

You have to drop back to come back stronger. I would be more content sat in 15th place now, having played the kids all season, and built a platform to launch from, than I am sat in 7th place with an aging squad and no philosophy. 

Archived