Disney (& other parks) in Florida advice

Wolfie

Despite going to Florida every year to visit my in-laws, we have so far avoided going to any of the Orlando parks until my little one reaches an age to make it worthwhile - and so she can properly remember it.

For this reason, we're planning next years trip (Easter) to include some parks and, never having been myself, I'm looking for advice as to which ones we should be going to - bearing in mind Little Miss Wolfie will be 6 years old by then.

I'm thinking maybe 3-4 parks - a day in each & then spend the rest of the time with the folks as usual. But which parks?. Is this enough time?

Any advice & tips would be appreciated.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Despite going to Florida every year to visit my in-laws, we have so far avoided going to any of the Orlando parks until my little one reaches an age to make it worthwhile - and so she can properly remember it.

For this reason, we're planning next years trip (Easter) to include some parks and, never having been myself, I'm looking for advice as to which ones we should be going to - bearing in mind Little Miss Wolfie will be 6 years old by then.

I'm thinking maybe 3-4 parks - a day in each & then spend the rest of the time with the folks as usual. But which parks?. Is this enough time?

Any advice & tips would be appreciated.

My mrs is an expert on Disney. We've just got back from Paris and she is planning the Disney cruise for next year which sails across the other side of Florida (I think).

They say you need 2 days in each park, and then a days rest. Something I strongly advise. You do a lot more walking etc than you think.

2 days might be a bit much in Universal, it depends on what rides you intend on going on. 

She has loads of tips on the extra magic hours in the morning etc. Will try amd get round to asking her for some tips.

If I was you, I would watch vlogs from a bloke called Tim Tracker. Where to eat, the costs, the hints and tips. That is where she gets her info from.

Or there is an English duo called Krispy Smore. They vlog their trips and used to work there too.

Oh and L and R dreaming are very, very good on vlogging. I would start watching their vlogs. They stay outside the parks too.

I don't even like Disney :lol:

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

For this reason, we're planning next years trip (Easter) to include some parks and, never having been myself, I'm looking for advice as to which ones we should be going to - bearing in mind Little Miss Wolfie will be 6 years old by then.

Digressing slightly from your main question, but I was the same, decided it was futile taking my youngest to Disney (Paris) until he was old enough to remember it

I ended up taking him for his 9th Birthday - and we had an amazing time, but when I recently asked him about it (he's now 22) he said he barely remembers anything about it :(

Thinking about it - I can barely remember anything concrete about family holidays prior to the age of 10/11

Is that normal? Maybe it will be different now with so much technology to capture/relive individual moments. All our family holidays are remembered via a set of 36 Kodak prints - at least 12 of which are blurred to buggery or obscured by my Dad's thumb

For a first trip I would suggest Disney and invest in one of their FastPasses, which allow you to reserve time slots for up to 3 rides per day. these give you wait times of around 10 minutes

Standard queues typically are a couple of hours by about 9.30am - the yanks are an early bunch.

Universal have a different fast pass system where you pay and extra $100 per person per day and use the fast pass queue - no time slot booking.

There's a water based one as well with an artificial beach and water slides which is quite good fun as a bit of a change from schlepping round and queuing.

Oh - and watch for hidden costs. We bought passes in advance in uk and thought that was great - only to discover when we arrived that parking charges are much higher than you're used to in UK. $25 per day typically, but of course the attendants will try and sell you "privileged parking" for around $40 which only looked marginally closer (can be 20 minute walk to the entrance from some of the car parks).

Its a great trip tho.

All Disney tickets come with fast passes, you get an initial 3 that you can choose 30 days prior, and then when these are used you can book another via your phone.  Universal, I would recommend booking one nights stay at their hotel to get front of the line passes for the whole family, that being said, if your Daughter is only 6 then I wouldn’t take her there unless she is a thrill seeker or likes Potter.

Easter time will be busy, however it’s quite easy to do Hollywood, Animal Kingdom and Epcot in a day each, though once again if you are only going for a few days I would cross the latter if the list as it’s more for the drinking and eating around the world.  Magic Kingdom can be done in a day in a rush, however best to spend two days there, as I guess this will give your daughter the most benefit with meeting the characters.  

We stay on site, you get the added bonus of buses to and from the parks, and if booked at the right time free meals, whichever way you do it, she will love it.

5 hours ago, Lambchop said:

I can’t imagine anything worse. 

To be fair it's up there on the torture list for me but seeing as we do go to Florida so often, it'd be daft not to take advantage for the little one.

Plus, my father in law keeps talking about moving back to Blighty, so it feels like if we don't do it soon, it'll be harder/more expensive in future.

Been to all the major theme parks in Florida so might actually have some use on this forum here for once:lol:

Given your daughters six, Disney is definately the best choice, might be a more painful experience for you tho! The queues at Disney are the largest of all the parks, like others have said you get a fast pass but you can only reserve three rides a day with that, so be prepared for Disney parks to take a while to cover. Magic kingdom is especially busy all the time, though it is open later than the others so jumping across there when some of the others have shut is sometimes a shout. Tickets will likely be valid for you whole holiday dependent how long your out there so I’m sure you’ll have time, imagine your daughter will be well up for meeting charectars etc. (Went there with my younger sister a few years back before I get accused of being an 18 year old stalking round disneyland:lol:)

In terms of the other Disney parks, Hollywood studios tends to be the next busiest but it’s not too big and the Star Wars stuff is good, hope you rate the imperial March tho cause it’s the constant backing Music! Epcot has some decent parts but it’s a bit outdated, animal kingdom I suspect will be a good one for you with all the animals, there’s some good rides as well and it tends to be the quietest one (oxymoron really but..). 

Personally I’d always says universal is the best of the three parks, but perhaps not when she’s that young. They have a fast pass service, it’s expensive but you can literally ride every ride with little wait, can cover each park in a day that way. Dunno if your daughter is into Harry Potter but that world in universal is the best thing in all the parks, it’s absolutely fantastic in its detail, even for adults its still quite something, the level of interaction is great too. Some great rides there too for coaster fans like me (proud to say I’ve been on every major rollercoaster in every major theme park in Florida cause I’m that sad:ph34r:) especially in the marvel land in islands of adventure. Disney is highly impressive for the attention to the little things there and for kids, but overall for all ages universal comes out on top id say, tho nothing can beat Disney for charectars I wouldn’t imagine, as well as the shows they put on.

Seaworld parks have the best rollercoasters if you fancy being scared shitless like I was for a week, but I wouldn’t imagine there’s too much there for younger kids aside from the animals. (Tho discovery cove is an experience, if you fancy being hugged by a manta ray:lol:)

Christ I’ve just realised I can write more about this than the football, imma sign off and head to a different forum:lol:

For a 6 year old then Animal Kingdom is the best... loads of smaller rides and interactive shows....but be warned.... I went a few weeks ago, got there for 7:00 and people were sprinting across the car park to the gate to get on the new Pandora ride.... (it is amazing by the way) but my advice would be to plan 2 days there, one to go on the Avatar ride and another to go on the rest of the park.

As other have said Universal Studios and especially Harry Potter is amazing, by far the best park in Orlando.

On 12/04/2018 at 12:19, StivePesley said:

Digressing slightly from your main question, but I was the same, decided it was futile taking my youngest to Disney (Paris) until he was old enough to remember it

I ended up taking him for his 9th Birthday - and we had an amazing time, but when I recently asked him about it (he's now 22) he said he barely remembers anything about it :(

Thinking about it - I can barely remember anything concrete about family holidays prior to the age of 10/11

Is that normal? Maybe it will be different now with so much technology to capture/relive individual moments. All our family holidays are remembered via a set of 36 Kodak prints - at least 12 of which are blurred to buggery or obscured by my Dad's thumb

That's really interesting about your son barely remembering it when he was 9. What age would kids be too old for it and not particularly enjoy it?

6 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

That's really interesting about your son barely remembering it when he was 9. What age would kids be too old for it and not particularly enjoy it?

We went again when he was 12 and he remembers that visit well. He absolutely loved the rides and the experience, but was too old to enjoy the crap disney-ness of it (ie having your photo taken with people dressed up as the characters etc)

Archived