Live games 2017/18

CumbrianRam

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

There shouldn’t be polarisation though. The rules should be clear. 

The laws are clear. The referee's opinion is paramount in matters of (eg) foul play, what constitutes unsporting behaviour and so on.

The rules aren't clear to those who haven't read them. See Lineker, Shearer, Savage et al.

9 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The laws are clear. The referee's opinion is paramount in matters of (eg) foul play, what constitutes unsporting behaviour and so on.

The rules aren't clear to those who haven't read them. See Lineker, Shearer, Savage et al.

in context this was about whether VAR would be effective, I don't believe it is

17 minutes ago, Spanish said:

in context this was about whether VAR would be effective, I don't believe it is

The laws of the game rarely deal with black-and-white decisions. Even in the case of offsides, officials are asked to decide on the extent to which an 'offender' is or isn't interfering with play.

Those who expect VAR to solve 'problems' such as 'wrong' decisions, inconsistent refereeing and so on, I believe fundamentally misunderstand (perhaps wilfully in the case of some media oraganisations) the basic role of a referee in football. Where subjectivity is concerned, and that is in the majority of situations, the referee is the ONLY arbiter of what is right and what is not.

As I have stated elsewhere, I don't think VAR is for the game or the fans. It's for the media. It that sense, it's already shown to be extremely effective.

4 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The laws of the game rarely deal with black-and-white decisions. Even in the case of offsides, officials are asked to decide on the extent to which an 'offender' is or isn't interfering with play.

Those who expect VAR to solve 'problems' such as 'wrong' decisions, inconsistent refereeing and so on, I believe fundamentally misunderstand (perhaps wilfully in the case of some media oraganisations) the basic role of a referee in football. Where subjectivity is concerned, and that is in the majority of situations, the referee is the ONLY arbiter of what is right and what is not.

As I have stated elsewhere, I don't think VAR is for the game or the fans. It's for the media. It that sense, it's already shown to be extremely effective.

But one of the main arguments the pundits have against var is that it should result in clearer cut decisions and therefore result in less talking points. And pundits make their money off talking points. 

Mat the minute it’s a bit of a fad and it’s not perfect. In a year or so it will be better, it’ll all be a lot less interesting, and the pundits will end up with less contentious decisions to talk about. 

27 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

But one of the main arguments the pundits have against var is that it should result in clearer cut decisions and therefore result in less talking points. And pundits make their money off talking points. 

Mat the minute it’s a bit of a fad and it’s not perfect. In a year or so it will be better, it’ll all be a lot less interesting, and the pundits will end up with less contentious decisions to talk about. 

I wouldn’t bet on that. 

A game between one english side with 0 english players, and a foreign side.. generates all the interest... and a near on full championship program does not gets no mention.

i thought id tuned into talk sport for a moment.

In other news... take Adomah and Grealish out of the Villa side, and they become very ordinary.

Currently losing at home to Preston. 2 defeats on the bounce. yes please!

Archived