Curtis Davies

ram93

Best 500k we've ever spent?! He was immense yet again yesterday, and hardly put a foot wrong all season. I can't remember the last time we had a solid centre back pairing like this.  Great buy from Gary, and I think if it wasn't for Vydz being on fire this season he'd get pretty close to winning Player of the Season.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reads the game so, so well. Think many don’t notice the job he does because he does it so effortlessely, but him being in there next to Keogh has allows Keogh to play his best game, and form arguably the best partnership at the back in many a year. Davies is the best out and out defender I’ve seen to put on the derby shirt in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

Wasn’t sure about him for a while, the way he kicks the ball looks so awkward, but he is a fantastic defender, hasn’t put a foot wrong since Reading

I remember this being a complaint about Keogh. Bizarre. Who gives a crap, as long as it reaches the man. (Which in both players cases it does. So what’s the problem..?!).

Vydra, Carson, Keogh, Davies. It'll be a tough player of the year vote this year. All absolutely exceptional. Davies and Keogh is the best centre half pairing in my lifetime at Derby. It feels like it doesn't matter which fullback we use, because the centre of our defence is absolutely rock solid. This is why I don't see the ''collapse'' of previous seasons, in the spine of the team we are so good. Huddlestone, Thorne and Ledley give the defence so much cover and Keogh and Davies are both up there for best centre halves in the league.

23 minutes ago, cosmic said:

I remember this being a complaint about Keogh. Bizarre. Who gives a crap, as long as it reaches the man. (Which in both players cases it does. So what’s the problem..?!).

Not criticising him, he just does have a strange technique. Like I said it doesn’t matter because he’s a fantastic defender.

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

It’s statement that always bemuses me. Man who has more than likely never played a decent standard of football is sat at a keyboard criticising a professional footballers technique ?

4 hours ago, cannable said:

Shackell’s a top centre-half in this division. 

Davies is twice the player. Reads everything as well as Shacks but is also aggressive.

So far, amazing. 

Davies is also the de facto leader of this team. Just watch the man in the pre match huddle. If he bled, little rams would  prob be running out of there ...

The big football statistics site WhoScored ranks every player in the Championship. I think their methodology must be a little flawed because the top three players in the list consistently through the season have been centrebacks, with Sol Bamba at Cardiff and Willy Bolly at Wolves vying for the tag of best player. For most of the season, Curtis has been third on the list. However, with his recent performances and the transformation of the Derby defence into a machine for making clean sheets, he has now comfortably moved through into first place. Statistically (apparently) the best player in the league!

5a78481cb1b12_20180205WhoScoredCurtisDavies.JPG.73ebba456adedd1d57e62002b7de0e7e.JPG

17 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

The big football statistics site WhoScored ranks every player in the Championship. I think their methodology must be a little flawed because the top three players in the list consistently through the season have been centrebacks, with Sol Bamba at Cardiff and Willy Bolly at Wolves vying for the tag of best player. For most of the season, Curtis has been third on the list. However, with his recent performances and the transformation of the Derby defence into a machine for making clean sheets, he has now comfortably moved through into first place. Statistically (apparently) the best player in the league!

5a78481cb1b12_20180205WhoScoredCurtisDavies.JPG.73ebba456adedd1d57e62002b7de0e7e.JPG

I’ve thought for a little while now that their system needs revamping. Bryson at holding midfield was playing as well as the Bryson that scored 16 and created 15 apparently. Carson’s only around our 14th best player this season as well according to it?

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The rating system's not perfect, but it's not far off. Statistically it's somewhat easier for defenders to build up numbers as they have some of the simpler measurables (clearances, headers won for example) than attackers, but key passes (assists for chances rather than goals) and shots are recorded with a little higher of a positive score so it helps keep them a little more balanced. It just doesn't reflect players who do the unmeasurable well or poorly. 

For an extreme example, if you imagine a defender who scores a hat-trick in a game but on four occasions in the game vacates his position and allows the opposition to score without at any point effecting or getting close to the play; only the positive actions would be recorded so they'd probably have a 9.5 or something.

Goalkeeper's are recorded on the same measures as outfield players with the exception of saves. So if a goalkeeper isn't a great passer and has a good defense keeping the number of shots down then their rating wont be high regardless of how good they are. There's nowt to be done about that unless you started creating an algorithm for the difficulty of the save, which is opinion based.

Unfortunately, only things players do with the ball (or have done against them with it) can be entered into a system like this; but the algorithm (of how many points a single action awards you) is adjusted every season based on the game evolving and developing and reviews of who's maybe in the wrong position when whoscored scores are compared to POTY votes etc.

Looking back through another thread which revived the topic 'Keogh, always got a mistake in him', which I now can't find, I'm struck by one thing. 

Since Davies arrival, all thoughts of Sir Jake of Buxton have been extinguished!

I loved Jake, and was excited, kind of, when he was linked with a move to the back in the summer, but Curtis has put all such thoughts of Bucko to bed.

He's the first incoming central defender in god knows how many years who's better than Sir Jake on the pitch, and has played a massive part in our current league position. 

Keogh has always been golden in my eyes, finally we've found him a partner who can measure up to Jake's legacy, and form a decent partnership at the back.

He had a bit of a dodgy start. I thought he was pooh at Sunderland on opening day.

Since then he's continued to improve from 'meh' to 'solid' to a bit of a beast.

I've always thought Keogh is good. But whatever he's done different this season seems to be winning people over. 

Hope both stay injury free. 

Archived