Bad summer window

deanoakaram4life

Rowett was always going to be up against it after selling Ince, Hughes and Christie.

People were never going to turn around and say we've had a great window after that.

Add to that the limited budget on offer and it feels like to me that the strategy was always one of damage limitation. It doesn't seem to me that this was a window where we had a clear and coherent plan to move forward.

Or perhaps we did - but it had to be ditched.

This would make sense because much of our transfer movement doesn't really align with Rowett's stated aims. The signing of good players but not necessarily the right players.

How the midfield was never addressed, I'll never understand. Before Hughes left, it was a problem area. To think we moved on Bryson and Butterfield on top of that, and right about now, it looks a mess.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, SilentRam said:

Davis and Kieftenbeld are not the type of midfielders we need. There were plenty of those. As I have said on here, our scouting outside the UK is dire. Look at Leeds and how they have signed quality from across Europe. They did not need to spend a lot in buying some very good players whose values will surely be going up. I thought our chairman and GR said we want to buy players whose value rises yet we still went for a player who was at Birmingham. What are our scouts busy doing? 

The type of midfield player we need is made up of the leadership of Van Der Laan , the tackling of Seth Johnson , the poise , vision and creativity of Eranio and the engine of the 2013 Bryson , is there one out there , it will cost , on second thoughts put us down for 2

4 hours ago, G-Ram said:

League table says different? Does it? Started this season better than last  

Well I'm comparing how we are now compared to how we were at the end of last season as the best measure of how we've done in the summer transfer window. The deals haven't improved us compared to how we were at the end of last season. 

24 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Well I'm comparing how we are now compared to how we were at the end of last season as the best measure of how we've done in the summer transfer window. The deals haven't improved us compared to how we were at the end of last season. 

The end of last season where went completely off the boil & sacked a manager ? Still think were better now than we was then 

Maybe we could learn lessons from other clubs in terms of recruitment and tactics.

i'm interested to see how barnsley progress. Not least because they signed two players i suggested for us - mccarthy and lindsay.

Mccarthy played well v us,

but i was also impressed by Potts (signed from blackpool), and Pinnock (non-league?) 

Our recruitment seems to be a bit unimaginative in comparison.

33 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

The results of the poll entitled Initial thoughts on this summers transfer window stated that 3/4's of members were either very happy/happy or ok with the club's transfer dealings, so whats suddenly the problem now?

Maybe after seeing the performances people are changing their minds? I know I voted that I was unhappy with the dealings, could tell even at that stage that our midfield was going to be a massive problem- even if keiftenbeld had gone through. Rowett made an absolute hash of the latter stages of the window, we failed to sign another winger and the two midfielders we needed, and failed to shift the s**** that don't try as well. How much of that is rowetts fault however is up for debate, without knowing the inside out of our finances it's very hard to tell.

Recruitment has been sub par for a long time. Mel and Gary can reiterate the same garbage they do at every fans forum about foreign leagues being too risky to delve into but bottom line is other teams have made use of them like Leeds to great avail. 

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Rowett made an absolute hash of the latter stages of the window, we failed to sign another winger and the two midfielders we needed, and failed to shift the s**** that don't try as well. 

It's debatable what level of culpability Rowett had for the above. We obviously were very cautious in our dealings due to financial constraints and I don't think any other football manager would have been able to shift the deadwood you allude to.

13 hours ago, SilentRam said:

Davis and Kieftenbeld are not the type of midfielders we need. There were plenty of those. As I have said on here, our scouting outside the UK is dire. Look at Leeds and how they have signed quality from across Europe. They did not need to spend a lot in buying some very good players whose values will surely be going up. I thought our chairman and GR said we want to buy players whose value rises yet we still went for a player who was at Birmingham. What are our scouts busy doing? 

Totally agree, we aren't crying out for some aggressive tough tackling CMs at all. We should get another slow lad in looking for a final paycheque to play alongside Huddlestone. Maybe look abroad for some guy that plays in a slower paced league so he'll need some time to adapt. I'm sure the fans will be patient with him as Derby fans are renowned for that patience and understanding.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Where we sacked a proven manager who said some of the squad needed moving on?

Proven at what? Not qualifying with England? failing to take us up? Turn Newcastle into prem giants? What is he proven at?

Mac wasnt the original discussion i just think there has been a complete over reaction to a 4-1 defeat & i think we'll be better off under Rowett 

1 minute ago, G-Ram said:

Proven at what? Not qualifying with England? failing to take us up? Turn Newcastle into prem giants? What is he proven at?

Mac wasnt the original discussion i just think there has been a complete over reaction to a 4-1 defeat & i think we'll be better off under Rowett 

Proven coach and manager. Rowett isn't.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Proven coach and manager. Rowett isn't.

Exactly why we should stick with Rowett. A young up and comming manager thats done well with minimum budget at Birmingham

I actually liked Mac, but if you'd spoke to anyone outseide Derby they'd say He was a proven failure. Might have had the odd glimpse at twente & boro but he was seen as a joke. All this proven manager talk maybe sack rowett after one defeat & bring in Arry another proven failure with the odd flash. 

The original argument was rowett made us worse & his signings are no better which is complete nonsense. They've had hardly any time to gel, its one defeat & everyone needs to get a grip. Also we are no worse of than the start of last season or the back end of last season when we went off thd boil. Hull got spanked by us the other season & went up one bad defeat isnt a reflection of how the whole season will pan out 

I think this summers been okay, but it was nevertheless going to be a summer that instantly improved us. It's a summer that will look great in hindsight next year.

People who thought Huddlestone would take us to the next level were deluded.

Huddlestone would have been a great signing if we were still playing that one DM dependent 4-3-3. All he'd have had to do was sit there and spray it about while the team moved around him like cogs. He's meant to be playing in a pressing 4-2-3-1!

The big fat irony of the whole situation is that we've sacked Steve McClaren twice and got in the perfect players for his system and style the moment he's walked out the door.

15/16 was the only year we had Martin, Thorne and Ince fit for the entire season, playing together. All three of Mac's most important players available to play together just as he got sacked.

This year, we get Martin back, get the best Thorne alternative available in Huddlestone and a winger I'm sure he'd have got the best out of in Lawrence. Just as he got sacked again! That would have been a great summer if he was still in charge.

I know which manager I think we should have shown more patience with but that's beside the point because he's gone. Again.

We have to show patience with Rowett because there's no other option. He really does need time because he's closer to vintage 2011 Nigel Clough than he is to vintage 13/14 McClaren.

A lot of contracts are up in the summer and we've just about positioned ourselves to start building a cohesive squad again for next season. We're close to having a clean slate, something that wasn't looking near impossible last season.

Rowett's a functional manager, he's someone that will still leave us in a good situation if he doesn't live up to the grade and gets sacked.

He's not an all or nothing manager that will leave us in a mess and this summer reflects that. Relatively low risk signings that won't cripple us in seasons to come.

2 hours ago, G-Ram said:

The end of last season where went completely off the boil & sacked a manager ? Still think were better now than we was then 

Maclaren was sacked after we lost 3-0 to Brighton.. Morris said the performance was unacceptable.

Well Brighton are way better than Bristol City yet our preformance against them was even worse than the one that led to Maclarens' sacking. Plus Maclaren never had the benefit of a summer window to make necessary changes.

Im not advocating we should sack Rowett now but he's made some pretty controversial decisions and his signings need to start performing and quickly to justify that.  

1 hour ago, tomsdubs said:

Totally agree, we aren't crying out for some aggressive tough tackling CMs at all. We should get another slow lad in looking for a final paycheque to play alongside Huddlestone. Maybe look abroad for some guy that plays in a slower paced league so he'll need some time to adapt. I'm sure the fans will be patient with him as Derby fans are renowned for that patience and understanding.

Where did I say that? I said those two from Birmingham we were after aren't that great. I said there are better central midfielders out there. And added our scouting was/is dire.

wish some of you posters on this forum bashing Gary Rowett would please enlighten us on which manager they want that will take over and solve all our problems in one transfer window , none of the midfield trio of Bryson , Hughes or Butterfield would of made any difference at Bristol yesterday and neither would Ince for that matter , the club is rebuilding after 4 years of failure , patience and understanding wouldnt go amiss with a few of you

Archived