What have we achieved since we were relegated 10 years ago?

Duracell

Poll  

165 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sith Happens
7 minutes ago, europia said:

Maybe so. I wonder, where do people think we would be if Nigel was still at the club ? 

It's impossible to know,  I think we would have had play off seasons minimum.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Can't let that pass, there was never any real sign of that happening until Mac came in.

We won't prove it one way or another 

Definitely the 14/15 run in. We were flying, even after losing at home to forest we responded by winning 4 on the spin. Losing Martin and Eustace particularly cost us dear. We’ve not really hit those heights since. 

Another low not mentioned was losing Shaun Barker to that shocking injury. We beat forest in a god awful match but that soured it. So much commitment, id think he’d still be here now doing a job even at 36.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Think in fairness sacking Nigel should also be on the most disappointing list too.

At the time, I agree. I was fuming. Probably the most angry I've been with a sacking. 

Didn't take long to see how he/his staff had been holding some very good footballers back though. The decision was justified in weeks. 

14/15 was way more disappointing that the play off final.

I was gutted on the long road rider back to Derby after Wembley, but in a couple of weeks I was optimistic for 14/15, we were playing brilliant football and the start to 14/15 re-affirmed all my hopes. Signing Christie and Thorne (obviously the injury was a blow) and building on that young exciting team. Then Jordon Ibe on loan, winning 5-1 against Fulham, 5-0 against Wolves, 10 hours of clean sheets at one point if I remember right, we were the team everyone wanted to come to. Even when Ibe went we got in Tom Ince who bagged 2 on his debut. We had a team who all wanted to be at the club, everyone was pulling in the same direction.

Then Steve got his head turned and it all went so badly wrong. I couldn't ever forgive him for that. We gave him a chance when he was a laughings stock in English football, and he wanted to go to a team flirting with relegation and owned by Del Boy. I will never ever understand it. We should have gone up and been what Southampton were at that point, what Bournemouth went and did but with a bigger fanbase, more history and better facilities. And he ruined it. I hope he looks back at that with regret for the rest of his life. He could have been in our top 5 managers of all time (Clough, Mackay, Smith and Cox) if he had done that. It makes me angry writing about it.

Out of curiosity, if we'd be in the same position we are right now - would anyone have preferred we get relegated at some point in the 10 years and then promoted back up, just to shake things up?

19 hours ago, Duracell said:

Incidentally, I voted for selling Will Hughes as the greatest disappointment. Talk about selling the family silver...

If I could have selected two I would have gone for this as well. So frustrating but great at the same time seeing him starting to flourish on the main stage. Playing with far better players obviously helps but he's influencing games evertime I've watched him for Watford. 

What annoys me is he's playing in that role behind the striker (yes we have Vydra) but I don't think he was ever utilised there for Derby, even though I'm sure I read an interview he held when he was with us saying that was his most preferred role in the side. :( 

Miss you Will 

On 13/04/2018 at 09:35, BridgfordRam said:

14/15 was way more disappointing that the play off final.

I was gutted on the long road rider back to Derby after Wembley, but in a couple of weeks I was optimistic for 14/15, we were playing brilliant football and the start to 14/15 re-affirmed all my hopes. Signing Christie and Thorne (obviously the injury was a blow) and building on that young exciting team. Then Jordon Ibe on loan, winning 5-1 against Fulham, 5-0 against Wolves, 10 hours of clean sheets at one point if I remember right, we were the team everyone wanted to come to. Even when Ibe went we got in Tom Ince who bagged 2 on his debut. We had a team who all wanted to be at the club, everyone was pulling in the same direction.

Then Steve got his head turned and it all went so badly wrong. I couldn't ever forgive him for that. We gave him a chance when he was a laughings stock in English football, and he wanted to go to a team flirting with relegation and owned by Del Boy. I will never ever understand it. We should have gone up and been what Southampton were at that point, what Bournemouth went and did but with a bigger fanbase, more history and better facilities. And he ruined it. I hope he looks back at that with regret for the rest of his life. He could have been in our top 5 managers of all time (Clough, Mackay, Smith and Cox) if he had done that. It makes me angry writing about it.

Steve McClaren turning down Newcastle injured Whitbread, Bucko, Granty, George, Eustace, Omar, Martin, Bent? 

i cant believe more people aint voted for hendrick i know we got good money for him but this is when we have declined massively the midfield we had with hendrick, hughes, bryson and a fit george thorne (any of these 3 in our midfield) was our best midfield for years it was premier league quality as you can tell because both of them have made the step up and both of them have done well! thus was our biggest turning point. 

8 hours ago, cannable said:

Steve McClaren turning down Newcastle injured Whitbread, Bucko, Granty, George, Eustace, Omar, Martin, Bent? 

Injuries were unlucky that season definitely, but there was naivety and a sense that Mac didn't care:

Thorne was unlucky at the start of the season, but we had time to prepare with 6 week of transfer window left and an open loan window. Whitbread, I didn't even know he was injured or that he played that season. Granty was covered by Butland early in the season before his head was turned. Eustace was a gutting injury but relying on a 35 year old for a season (Omar couldn't do the physical bit of the holding role) was ridiculous. Again, that happened in January so we had time for a replacement.

The strikers injuries were annoying and the biggest faultering point, but what made it more annoying was that Mac completely ignored Kenwyne Jones! We played with a big, physical striker to give us our shape, and we only had Bent for backup. Steve says there were no players available, two days later Bournemouth sign Jones on loan for half a season. Again, tactical naivety and struck me as someone who didn't care.

15 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

At the time, I agree. I was fuming. Probably the most angry I've been with a sacking. 

Didn't take long to see how he/his staff had been holding some very good footballers back though. The decision was justified in weeks. 

Weeks? Must be a typo.

Took about halftime.

I dont think the narrative of the football club fits us at all. All this, "everything's in place here", "premier league team in waiting", "the facilities are second to none" jibberjabber previously "global brand" and that. Always reiterated with a new signing or a contract renewal. It all means very little to us supporters who only really crave something we can get abit excited about. Some decent football, a few admirable heads thrown in, bit of flair, bit of grit. Some "o0o0o0's" and "Ahhhh's" rather than "here we go again's" and "uh ffs's".  Somet we can get a buzz off. All that talk other chat just builds expectations. All this chasing past glories and talking ourselves up only ever leads us to a hiding to nothing. A club of our fortunes we should be in some siege mentality or some equivalent, petty much always. We should be pleased with where we are at the minute considering we've done nothing for effing years. But we do kind of look like the sulky self entitled kid with all the gear..... no clue what theyre doing. What you saying Melvyn? Dont want to sound ungrateful or owt. 

On 12 April 2018 at 16:04, Duracell said:

Incidentally, I voted for selling Will Hughes as the greatest disappointment. Talk about selling the family silver...

So did I.

Archived