Is there stigma about hearing loss?

Wolfie

3 minutes ago, mozza said:

I'm as deaf as a coot, tinitus is a b#####d..

Lol 

deaf as a coot?

(not as bald as a coot??)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, mozza said:

I'm as deaf as a coot, tinitus is a b#####d..

I mentioned my tinnitus in the migraine thread, I think the doctor said new hearing aids might be beneficial in helping me out with it, actually, she might have said the opposite, I was guessing what she said. 

But I'm with you, tinnitus is a b#####d.

12 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

Specsavers have the contract for NHS hearing aid services. You don't need to go to the Drs if you feel you need a hearing test, you can refer yourself by going into Specsavers and just asking them to test you. You don't need to waste GP time (and your own) by going to ask them if they think you're going deaf. (So Boots were wrong in sending you to the GP @Wolfie

That's odd because they did nothing but say how their aids were better than NHS ones. They also didn't suggest having a proper investigation as to the cause of the hearing loss. They just wanted me to buy some there and then.

Anyhoo, I'm just glad now that I'm doing somehting about it after years od pissing people off!

On 20/07/2017 at 09:51, Wolfie said:

......and if so, why?.

I've recently been diagnosed with moderate to severe hearing loss in the mid-range of frequencies (which is where most speech lives). This wasn't a surprise to me, as I've been asking people to repeat stuff for ages and it's frustrating for all.

I'm being referred to the hospital for investigation, because there is a chance it may be caused or worsened by existing sinus & general head passage gunk conditions but it's more likely nerve damage and I'll end up with hearing aids.

Despite wearing glasses or contact lenses since I was 14, the thought of hearing aids fills me with apprehension and I don't know why, seeing as both are just making up for a natural weakness. People wear glasses all the time but this just feels like a bigger deal to me.

Is it just me?. Seriously.

By the way, I had hearing tests done at both Specsavers (first) and Boots opticians. It's Boots who told me to go the GP etc for a proper investigation. Specsavers just wanted me to immediately buy hearing aids. I'm glad I went for the second opinion.

I hope you're ok mate and everyone else.

23 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

Specsavers have the contract for NHS hearing aid services. You don't need to go to the Drs if you feel you need a hearing test, you can refer yourself by going into Specsavers and just asking them to test you. You don't need to waste GP time (and your own) by going to ask them if they think you're going deaf. (So Boots were wrong in sending you to the GP @Wolfie

That can't be right.

A franchise group with a business interest in proclaiming you deaf or otherwise has a say in whether your hearing is up to scratch or not, I can't believe it. 

Having researched it briefly, they hold less than half of the NHS England contract, and under the NHS constitution are unable to suggest that going private will lead to a better outcome, legally.

26 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

That can't be right.

A franchise group with a business interest in proclaiming you deaf or otherwise has a say in whether your hearing is up to scratch or not, I can't believe it. 

Having researched it briefly, they hold less than half of the NHS England contract, and under the NHS constitution are unable to suggest that going private will lead to a better outcome, legally.

Different health authorities may be. The one I work in patients self refer. Specsavers is one choice. 

1 hour ago, Ewe Ram said:

Different health authorities may be. The one I work in patients self refer. Specsavers is one choice. 

I guess it's not much different to eyecare, but where does it stop?

Maybe in 10 yrs we'll nip to the opticians when we have chest pains, or a bad back.

9 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I guess it's not much different to eyecare, but where does it stop?

Maybe in 10 yrs we'll nip to the opticians when we have chest pains, or a bad back.

I agree. But (on a completely different topic) something has to give. People struggle to get healthcare when they're in serious need because it's jammed up with patients attending appointments to get paracetamol free rather than pay 16p at Wilko's. 

Sith Happens
52 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I agree. But (on a completely different topic) something has to give. People struggle to get healthcare when they're in serious need because it's jammed up with patients attending appointments to get paracetamol free rather than pay 16p at Wilko's. 

Or have a cold or other ailment that will cure itself within a few days.

38 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Or have a cold or other ailment that will cure itself within a few days.

They go to GP for things that are cheaply available because they get free prescriptions. There's a new initiative where they can get free medication at the chemist if they don't pay for prescriptions. Shows that the NHS recognises that these people are a problem. 

Sith Happens
Just now, Ewe Ram said:

They go to GP for things that are cheaply available because they get free prescriptions. There's a new initiative where they can get free medication at the chemist if they don't pay for prescriptions. Shows that the NHS recognises that these people are a problem. 

They will of course say 'well why shouldn't I, everyone else does'. Why even make some of these things available on prescription, no one who pays is going to pay a prescription cost for something they can get for pence.

Prescriptions should be for meds you can't buy at Morrison's.

Not sure special chemist deals will help, guessing here that people just worry and want a doctor to give them the all clear or diagnose them with something to put their mind at ease.

Where I try not to think what's going and hope it sorts itself out. I pretty much get dragged against my will.

I don't trust half of them and annoys me no end if you're 5 mins late you've lost your appointment, get there 10 minutes early and you can end up waiting an hour.

There'll always be those who will not go away until they have been given a pill. It's the free prescriptions people who are a big drain. I get them free as I have a life long condition but I still won't go to the GP for, say, an insect bite, I go to the chemist and buy what I need. Prescriptions cost loads of money to even dispense - every chemist gets a kick back from the NHS for dispensing items. Every Dr appointment costs about £32 to even walk in the door. So those 16p paracetamol end up costing £££. 

50 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

There'll always be those who will not go away until they have been given a pill. It's the free prescriptions people who are a big drain. I get them free as I have a life long condition but I still won't go to the GP for, say, an insect bite, I go to the chemist and buy what I need. Prescriptions cost loads of money to even dispense - every chemist gets a kick back from the NHS for dispensing items. Every Dr appointment costs about £32 to even walk in the door. So those 16p paracetamol end up costing £££. 

Quite right. Note that NHS have issued guidance that all GP surgeries must not issue things on prescription such as paracetamol or  any more. They have be purchased by the patient from shops or chemists

Sith Happens

I am the same I get free prescriptions but wouldnt dream of asking for paracetamol even though i probably could due to pain i get sometimes.

But then dont get me started on how much of a drain on the NHS it is by people not being responsible, either in the way they use the NHS or the way they look after themselves.

There'll always be those who will not go away until they have been given a pill. 

I thinks its more of a doctors ritual 

After your 5 -10 minute consultation is up they write a prescription as a means of concluding the session

usually i don't bother taking it to the chemists

Archived