I'm in a place, can someone find me a good pub please?

TuffLuff

Ok if I'm 100% honest I'm in St Ives, Cornwall until Saturday and I need a pub here with sky sports for Friday night. So far it's not looking hopeful and I'll be stuck to an iPad screen instead but...

...thought it might be a nice thing to start a thread for recommendations as there's enough people here that we can help if we are stuck somewhere with no idea where to go?

So if anyone can help then I'm very open to suggestions right now!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Ok if I'm 100% honest I'm in St Ives, Cornwall until Saturday and I need a pub here with sky sports for Friday night. So far it's not looking hopeful and I'll be stuck to an iPad screen instead but...

...thought it might be a nice thing to start a thread for recommendations as there's enough people here that we can help if we are stuck somewhere with no idea where to go?

Off topic, is it raining? My experience of St Ives is it always rains.

3 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

The Balcony Bar and the 3 Ferretts have just come up on Trip Advisor. Tried to post the link but I'm thick as.

Balcony might not be a bad shout actually, its on the harbour front but it's not overly obvious so never been there but it might be worth an ask tomorrow. Didn't know it showed the football

Been to 3 Ferretts before and it's definently 'a local place for local people' place in my experience so not sure how they'll take to me yelling at a screen for 90 minutes.

Thankyou for looking though, that's very much appreciated and given me an option!

14 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Off topic, is it raining? My experience of St Ives is it always rains.

It has today! It's been on and off showers since last Saturday but mostly been ok. In fairness this is my fourth year here and it has probably been the worse so far for weather and temperature. Other years has seen near on consistent sunshine and days on Porthminster beach (it's got a bar on it compared to Porthmear). This year I'm starting to struggle what to do here somewhat.

19 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

It has today! It's been on and off showers since last Saturday but mostly been ok. In fairness this is my fourth year here and it has probably been the worse so far for weather and temperature. Other years has seen near on consistent sunshine and days on Porthminster beach (it's got a bar on it compared to Porthmear). This year I'm starting to struggle what to do here somewhat.

Had 2 great holidays there then 2 bad holidays weather wise, makes me wary of going back really.

4 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Had 2 great holidays there then 2 bad holidays weather wise, makes me wary of going back really.

I think I'll be the same after this year in that I've had my fill of it. Really enjoyed it previously but the weather not being great and the increasingly poor infrastructure for amount of people coming there (probs best to leave it for another day) is making it hard to get the same enjoyment 

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

Also the Pedn Olva Hotel and the Harbour Pool Club

Balcony or Lifeboat Inn will be your two best bets.

Balcony is more of a bar than a pub. Does those burgers in brioche buns and chips in baskets. That's right on the front, next to the arcade up a flight of stairs.

The Lifeboat Inn is more of your traditional sort of pub, also right on the front. That's closer towards the slip down to the sea and the Lifeboat house. You'll find it in next door to a seafood restaurant called Onshore.

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

Try scotland.

Always hot and sunny :ph34r:

8 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

https://pubfinder.sky.com/results/?origin=50.20838579999999%2C-5.490886400000022&is-geo=0

@sage I was sat out on a soggy terrace at Pedn last night and I'm 90% sure it won't do sky sports as they are catering towards food (it's all catered seating inside pretty much). Harbour Pool may be a good shout though, I'll have a scout there tomorrow.

@Kernow similar with Lifeboat as I'm pretty sure it's catering towards pub food for families. I'll pop my head as I think they still have sky sports news on but I'm pretty sure it's now a 'wait here to be seated place' type place.

@McRamFan that pubfinder is useful but again I'm certain most of them don't actually show matches. 

Thanks for trying to help everyone , it's really helped and is much appreciated 

Just as a quick update;

Ended up in the Lifeboat, so I was very wrong about my presumptions on it. It was near full of Derby fans and had a very good night there. Big cheer when we scored too!

Thankyou everyone for your help the past few days. Hopefully when someone else is somewhere and need pub recommendation this thread will keep going!

• 2 months later...

Archived