Grimsby Town v Derby County - Match day thread

Kernow

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kyle mccabe said:

But on that thread it didn't mention try them against Grimsby....just in case you missed that 

Errr. But you could have :unsure: Tell you what, let's open a new Vydra and Nugent thread for every different team we play instead. 

31 minutes ago, kyle mccabe said:

Martin may have scored goals continuously but the days of 1 up front and the old faithful of Russell Bryson has long gone we need to move on. All teams that get promoted have a striker full of pace and a menace.... Martin is certainly not that

'All teams that get promoted' do not have a striker with pace. How fast you run doesn't dictate your skill as a footballer or a striker. It's nonsense. Tell me, when Boro got promoted where was their pace? Or how about Watford, I don't think Deeney or Ighalo were particularly fast. Or how about Norwich, with the big centre forward of Cameron Jerome who was Martin esque. See my point, you're just making up things to fit a narrative, Russell isn't gone, Bryson isn't gone. You need to move on from your poorly constructed points.

Ha are you kidding me deeney and ighalo don't offer pace.....really!!!look at huddersfield last season full of pace naki wells etc.Mate bryson has done nothing since scoring his hatrick against red dogs. My point is valid in the 4 seasons we have played one up top where has it got us.

4 minutes ago, kyle mccabe said:

Ha are you kidding me deeney and ighalo don't offer pace.....really!!!look at huddersfield last season full of pace naki wells etc.Mate bryson has done nothing since scoring his hatrick against red dogs. My point is valid in the 4 seasons we have played one up top where has it got us.

And when we played 442 under Nigel Clough where did that get us? There is no magic formula for promotion, it isn't a 'x did this, so therefore it is the only way to get promoted'. You play the style that gets your team results. 1 season we got to Wembley, 2 we made playoffs, that's where it got us. What about the 4 seasons before that? Where did we get? Best placed finish 10th. If you think Deeney is fast you're deluded, and Ighalo wasn't playing about his pace. Nakhi Wells regularly didn't start, and was out injured for part of the season.

If you really believe your comment about Bryson then I question if you've even watched us play at all in the last 4 years. 

Your point is incredibly invalid.

Derby County manager Gary Rowett says he will make changes to his side for tomorrow night's Carabao Cup first round tie at Grimsby Town.

The Rams boss plans to rest a number of players who were involved in Friday night's Championship opener against Sunderland.

Tom Huddlestone, Bradley Johnson, Johnny Russell and Craig Bryson are all carrying knocks and look likely to sit out the Grimsby game.

"We will have some changes that will be enforced," said Rowett.

"For example, Tom had about five bags of ice on his body after the game, so he might be one.

"I expect him to train today (Monday) but we've got a Saturday-Tuesday coming up after this game, so you've got to start to think about that a little bit.

"Jonno is another one - he has had a few niggles with his ankle recently. It has been sore for a few games and so we will have to make a decision on that.

"Jonny got a bit of a dead leg towards the end of the Sunderland game. We will see how he is.

"Bryse has had a little bit of a problem in his hamstring. The plan was that we injected it after the Sunderland game and used the week for it to settle down.

"He will possibly not be fit for Tuesday but with a view to him being full fit for the next four or five games, which we felt was more important."

I know this is the wrong thread, but I'm seriously desperate.

Does anyone have a ST number that they'll let me use for the Sheff United game? 

I need 4 tickets but only have 2 ST's. Just spoke to the ticket office about how well they're selling and it's looking likely they won't meet General sale. 

Also the allocation of near 3,000 that we've been given is the full allocation and we won't be getting anymore from Sheffield. 

Someone please help me :( PM me if you have a ST and aren't going to the game! 

Mitchell, Olsson, Davies, Keogh, Wisdom, Elsnick, Butterfield, Weimann, Vydra, Bennett, Nugent at a guess. 

Mitchell to give him game time, nothing more.

Forsyth still coming back from injury, might be asking a bit to much.

Elsnick as I think we've seen enough of Hanson now to show how little he offers, one I expect to leave before the window closes, maybe on loan.

Weimann keep him in the team, Grimsby would be a decent opportunity to find his way into the score sheet and give him some confidence. 

Vydra, no idea how fit he is and if he's ready to play a full game but with Nugent can drop back later and bring Martin on if need be.

Bennett, limited opportunities this season given Rowett is still looking for more attacking options. This could be a huge game for him. 

Nugent, like Mitchell just to give him a game and foot in the team, clear Martin is number one choice so it would be rude not to at least give him the cup games to start.

Mitchell

Baird   Keogh   Pearce   Olsson

Hanson  Butterfield

Bennett    Vydra      Anya

Nugent

Carson, Wisdom, Davies, Elsnik, U23, Weimann, Martin.

Fozzy to be rested, Huddlestone, Johnson Bryson, Russell all out injured.Two under 23s to make the bench unless Russell shakes off his dead leg. I would rather see Elsnik play as I think we have seen enough of Hanson now but seeing as Hanson got more game time during Pre-Season I thing Gary will go with Hanson.

7 hours ago, kyle mccabe said:

Tell me something that Bryson has done in the past 3 seasons. Stop hanging on to that one season where him,Russel and Martin combined well. Since then nothing.....and if deeney has no pace then we are doomed with martin. 

Won the player of the year again :D:ermm:

It's no coincidence that football fans have become more and more obsessed with pace at the same time that every Fifa game in the last 3 years has become more and more about getting the fastest players and skipping challenges. 

8 minutes ago, Tombo said:

It's no coincidence that football fans have become more and more obsessed with pace at the same time that every Fifa game in the last 3 years has become more and more about getting the fastest players and skipping challenges. 

Very true, I think some would prefer Theo Robinson to Chris Martin for that reason alone... it's insanity. Players like Walcott never reached their potential because in his example he's a pace one trick pony, the best players can be quick but then that's not all they offer i.e Ronaldo, and in other cases, particularly in centre forward you do not have to be quick, people like Kane and Lewandowski, some of the top strikers on the planet, not at all quick.

1 hour ago, Dannyboz1884 said:

Mitchell

Baird   Keogh   Pearce   Olsson

Hanson  Butterfield

Bennett    Vydra      Anya

Nugent

Carson, Wisdom, Davies, Elsnik, U23, Weimann, Martin.

Fozzy to be rested, Huddlestone, Johnson Bryson, Russell all out injured.Two under 23s to make the bench unless Russell shakes off his dead leg. I would rather see Elsnik play as I think we have seen enough of Hanson now but seeing as Hanson got more game time during Pre-Season I thing Gary will go with Hanson.

Thats the team id expect although I think Blackman will be on the bench

Archived