Jota - Signed for Birmingham City

Curtains

10 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Jesus christ, this turned into a suck fest of Brentford. 

Can't see them doing anything this year, sorry. But their squad is below average for this league and they will struggle to get past top 10. 

We've finished top ten for the past three seasons and our squad is better now than it was then?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brentford finished behind us despite us spending a quarter of a season under the stewardship of Old Blockhead. I don't think @RamsPolls is trying to be disrespectful and I myself think risking losing Jota on a free transfer on the off-chance of promotion is a super high-risk strategy, if indeed that's Brentford's thinking. Not really sure how either sentiment is 'incredibly arrogant' and I seriously doubt many of those inferring it is will be queueing up at the bookies to back Brentford for promotion. I'm not particularly enthused by our own chances, if I'm honest.

What seems more likely to me is that Brentford are making it clear that if he goes it'll be for decent money, as is their right.  

If they keep Jota and judge will be back soon I think which will make them better. Don't forget Jota was only there for half a season and judge who I rate didn't play at all. 

Got every chance of the play offs. Even if they sold Jota for £8 mil they could get a Watkins plus another couple to improve their overall squad. No reason to doubt them but the transfer market isn't closed yet, still lots of things can happen

good luck to em

41 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Jesus christ, this turned into a suck fest of Brentford. 

Can't see them doing anything this year, sorry. But their squad is below average for this league and they will struggle to get past top 10. 

They beat us 4-0, or have you forgotten that? They're a much better 'team' than we are. Yes we may have better individuals but until they can properly gel, that means nothing.

11 minutes ago, McLovin said:

They beat us 4-0, or have you forgotten that? They're a much better 'team' than we are. Yes we may have better individuals but until they can properly gel, that means nothing.

No. We finished above them, proving we were the better team last season. 

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

No. We finished above them, proving we were the better team last season. 

Have to completely disagree with that. We relied heavily on individuals last season to get us the points( Ince and Bent) and Nugent in the second half of the season. Without them we would have been around 15th. The whole strategy was to pass it to Ince and see if he could do something . It's no surprise that our record against the better teams in the league last season wasn't too great because if they stopped Ince, they stopped Derby. Relying on individuals may help you get so far but won't help you long term. Even in our long unbeaten run we were incredibly fortunate to get the points.

The best 'teams' get promoted out of his league, relying on individuals only gets you so far.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Have to completely disagree with that. We relied heavily on individuals last season to get us the points( Ince and Bent) and Nugent in the second half of the season. Without them we would have been around 15th. The whole strategy was to pass it to Ince and see if he could do something . It's no surprise that our record against the better teams in the league last season wasn't too great because if they stopped Ince, they stopped Derby. Relying on individuals may help you get so far but won't help you long term. Even in our long unbeaten run we were incredibly fortunate to get the points.

The best 'teams' get promoted out of his league, relying on individuals only gets you so far.

How can you disagree with that? We played 46 games. We finished above Brentford, therefore we are the better team. That is just logical. Yes, we had standout individuals, but so did Brentford, Jota being a notable one. Every single team has a standout individual. Tottenham has Kane, City has De Bruyne, Chelsea has Hazard. They're all top 'teams'. Just because we have individuals doesn't mean we aren't a team. We finished above Brentford, so we're a better team than them, that's a fact, not an opinion.

Just now, Andicis said:

How can you disagree with that? We played 46 games. We finished above Brentford, therefore we are the better team. That is just logical. Yes, we had standout individuals, but so did Brentford, Jota being a notable one. Every single team has a standout individual. Tottenham has Kane, City has De Bruyne, Chelsea has Hazard. They're all top 'teams'. Just because we have individuals doesn't mean we aren't a team. We finished above Brentford, so we're a better team than them, that's a fact, not an opinion.

There's a lot of luck in football, even over 46 games, because it's such a low scoring sport.  Results don't often tell you who the better teams are, performances do. 

I'm not saying that we're better or worse than Derby, but you can't base your opinion solely on league standing.

1 minute ago, Bfc1997 said:

There's a lot of luck in football, even over 46 games, because it's such a low scoring sport.  Results don't often tell you who the better teams are, performances do. 

I'm not saying that we're better or worse than Derby, but you can't base your opinion solely on league standing.

Well that's just that. There is no perfect way to measure 'who's a better team' as it's purely a subjective point. League standing is the best way to do so, because otherwise what is the alternatives? I'm basing my opinion off the best possible measure to do so. After all every single team gets luck, it evens out. How do you base your opinion? 

2 minutes ago, Bfc1997 said:

This discussion is daft

Subjectively the best team in the league is the one that finished first - After that every team is ranked based on the number of points they have achieved over the course of the season and then goal difference and other factors if needed...

If you prefer a specific team or a specific style of football then you can say that you prefer that - That you think it's a better way of playing - But the rankings in the league table are the FINAL judge of which team is better

We were better than you in 16/17 and 15/16 but you were better than us in 14/15

In all honesty, I don't think we really have a chance in signing him. I think he will probably stay at Brentford till january before a premier league club/la liga club comes in for him.

I'm more surprised that there have been no clear links with Jon Toral yet because he worked well with Rowett at Birmingham. He also had a spell at Brentford so how do you think Toral compares to Jota @Bfc1997

Archived