Same mistake?

archied

Firstly I'm a rowett fan and really want him to do well but here my concern ,

will gary make the exact same mistake as Pearson ,,,, sell our top scorer and not properly replace him? 

Yes the window is still open and there's time but I am concerned we could see history repeat itself two seasons in a row ,, 

whats the feeling on this

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No concerns here, the circumstances are very different.

Unlike in the case of Ince, where we have had a fair return, Martin went out on loan so we were essentially in a no-win situation.  The cash raised from the Ince sale at least gives us the resources to replace him.

Have faith - based on the three signings so far, Rowett knows exactly what he is doing in the market.

PistoldPete2

Well we have martin back, and nugent too. So goal scoring shouldn't be a problem, it's the lack of creative players that I worry about. No doubt about it , hughes and ince are huge losses and we are boxing ourselves in by selling them early in the transfer window... Surprise surprise we now find possible replacements to be inferior or more expensive or both. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

You think we could have held on to them for longer?

We obviously wanted the quick money for both of them. I still can't fathom the reason why as it's left us in a very poor negotiating position for buying replacements.

This time last year we had some batshit crazy ostrich botherer gifting strikers to our rivals upsetting players and fans and no one had a clue what was going on.

In stark contrast, this year is calm. Sensible players signed for sensible prices. The fans and manager all seem to be on the same page. We all seem to know what we need and where we're going. 

This is sensible management which is exactly what we need - I reckon all this sensibility will pay off.

4 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

We obviously wanted the quick money for both of them. I still can't fathom the reason why as it's left us in a very poor negotiating position for buying replacements.

Pearson couldn't move last year before selling Hendrick,and I've no doubt Gary wouldn't have been able to move this year on the excellent hat trick he's already completed (with more to come,hopefully) without early sales. Supporters need to get real and have some patience.

7 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

This time last year we had some batshit crazy ostrich botherer gifting strikers to our rivals upsetting players and fans and no one had a clue what was going on.

In stark contrast, this year is calm. Sensible players signed for sensible prices. The fans and manager all seem to be on the same page. We all seem to know what we need and where we're going. 

This is sensible management which is exactly what we need - I reckon all this sensibility will pay off.

At last, a sensible comment regarding our transfer dealings this window 

7 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Don't get me wrong ,I think rowett is trying to do things the right way my concern is we seem to be struggling in terms of replacing the creative side of things we've lost with ince and Hughes ,, think fans are far less forgiving than if you struggle at the back but are good to watch and score plenty ,,, will he get the time he needs if we go into the season lacking any real flair going forward 

28 minutes ago, archied said:

Firstly I'm a rowett fan and really want him to do well but here my concern ,

will gary make the exact same mistake as Pearson ,,,, sell our top scorer and not properly replace him? 

Yes the window is still open and there's time but I am concerned we could see history repeat itself two seasons in a row ,, 

whats the feeling on this

Whilst we will miss Ince massively and it's a mammoth task to replace him, I feel there is one crucial difference to the loss of Martin last season. Martin was pivotal to the system we played and we simply struggled to adapt without him. Ince did however step up to the plate and cushion that blow but his role was less pivotal. Hopefully GR will find an adequate replacement and if not a system that masks the loss of Ince. We quite simply have to adapt to his loss if we have any aspirations of a successful season. 

We definitely need to keep calm regarding transfers. Three great signings in Wisdom Davies and Huddlestone. Still have decent wide players in Russell (capable of double figures at his best) and Weimann, Martin is back and played in the right system Vydra could be a major factor, and Nugent. That will more than replace Ince's goals.

Yes Lawrence would improve us and possibly another wide player, but as it stands we have a side in my view good enough for top 6, with 5 weeks of this transfer window and January still to go.

We're in a good place.

7 minutes ago, archied said:

Don't get me wrong ,I think rowett is trying to do things the right way my concern is we seem to be struggling in terms of replacing the creative side of things we've lost with ince and Hughes ,, think fans are far less forgiving than if you struggle at the back but are good to watch and score plenty ,,, will he get the time he needs if we go into the season lacking any real flair going forward 

Last season we weren't good to watch and we didn't score plenty, even with Hughes & Ince.

27 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Take out the first paragraph as its total nonsense and I agree. 

Martin was here until late August, he hadn't upset anyone at this point, and we all knew 4411 wasn't gonna work. ?

We only sold our top goal scorer for last season.......Martin was our top scorer for three seasons prior to that and generally added 7 to 8 goals on per season...so roughly what bent and ince scored in total last season combined.

Both were both brought in to cover when Martin was injured don't forget...we were never short of goals prior to their arrival...in fact their styles never truely fitted in and actually disrupted our system.

So I'm not concerned about ince leaving to be honest,we already have enough potential firepower in my opinion.....another winger would be great,bloody great,don't get me wrong but having a settled,consistent team who are confident and playing to the best of their abilities is the key this season....

And anyway,I believe that weimann really could step up to the plate,on the wing,this season....he's no Tom ince but he's a team player and more than good enough for this division.

We have already seen evidence of a potential partnership with Martin with them linking up together and I wonder if instead of replacing ince directly,he instead becomes more of a Jamie ward terrier type of player who links up well but can deliver a decent cross too.

5 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Last season we weren't good to watch and we didn't score plenty, even with Hughes & Ince.

Yep your right and we sacked two managers for it and the noise coming from fans was that the first one sacked had been stupid enough to get rid of our top scorer ,, even those ( majority by all accounts ) who wanted Pearson as manager before he came 

7 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Take out the first paragraph as its total nonsense

My apologies. This time last year we had a perfectly sound ostrich botherer who didn't gift our best striker to any of our rivals and certainly didn't upset any of the players or fans at all. And of course, the fans forums were all unanimously agreed that we all knew exactly what was going on and why.

Great days.

4 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

My apologies. This time last year we had a perfectly sound ostrich botherer who didn't gift our best striker to any of our rivals and certainly didn't upset any of the players or fans at all. And of course, the fans forums were all unanimously agreed that we all knew exactly what was going on and why.

Great days.

I thought your first draft paragraph made complete sense to be honest....the loon destroyed our season.

5 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Great days.

Much better ??

19 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We only sold our top goal scorer for last season.......Martin was our top scorer for three seasons prior to that and generally added 7 to 8 goals on per season...so roughly what bent and ince scored in total last season combined.

Both were both brought in to cover when Martin was injured don't forget...we were never short of goals prior to their arrival...in fact their styles never truely fitted in and actually disrupted our system.

So I'm not concerned about ince leaving to be honest,we already have enough potential firepower in my opinion.....another winger would be great,bloody great,don't get me wrong but having a settled,consistent team who are confident and playing to the best of their abilities is the key this season....

And anyway,I believe that weimann really could step up to the plate,on the wing,this season....he's no Tom ince but he's a team player and more than good enough for this division.

We have already seen evidence of a potential partnership with Martin with them linking up together and I wonder if instead of replacing ince directly,he instead becomes more of a Jamie ward terrier type of player who links up well but can deliver a decent cross too.

Ince was never brought in to cover martin

martins never scored 27 goals

we have enough firepower but Rowetts actively looking for attacking players.

your not fussed about Ince going as weimann will step up but he's no Ince!

bizarre post!

44 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Ince was never brought in to cover martin

martins never scored 27 goals

we have enough firepower but Rowetts actively looking for attacking players.

your not fussed about Ince going as weimann will step up but he's no Ince!

bizarre post!

Bizarre if that's the way your mind operates....complete sense to others but I do suspect from your comments on Pearson that we operate in parallel universes....(in yours, Pearson was good for us and didn't loan our top scoring striker out presumably.....no wonder this universe is confusing for you)

However;

A)As far as I recall,ince and bent were brought in as cover...if I'm wrong please explain

B)27 goals?.....either your maths is letting you down or you didn't read the post correctly.

C)we have adequate firepower in my opinion but who would not want better?...rowett would appear to agree.

D)Ince was excellent and weimann is also good but in different ways...as I said weimann is good enough for the championship and is a team player...ince is better but it's about the team and how it gels and plays together that's the difference and weimann seems to be capable of fitting into that role.

Archived