How big are Derby County ? 4 questions

Cockney Jimmy

Is a 40,000 plus stadium realistic or necessary in reality ?

Can we ever be a top 8-10 club prem club year in year out consistently  ?

Will we ever be as famous as Forest or is that simply unlikely ?

If Mel was approached by the mega rich should we encourage him to sell aka Man City and go spending bonkers or keep it local and ‘in the family’.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Cockney Jimmy said:

Is a 40,000 stadium realistic ?

Yes

Can we ever be a top 10 club prem club year in year out consistently  ?

Unlikely,unfortunately. 

Will we ever be as famous as Forest or is that unlikely? 

Who are Forest?

If Mel was approached by the mega rich should we encourage him to sell aka Man City and go spending bonkers or keep it local and ‘in the family’.

Absolutely not for the first part, agree with the second part. 

9 minutes ago, Cockney Jimmy said:

1. Not necessary at the moment but if/when we are an established premier league club then I'd be looking to expand

2. Not anytime soon unless we were bought by mega rich owners.

3. What does famous mean in this context? Famous to who?

4. There are  lots of rumours circulating that Mel has discussed ownership of the club with a Chinese advisory group.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

1. Not necessary at the moment but if/when we are an established premier league club then I'd be looking to expand

2. Not anytime soon unless we were bought by mega rich owners.

3. What does famous mean in this context? Famous to who?

4. There are  lots of rumours circulating that Mel has discussed ownership of the club with a Chinese advisory group.

Question 3

famous to the worldwide football community 

13 minutes ago, Cockney Jimmy said:

1. Yes if we consolidate in the PL.

2. History says no, we flatter for awhile and then self implode..

3. No much between us now.

4. God I hope so.. My views on uncle bumble are well known. 

1 minute ago, Cockney Jimmy said:

Question 3

famous to the worldwide football community 

Depends whether it is for the right or wrong reasons. We are just as if not more famous than them. The first thing that comes into neutral fans' heads when thinking of Derby County is 'That season' in the premier league in 07/08.

Probably not. Sure you may get attendances around that mark with PL football, but it will likely be a short stay there and then we'll be back in the 2nd tier playing infront of 25,000 - 30,000 again.

No. When we go up, we'll just be another ticking bomb. If we're lucky, we'll have a good decade of top-flight football. But just like Blackburn, Bolton, Fulham and now likely West Brom and possibly Stoke, it will come to an end.

No. Everybody knows they were once European champions. Nobody outside of Derby knows The Rams once beat Benfica or Real Madrid and reached a European Cup semi-final. Nobody cares either.

Absoloutely. If you want Derby to become the best, play great football and watch world class players put on the shirt, then you need megabucks and only a sellout to the mega rich could see this happen.

I'd personally be satisfied with just doing a Swansea. Playing good football, winning a cup (even if it's the League Cup) and entering Europe. Watching Derby beat someone like Valencia 3-0 in the Mestalla is the pinnacle for me.

23 minutes ago, Cockney Jimmy said:

1) Only if we become a constant premier league team in the future.

2) Absolutely, any club can. Teams like Southampton, Leicester, Bournemouth, Burnley, West Ham etc seem like premier league regulars, or certainly lower to mid table clubs, having been in the championship relatively recently. 

3) Easily. In the modern age simply being in the premier league makes you more famous than a team who won the European cup years ago. Teams like the ones named above are more ‘famous’ than Forest. I’d argue we are the same at least.

4) No point selling up to an owner like that in the championship with the FFP budget. Would probably be a good idea in the premier league. 

29 minutes ago, Cockney Jimmy said:

1) No. Our highest ever is 42,000. We could probably do with a couple of thousand more if we ever become mid-table Premier League, but 7,000 more? Unnecessary.

2) The future is a long time, so yes, probably.

3) No. We'll probably never win the European Cup even once. It's better to be infamous anyway.

4) Having local owners is overrated, and no club in England has any soul left any more so, yes. Also, I do love how a guy with a net worth of probably several hundred million is no longer considered "mega rich".

40,000 seat stadium in the Premier League and almost fill it every other week...absolutely. You could get 4000 away fans every game while some days in this league we are lucky to get 800. Even at gates of 37,500 would anyone notice there being that many empty seats...no. 

Considering Mel's now consistent promise in regards to season ticket holders if we get promoted and them clarifying in the fans forum how in the PL that would only account for 4% of total revenue, I anticipate season ticket costs and even ticket prices coming down so long as we are in the PL as a means to boost the clubs size.

1. Not needed or desirable - Pride park is a good size fpr us as is and if safe standing ever comes in I think i've heard that'd slightly raise the capacity anyway. A few years of lower midtable PL and we'd be at our base 25-28K support anyway.

2. Only if we're very well run for an extended period, more likely we can achieve sustainable 17-12 status

3. No, but I don't think that matters terribly. I support DCFC. Being realistic, the name forest is more well known than leicester who won the league not long ago.

4. I wouldn't encourage him to go at all. For all his faults, he's got the interests of the club at heart. Even if Chinese or other big rollers came in we'd just be a vessel for them until times get tough and then we'll be done over and spat out. Take a look at Swansea, for years fan involved sensibly run club that achieved good things, sold out to yankie investors, now they're a stick on for how not to run a club - they might have gone down sooner if they'd stuck to the sustainable model but probably be in better shape when they did. (before we even get into some of the other examples of big promise owners who've come in and ruined clubs, Blackburn and Cov for example). I'm sure if Mel were made a good offer he'd sell up, rich folk didn't get that way by being sentimental.

PistoldPete2
50 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Probably not. Sure you may get attendances around that mark with PL football, but it will likely be a short stay there and then we'll be back in the 2nd tier playing infront of 25,000 - 30,000 again.

No. When we go up, we'll just be another ticking bomb. If we're lucky, we'll have a good decade of top-flight football. But just like Blackburn, Bolton, Fulham and now likely West Brom and possibly Stoke, it will come to an end.

No. Everybody knows they were once European champions. Nobody outside of Derby knows The Rams once beat Benfica or Real Madrid and reached a European Cup semi-final. Nobody cares either.

Absoloutely. If you want Derby to become the best, play great football and watch world class players put on the shirt, then you need megabucks and only a sellout to the mega rich could see this happen.

I'd personally be satisfied with just doing a Swansea. Playing good football, winning a cup (even if it's the League Cup) and entering Europe. Watching Derby beat someone like Valencia 3-0 in the Mestalla is the pinnacle for me.

Burnley are in top 8-10 clubs and they had much less to work with than we have now. Its possible to be top 10. and look at Fester winning the damn thing!.

I dont think everybody knows that Forest once won a european final or villa either. It's a bygone age like huddersfield being champions years ago.

People with memories going back only 10 years or so would reckon Forest have been below us for most of that time and not a bigger club than us at all.

At the other end of the age scale, I know plenty of people outside Derby who remember our 1970s glory days very well.

I think Mel is mega rich, is he not rich enough for you?

1 hour ago, Cockney Jimmy said:

1. Not necessary until we have built so many houses in mickleover, and south derbyshire that the city grinds to a halt.

2 not without brian clough

3 troll

4 mel has managed to not sack someone for quite a while. He has had a good few months. Getting rid of sam rush; investment in the ground and the training centre; RamsTV; a season where we are doing well. We don't need a folly behind the east stand but we do need to improve the concourses all around the ground. He should carry on, but chill out a bit if possible. Stop trying to set multiple agendas. Carry on Mel now has a more positive ring.

29 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Burnley are in top 8-10 clubs and they had much less to work with than we have now. Its possible to be top 10. and look at Fester winning the damn thing!.

I dont think everybody knows that Forest once won a european final or villa either. It's a bygone age like huddersfield being champions years ago.

People with memories going back only 10 years or so would reckon Forest have been below us for most of that time and not a bigger club than us at all.

At the other end of the age scale, I know plenty of people outside Derby who remember our 1970s glory days very well.

I think Mel is mega rich, is he not rich enough for you?

Mel actually isn't 'that' rich in comparison to other owners in the league. It just seems he he is mega rich because he puts a lot of his money into Derby as he is a genuine fan of the club.

4) dont ever want us to sell to the chinese.

i cant believe people think its a good idea.

Theres loads wrong with modern football at the top level in england that i dont like and dont agree with. Foreign ownership groups is one of them,.

selling out to people to have an expensive play thing when they know nothing about the sport, the culture, well anything. So many clubs have been ruined selling out in this way. Infact when it comes to fan culture they are changing it,and not in a good way.

Im more happy then ever we have Mel who really listens to the fans, was a fan himself and wants to do what he can for the fans.

Recent experiences in Germany proved to me what i probably already knew. Players, managers owners all go, but fans are the club.

I really couldnt give a crap about having a team of international quality players in an international over paid league, where players will dessert ship to another foreign country as soon as they get relegated, because they are only here for the money. Give me a league of lower standard football, mostly players from the country your playing in (especially in the 2nd tier), terraces, better atmosphere, cheaper tickets, games not being dictated by TV ANYDAY OF THE WEEK. The TV rights deal has killed english football in the EPL, it doesnt even matter if they sell their grounds out anymore or not. What  matters is the international rights been sold and followed by the russians and the chinese.

Archived