Chris Martin

Richard246

3 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Horses for courses this season. My issue with Martin is not so much Martin but the reverence some on here have for him. The massiah has returned, all will be okay now, lets just pretend it's 2013 again and we will be flying. 

Martin is what he is, pretty much a one trick pony in a certain system, Yes when it was good, it was very good on occasions but it all had to revolve around Martin, Maybe that pony has a part to play in certain games this season, why not. Like others have said, he is a good option to have as long as Rowett is not stuck in a Martin must play bubble. It appears he is not, so that is a positive for me.

The Wardrobe thread is probably one of the saddest I have ever read on this forum.. Back to the future stuff and then some. Real head shake stuff. 

I don't know if we will sell him, I am not ITK... Should we 'cash' in? Maybe but to be replaced with what,  now he is hopefully a squad player and not a must play. For me I would keep him around this season and see what happens. Will Martin be happy not starting regardless of form? That's for him and Rowett to decide.

OK find a post where somebody says " Martin's back it will all be OK "  , cos you making it up or interpreting things through your own set of specs.

People have been saying complimentary about Martin ( endlessly.... )  as a response to the negative comments from haters.

Martin is slow and can be predictable, but he is far from a one trick pony , He can hold the ball up , he can link up play, he can score as his record shows, he has an excellent free kick in him when given the chance and he does good work defensively when we defend corners. That our many recent managers have not played to his strengths is not his fault. It may be that it's only when we have a manager with a more attacking set up and style of play that Martin will thrive. It may be that his time is over but at least speak the truth about what he can do.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

Agreed. Put the ball at his feet and get players close to him and we will score. I'm really hoping we get to see what he can do playing with Vydra soon. 

When was the last time that actually happened?

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

Are playing to a player's strength that could well be to the overall benefit and providing service to a striker such novel ideas?

We dont have the midfielders of yesterday to run and link up, FFs we now have the most laboured midfielders for a long time in our squad.

Just now, toddy said:

We dont have the midfielders of yesterday to run and link up, FFs we now have the most laboured midfielders for a long time in our squad.

Perhaps not (although we still have Bryson) but we do have Vydra and Nugent. Either of which would be perfect playing off Martin.

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Last year at Fulham. At Derby, we did under Wassell and we were pretty free scoring during that time.

Come on Fulham last year, their midfielders out scored him, the fans didnt want him and Fulham didnt even want him at £6 million.

Under Wassall, when did him last score a leaue goal for us........

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

Perhaps not (although we still have Bryson) but we do have Vydra and Nugent. Either of which would be perfect playing off Martin.

Bryson is 30+ his pace is gone, the days of Hughes,Hendrick, a 27yr old Bryson not to mention Mascarell are all gone....

Martin should be a squad player and used as and when and we should not to be rebuilding a midfield to support him.

Martin can only play one way as many have said on here...ball to feet and support from midfield with runners. If we dont play that way what does GR do?

if mac was still here he would be the saviour ,but differnt managers have there own ways .i recon martin will still be a great scorer as in previous seasons but now attackers are coming in its make or break for him also. would he still be here if mac hadnt insisted of trying to get him back last year and sighn a extended contract ? .he has got to change the way he plays or it will be out imo ,stop diving every two mins and just get stuck in. i recon 15 /20 goals in him still though what will keep is value up, but will that be with us as hes to good for bench warming.

1 minute ago, Richard246 said:

No longer first choice sell him before it's to late.

I will be proved right.

We need a younger man who is hungry not a static man passed his best.

Statistically, Martin isn't past his best for goals per minute, however don't let that get in the way of your flawless point. 

You'll be proved right how? He isn't past his best, and he's not even old. 

I wish people who didn't like Martin (It's a valid view point) could use genuine justifications such as he doesn't fit our style of play currently, not this load of s****. 

No good to us on the Bench so sell him

Once martin becomes a bench player he will be a disruption and i don't like the way he moans if he has to run more than 3 yards.

Sell,Sell Sell more hungry type player required for me and Simply Derby could win this league.

15 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

Once martin becomes a bench player he will be a disruption and i don't like the way he moans if he has to run more than 3 yards.

Sell,Sell Sell more hungry type player required for me and Simply Derby could win this league.

Again, pure slander with nothing to back this up. You can't just lie to fit your narrative. Martin might be a good character in the changing room. None of us know, since we're not employees of Derby County, unless you're secretly Richard Keogh. We get it, you don't like Martin, however at least do him the courtesy of making valid points against him.

In his pre-Bolton interview (I think it was) Rowett said pretty much that it will be horses for courses between Nugent and Martin. Nugent was chosen against PNE as he anticipated them pressing high and thus leaving gaps that Martin couldn't exploit but Nugent could. If he anticipates a side sitting back predominantly then he plays Martin who can receive to feet under pressure & lay off to any three of our four fast & exciting attacking options, namely Lawrence/Vydra/Weimann/Russell, much better than Nugent. Jobs a good'en!

20 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

Know him personally do you pal?

42 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

No longer first choice sell him before it's to late.

I will be proved right.

We need a younger man who is hungry not a static man passed his best.

Hahahaha hahahaha whatever. 

31 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

Another drivel. 

To reiterate what a lot of people have said in here, he almost certainly has a huge role to play with us this season, just like Vydra and Nugent do. You don't get promoted from the Championship just by having a good eleven (unless you're insanely lucky like Bournemouth and get 0 injuries all season), you get promoted by having a good squad that you can rotate and have almost no decline in quality by switching things around. Nugent is 32 and the league we play in is extremely taxing due to the number of midweek games, he won't be able to play every game even if we wanted him to.

I love Martin and personally think he's the best striker at the club, but the fact that we have so much competition to push him for his place makes me happy as it means that in terms of strikers, we're amongst the top of the championship in terms of quality. If we can honestly sort our service out, I can honestly see is being quite a lethal outfit. Hopefully the arrival of Lawrence and Weimann's recent form will help give Russell a kick up the arse to regain his 13/14 form, then we're in the same position out wide as we are for strikers. 

On a side note - I don't understand why everyone turns every decent performance into "Well x player had a good game, this surely must mean the end of y player". Players hit runs of form and players lose runs of form. If ever there was a fanbase that should understand this it should be us after having to endure Nick Blackman after having one decent run of form in his career for another club.

Archived