What next.....are we lacking a european scout?

RamNut

Summary.....

jota - nothing to suggest any interest in coming to us

lawrence - we will either have to pay a silly fee (possible) or move on

robinson - nothing appears to be happening despite an initial enquiry

Maddison - see above

Toral - very quiet. 

Wildschut - we could be daft enough to go for a player who has shown very little

kent - again no evidence that there is anything likely to happen

ojo - see above

brannagan - who? See above

lookman - ditto

che adams - will his name resurface?

so...What next?

are we lacking a european scout?

Its noticeable that we seem focussed on domestic players, whilst shopping in germany suddenly seems popular for others,

and whatever happened to the import of scandanavian and dutch players? 

Are we a bit missionary position in terms of scouting?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Rowett doesn't have someone that he trusts and respects their opinion on with European knowledge and is available, little point us going there. 

Venturing over into foreign waters is a little more trickier.

We may already have one out there, hasn't come up with owt. 

Cheap imports are not bargains if they are crap

The only interesting thing is that Rowett made a point in the fan sessions towards the end of last season saying you find a better bargain in the foreign leagues. The fact Brighton have just signed a Dutch International for a feee considerably cheaper than what we are looking to pay for Lawrence is again evidence of this. (I'm not saying we'd sign the Dutch guy before anyone says anything!)

Just another slightly bizarre comment from Rowett when there is zero evidence of him following through with it.

Just now, Srg said:

Isn't our European scout Mo Camara?

Not sure he's still around.

And his record is poor with sunderland and derby.

Of course it could be that there is a lot going on behind the scenes with regards to potential signings but the club have decided not to do all of their transfer dealings in public?

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Are you suggesting abdoul camara was crap?

Not suggesting it, I'm stating it, he was dog turd. Only positive thing about him was his tweets.

Another player that got better the longer he didn't play, didn't take long to realise why he wasn't playing. 

Shouldn't put us off shopping abroad still, had plenty of duffers from over here. Just put a little more groundwork in first.

8 minutes ago, rammieib said:

The only interesting thing is that Rowett made a point in the fan sessions towards the end of last season saying you find a better bargain in the foreign leagues. The fact Brighton have just signed a Dutch International for a feee considerably cheaper than what we are looking to pay for Lawrence is again evidence of this. (I'm not saying we'd sign the Dutch guy before anyone says anything!)

Just another slightly bizarre comment from Rowett when there is zero evidence of him following through with it.

Are we looking to pay more than £10m for Lawrence?

I thought we did not want to go higher than  £7m?

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Of course it could be that there is a lot going on behind the scenes with regards to potential signings but the club have decided not to do all of their transfer dealings in public?

I thought we'd stopped the leaks, but there's still plenty of drips...but no foreign ones even so.

I thought when we let Hughes and Ince go we were going to bring in replacements as good as those two players.

I would have thought we would have sorted out the replacements before we let the best two players go.

There is still time left, but I am not sure we will have a better team come September 1st than we had last season.

1 minute ago, toddy said:

I thought when we let Hughes and Ince go we were going to bring in replacements as good as those two players.

I would have thought we would have sorted out the replacements before we let the best two players go.

There is still time left, but I am not sure we will have a better team come September 1st than we had last season.

We might not have a better squad, but will we have a better team? Maybe yes.

Foreign players may be cheaper but are much more of a risk, they may as good as someone like Lawrence but they just may not settle into a new country so well.

Our last 2 foreign signings havent exactly done well for us, Albentosa though clearly is a decent CB but didnt settle well and it just didnt work out for him.

Would fans be happier to spend 4 or 5m on an unknown foreign player or 7m for someone who has proven he can play at this level

Archived