Rowett's first choice 11?

Highgate

7 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Vydra on the wing is not something I like the look of. Why buy players to help gel a team, then stick square pegs in round holes...? Vydra behind a striker, probably Winnall with Lawrence and Russell on the wings will be the front 4. But you need rotation, which we have in abundance (still)

Tbh it's fine as long as you let him tuck right inside when we are in possesion. It where he basically played for Watford.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, sage said:

Carson

Wisdom       Keogh       Davies       Forsyth

Huddlestone     Keiftenbeld

Lawrence           Martin             Vydra

Winnall  

I would love to see this tried.

it could make better use of Martin's passing skills with Vydra and Lawrence doing all the running.

25 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I would love to see this tried.

it could make better use of Martin's passing skills with Vydra and Lawrence doing all the running.

Anag not sure about that no way will Vydra be tracking back and helping the two midfielders But I like the Martin position even though it means starting with four strikers again 

Do you know what the lunatic in me would like to see us play ? 

Carson

Wisdom  Keogh  Fozzy 

Anya  Thorne  Keith  Lawrence 

Vydra        Winnall

Martin

Chuff it let's try to win 5-4

It'll have Johnny Russell in it, that's for certain. I think once everyone is settled, this is the team he'd probably try and pick for most games.

Carson
             Wisdom Keogh Davies Olsson
                       Huddlestone Keith
                    Russell Vydra Lawrence
                                Winnall

Probably see some rotation with Winnall / Nuge and Russell / Weimann.

It's going to be interesting to see who he plays in that number 10 role when Vydra can't play. I hope Weimann is given a chance there. 

At home I'd start out with something that looked like:

Carson

Wisdom    Keogh    Davies

Huddlestone    Thorne

Lawrence     Martin    Vydra    Russell

Winnall

[Sorry for formatting - can't centre the text on the mobile site]

Away, Kieftenbeld would likely come in for whichever of the front 5 didn't perform in the last game, reverting to a more defensive formation.

12 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Carson

Huddlestone    Thorne

Winnall

Away, Kieftenbeld would likely come in for whichever of the front 5 didn't perform in the last game, reverting to a more defensive formation.

Haha I see your tempted by a similar idea. Personally though would want Martin between winnall and vydra, operating in that space just in front of the opposition centre backs whilst Vydra and Winnall are looking to burst in behind.

Pretty funny that he gets dropped after doing squat, then the manager clearly unhappy with striking options adds Winnall, has talked repeatedly about Vydra playing behind the solo striker, and now we have a fan poll confirming how lowly rated martin actually is in the real world ... and the martin forum gang is back out trying to beat the drum for another chance for Martin in a new position.

Reality is that the dude is washed up, doesn't work hard enough for a Rowett team, and will at best be second off the bench after Nugent, while Winnall knicks his centre forward position from the off.

Give up already. Let's move this team forwards not backwards.

Just now, Ninos said:

Pretty funny that he gets dropped after doing squat, then the manager clearly unhappy with striking options adds Winnall, has talked repeatedly about Vydra playing behind the solo striker, and now we have a fan poll confirming how lowly rated martin actually is in the real world ... and the martin forum gang is back out trying to beat the drum for another chance for Martin in a new position.

Reality is that the dude is washed up, doesn't work hard enough for a Rowett team, and will at best be second off the bench after Nugent, while Winnall knicks his centre forward position from the off.

Oh do you not like Martin then ?

5 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Do you know what the lunatic in me would like to see us play ? 

Carson

Wisdom  Keogh  Fozzy 

Anya  Thorne  Keith  Lawrence 

Vydra        Winnall

Martin

Chuff it let's try to win 5-4

4 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Haha I see your tempted by a similar idea. Personally though would want Martin between winnall and vydra, operating in that space just in front of the opposition centre backs whilst Vydra and Winnall are looking to burst in behind.

I'm especially looking forward to seeeing midfield dynamo "Keith" who has apparently burst onto the scene from nowhere. As long as he's not "Jeremy".

Carson

Keogh Davies Shackell

Wisdom                                     Olsson

Huddlestone Keith

Lawrence 

Martin/Winnall       Vydra

Really think we should be making use of 3 at the back with the centre halves we have at our disposal then I think our top 3 could become somewhat of a holy trinity ?

10 hours ago, Ninos said:

I would say something about you being careful that your opinion on a player doesn't become poisonous, but I fear I may be too late...by about 3 years. 

There was a time when you had an opinion, that you didn't rate Chrissy too highly. Fine, no problem. Actually enjoyed the views you shared. Where's that Ninos gone? If some posters defend our players 'blindly', it's because other posters attack them without abandon

12 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Tbh it's fine as long as you let him tuck right inside when we are in possesion. It where he basically played for Watford.

He played behind the front 2 for Watford, making runs through the middle. Give him license to switch with the 2 wide men and he will occasionally drift wide, but he almost always ends up central. His favoured runs are through the middle too. My fear is that we would lose any width on the side he started, and teams would quickly isolate our fullback. 

It's a dilemma - do you pick our best attacking players or the ones who beat fit the roles GR wants, possibly leaving some on bench

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Carson

Huddlestone    Thorne

Winnall

Good personnel.

Who's covering their wide men?

Even playing four at the back against Wolves, our full backs played too narrow and we were destroyed on the flanks.

If you play three centre backs you need wing backs who can attack and defend, including the ability to cross a ball.

We just don't have that at Derby. The closest attack-wise would be Anya, but defensively he's not up to it.

I think now MK has come we might play 4-2-3-1 but with Johnson behind the centre forward, especially if Winnall gets the nod.

More balls into the box with the first chance since Kuqi of a Derby player getting on the end of one.

Might not be pretty but we're a Volvo now, not the soft-top convertible we were under Mac.

Carson

Wisdom     Keogh     Davies     Olsson

Huddlestone Kieftenbeld

Lawrence          Vydra            Weimann 

Winnall 

Mitchell

Baird

Forsyth

Thorne

Johnson

Martin

Nugent.

Keith adds energy to our central midfield, which is good because it's been way too passive for too long. 

Bryson, for me, used to be that energetic player in the middle of the park but he seemed to let himself go over the years, I.e not as much running, desire..etc 

Thorne, undoubtedly, is still out best CM and probably our best player. I just hope he can show it. I'd still go with him and Huddlestone in that two. 

The front four look to be quite free to rotate and move as they please.

Carson; Wisdom, Keogh, Davies, Forsyth; Huddlestone, Thorne; Lawrence, Vydra, Winnall; Martin

That's the team I'll probably pick on FIFA anyway. 

4 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Good personnel.

Who's covering their wide men?

Even playing four at the back against Wolves, our full backs played too narrow and we were destroyed on the flanks.

If you play three centre backs you need wing backs who can attack and defend, including the ability to cross a ball.

We just don't have that at Derby. The closest attack-wise would be Anya, but defensively he's not up to it.

I think now MK has come we might play 4-2-3-1 but with Johnson behind the centre forward, especially if Winnall gets the nod.

More balls into the box with the first chance since Kuqi of a Derby player getting on the end of one.

Might not be pretty but we're a Volvo now, not the soft-top convertible we were under Mac.

I we end up with Johnson behind the centre forward, Id despair. We'd have way too little creative and technical ability in the middle of the park.

22 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Keith adds energy to our central midfield, which is good because it's been way too passive for too long. 

Bryson, for me, used to be that energetic player in the middle of the park but he seemed to let himself go over the years, I.e not as much running, desire..etc 

Thorne, undoubtedly, is still out best CM and probably our best player. I just hope he can show it. I'd still go with him and Huddlestone in that two. 

The front four look to be quite free to rotate and move as they please.

Carson; Wisdom, Keogh, Davies, Forsyth; Huddlestone, Thorne; Lawrence, Vydra, Winnall; Martin

That's the team I'll probably pick on FIFA anyway. 

Think that's a little harsh on Bryson, too be honest I think it's just having a string of injuries knocked a yard off his pace.

Archived