Sign in to follow this  
Jourdan

Man City discussion

Latest Updates

18 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

De Bruyne has reached a whole new level under Pep

whilst Pep is doing well now, he was at this time last season too.

As for the comment quoted, not quite sure I agree. I don't even think De Bruyne has reached the level he reached in his first season at City, let alone new levels, Unless you mean specifically "under Pep". Which I suppose is accurate.

10 hours ago, HantsRam said:

So is he any good at finding the kids with world class potential? 

Or is that bit just a numbers game - you sign hundreds and hope 1 or 2 float to the surface?

Isn't it the job of the scouts and head of recruitment to sign under 16 players rather than that of the manager?

Pep certainly gives youth a chance. At Barca numerous young players got game-time who are now no longer there such as Cuenca, Tello, Bartra, Bojan, Jeffren, Montoya, Dos Santos plus Thiago and Pedro.

He hasn't been at a club long enough for an academy player to join and stick around long enough to become a world class player under him.

Hopefully he will be at City a long time 

5 hours ago, Moist One said:

whilst Pep is doing well now, he was at this time last season too.

As for the comment quoted, not quite sure I agree. I don't even think De Bruyne has reached the level he reached in his first season at City, let alone new levels, Unless you mean specifically "under Pep". Which I suppose is accurate.

His game has changed a lot.

In his first season he played behind Aguero in an attacking role, shielded by Fernandinho, Toure or Fernando in holding roles.

Now he plays a lot deeper, he dictates the game a lot more and has become more of a creator rather than a goal scoring midfielder.

He doesn't score as many goals as before, largely due to his position change, but I don't think that matters when you have Aguero, Jesus, Sane, Sterling and Silva in more advanced positions.

18 assists last season was nuts. So far he has 3 in 5 games this season. While also putting in more tackles, passes and chances created per game.

5 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Interesting article about City's joint ownership with La Liga side Girona. 

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41348471

I've brought this up a few times aswell. In my opinion, the big clubs in England are reluctant to loan their better academy players out largely due to contrasting styles of play and the diversity in the English game.

Why would City, for instance, loan a player to Derby? We play completely different styles of football. How would game-time here under Gary Rowett prepare a player for City and Pep Guardiola's playing style and training methods?

It means English players will never get the right training or never acquire such technical ability, unless they come through City's ranks but are sent abroad for three years to play at a club like Girona with are adopting a similar ethos.

I think it's another smart move by City, who are clearly planning for the long-term.

Chelsea have farmed in numerous youngsters over the years, but for some reason perhaps their constant change in managers has blocked a path for these players to go on to become first-team regulars.

I mean, Chelsea have had De Bruyne and Lukaku on their books. Two players who'd fetch a combined £150m these days. Madness that they were never really given a chance at Stamford Bridge.

14 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I mean, Chelsea have had De Bruyne and Lukaku on their books. Two players who'd fetch a combined £150m these days. Madness that they were never really given a chance at Stamford Bridge.

I reckon - considering he's still only 26 - De Bruyne would cost a Neymar-level figure if Manchester City decided to sell, which they won't. He's an incredible player.

On 30/09/2017 at 20:33, Bris Vegas said:

Big statement today from City.

Missing Aguero and Mendy, playing their fourth match 10 days away at the champions.

A fully deserved win and by sticking to their principles. 

Thrashed Chelsea 1-0. Played them off the park.