Mel seems confident.

Raminphilippines

4 hours ago, Coconut said:

That's great, but not quite what he said/implied when he got a little carried away at the Silk Mill forum.

Why what did he say? I knew he had said something and this is exactly what I expected.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, eddie said:

There is, but the ludicrous situation is that this season, it will cost us more to have a season ticket than to pay match by match, because half way through the season, we become eligible for cheaper match tickets, whereas the season ticket doesn't reduce in price for us until next season.

Its a tough one, I doubt its really possible to price them ad-hoc for people so do they say if you turn 65 during the season you pay a lower price? But then someone may not turn 65 until the day before the last game. 

I know its currently set at 1st September, maybe it would make sense for it to be later, but when do you apply the split? 

At what date does it make it cheaper to do what you are doing? Taking into account the loss of the season ticket holder loyalty discount.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Heck, there are some miserable and cynical folk on this thread. 

Just accept it's a nice gesture.

If it doesn't happen, you've not lost anything but if it does, you'll get a season for free. What's not to like?

Also, I don't believe Mel has made the gesture based on his believe that we won't go up. The maths are quite simple, the lost season ticket revenue would be massively outweighed by other income. 

Its an incentive for people to renew ( especially repeat renewers ) before the season ends when there is still a mathematical chance of promotion. It's a business operation to keep support if we don't go up  that costs the club  little in reality. It's no generous gesture.

He said it clear as day in the forum, when we go up, your season ticket renewal will be on the club.

If it's not this season, I'd expect they'll offer the same deal every year until we either go up, or global warming kills us all.

The club are simply formalizing the offer with this announcement. 

2 hours ago, DRBee said:

Its an incentive for people to renew ( especially repeat renewers ) before the season ends when there is still a mathematical chance of promotion. It's a business operation to keep support if we don't go up  that costs the club  little in reality. It's no generous gesture.

So if we go up its not generous?

4 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

He said it clear as day in the forum, when we go up, your season ticket renewal will be on the club.

If it's not this season, I'd expect they'll offer the same deal every year until we either go up, or global warming kills us all.

The club are simply formalizing the offer with this announcement. 

Can imagine Mel reading this now, no no, that was the Peroni talking ?

IMG_0027.GIF

14 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Its a tough one, I doubt its really possible to price them ad-hoc for people so do they say if you turn 65 during the season you pay a lower price? But then someone may not turn 65 until the day before the last game. 

I know its currently set at 1st September, maybe it would make sense for it to be later, but when do you apply the split? 

At what date does it make it cheaper to do what you are doing? Taking into account the loss of the season ticket holder loyalty discount.

If they can work out a pro-rata rate for renewing in September, then it's not rocket science to work out a discounted rate for the age concession kicking in later. It would take me 15 minutes to write a program to do it based upon 'average' match tickets and the differential to take into account based upon the banding of games, the number of matches before and after the threshold date etc.

It's the principle as far as I am concerned. I baulk at paying 'regular' prices when I become a 'senior' - especially when people just 1 year older than me have enjoyed the age concession for the last 9 years (that was when Lionel's 'senior rate at 55' was abolished - but only for 'new' oldies). The fact that I have now lost my 'regular season ticket' concession is tough titty, of course, and I will have to pay top whack next season whatever division we are in, but that's just down to my 'old person' stubbornness.

2 hours ago, eddie said:

If they can work out a pro-rata rate for renewing in September, then it's not rocket science to work out a discounted rate for the age concession kicking in later. It would take me 15 minutes to write a program to do it based upon 'average' match tickets and the differential to take into account based upon the banding of games, the number of matches before and after the threshold date etc.

It's the principle as far as I am concerned. I baulk at paying 'regular' prices when I become a 'senior' - especially when people just 1 year older than me have enjoyed the age concession for the last 9 years (that was when Lionel's 'senior rate at 55' was abolished - but only for 'new' oldies). The fact that I have now lost my 'regular season ticket' concession is tough titty, of course, and I will have to pay top whack next season whatever division we are in, but that's just down to my 'old person' stubbornness.

I'm in the 'should' someone who's over 65 get it cheaper anyway? In a lot of cases by that age people are secure financially compared with someone who is say 30 trying to find the money for a mortgage in an inflated housing market while trying to feed two kids.

We all take up the same amount of room on the seat.

Of course I don't expect that to be a popular opinion.

27 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Wow.

I'll add you to the list of people that won't be accepting it shall I?

9 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I'm in the 'should' someone who's over 65 get it cheaper anyway? In a lot of cases by that age people are secure financially compared with someone who is say 30 trying to find the money for a mortgage in an inflated housing market while trying to feed two kids.

We all take up the same amount of room on the seat.

Of course I don't expect that to be a popular opinion.

<Daily Mail reader mode>

Would you also, for example, do away with concessions for disabled people, especially those in wheelchairs? After all, their 'helper' gets in free, AND they all get thousands of pounds in state handouts, free cars every year and the like and contribute nothing.

</Daily Mail reader mode>

39 minutes ago, eddie said:

It is a tough one for the club. But if they were to start doing this somewhere along the line they will have justifacation to do it for the other age groups, but in the clubs favour.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

The next four home games should cost you £99 pp minimum, leaving aside Ipswich which has been postponed.

Assuming the date you both turn over 65 is beyond the 1st of Jan, the saving over a pro rata season ticket is between £28, if games work out at the average so far, and £103 in the unlikely event we charge the minimum so far of £15 for every single home game after the next 4 home games, based on a pro rata ST at £383, all figures p.p.

This is based on the cheapest seats, and a discount concessionary per game price of £7.50, which seems to be the average, applied from the 2nd home game of the new year until the end of the season, assuming you both reach concessionary age beyond the 1st of Jan 2018, but before the next home game 2 weeks later.

You could put the potential savings on Derby to be promoted, which would return £154 at the lower figure, and £566 at the higher, against the clubs figure of £269 back on next year's season ticket, based on a over 65 renewal.

6 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

Some call it cynical, some call it realistic. Mel is a businessman, he isn't Mother Theresa. 

No he did say that if we get promoted it would be a drop in the ocean. A bit like me giving away £10 to an animal charity, I didn't have to do it but it might make their lives a little better. I'm not Mother Teresa either, I'm just a kind person. But if you can't see the good in anyone then I stick by my original comment, you're a sad act. 

5 hours ago, Coconut said:

See Revel's post. The way it was phrased implied was that it was an offer not exclusive to a single season but a case that the offer would stand until such a time we got promoted.

Where does it say the offer won't be repeated if we don't go up?

6 hours ago, eddie said:

<Daily Mail reader mode>

Would you also, for example, do away with concessions for disabled people, especially those in wheelchairs? After all, their 'helper' gets in free, AND they all get thousands of pounds in state handouts, free cars every year and the like and contribute nothing.

</Daily Mail reader mode>

Nope.

My point is that on what basis is a discount offered for people over 65? If the ability to afford it is the reason my point about young people living in debt trying to afford a mortgage etc is valid.

Archived