GR's 7-8./10 Strategy...

With the seeds of major change in our transfer activity being sown, Will all but gone and Incey wincey spider seemingly just being haggled for over the price, it would seem that GR's strategy is becoming clear. All the players we've signed so far - Curtis Davies, (Norman) Wisdom -  and those we are being linked with - Whelan, Ledley, Jackson are consistent performers, regular 7.5/8.0 performers: solid. Yes, we all lament the departure of Will's silky skills and baulk at Ince's potential departure, but they're 9/10 performers in one in three games. Too often our  more inconsistent players can't wait to offload the ball to our star players, and if they don't perform.... the team don't perform.

Don't confuse a team set up for getting out of the championship with one capable of performing in the Premiership. If you can't get to the Premiership, having a big fan base and potential sugar daddy like ours is pointless. If you can't get on the pitch with the big boys in the first place, your potential is purely hypothetical. You can do so many things when you get there  - Look what Jim Smith did; but you'll never know if you don't have Plan A to get there in the first place.

History has shown us, with the very rare exception, that the consistent "7/8 out of 10'ers" get promoted. Ironically, they don't even swap their squads around too much. No huge strength in depth, just grafters who can play 2 games a week, including a wet Wednesday night at Rotherham.

Of course we'll need some class in our squad, but with the spine of a  central defender ( Davies?), CDM ( Thorne, fingers crossed, but needing a back-up) ,midfield general ( Whelan, Ledley? ) striker and better wingers than we've got already got we can get there.

7 x 7/8 players plus a quality spine is what gets a team promoted. I'm liking the type of player we're starting to be linked with. I just hope we can get rid of, or afford to carry the many players who we have in our squad that clearly are nowhere near this level of consistency.

Don't confuse GR's " love of a grafter" for a lack in wanting quality. Our bloated inconsistent squad is like trying to turn around a tanker.

At the end of the day we all can forgive just falling short, what we can't forgive is highly paid players who we live through vicariously not putting in the consistency of effort.

I've got a good feeling. I think that tanker is being turned round....

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

With the seeds of major change in our transfer activity being sown, Will all but gone and Incey wincey spider seemingly just being haggled for over the price, it would seem that GR's strategy is becoming clear. All the players we've signed so far - Curtis Davies, (Norman) Wisdom -  and those we are being linked with - Whelan, Ledley, Jackson are consistent performers, regular 7.5/8.0 performers: solid. Yes, we all lament the departure of Will's silky skills and baulk at Ince's potential departure, but they're 9/10 performers in one in three games. Too often our  more inconsistent players can't wait to offload the ball to our star players, and if they don't perform.... the team don't perform.

Don't confuse a team set up for getting out of the championship with one capable of performing in the Premiership. If you can't get to the Premiership, having a big fan base and potential sugar daddy like ours is pointless. If you can't get on the pitch with the big boys in the first place, your potential is purely hypothetical. You can do so many things when you get there  - Look what Jim Smith did; but you'll never know if you don't have Plan A to get there in the first place.

History has shown us, with the very rare exception, that the consistent "7/8 out of 10'ers" get promoted. Ironically, they don't even swap their squads around too much. No huge strength in depth, just grafters who can play 2 games a week, including a wet Wednesday night at Rotherham.

Of course we'll need some class in our squad, but with the spine of a  central defender ( Davies?), CDM ( Thorne, fingers crossed, but needing a back-up) ,midfield general ( Whelan, Ledley? ) striker and better wingers than we've got already got we can get there.

7 x 7/8 players plus a quality spine is what gets a team promoted. I'm liking the type of player we're starting to be linked with. I just hope we can get rid of, or afford to carry the many players who we have in our squad that clearly are nowhere near this level of consistency.

Don't confuse GR's " love of a grafter" for a lack in wanting quality. Our bloated inconsistent squad is like trying to turn around a tanker.

At the end of the day we all can forgive just falling short, what we can't forgive is highly paid players who we live through vicariously not putting in the consistency of effort.

I've got a good feeling. I think that tanker is being turned round....

Totally agree if the players we were off loading were Butterfield, Anya, Blackman, Weimann, Vydra or virtually any player signed since January 2015 and we played a system that got the best out of grafters like Bryson, Russell and Hughes.

Unfortunately, nobody's going to pay anything of note for any of those UR. The only player I think who has the ability to up his game of those mentioned is Vydra. The first 4 have shown themselves to be busy with little end product, certainly not regularly and Bryson and Russell have been trading off old reputations - fans' favourites before we starting splashing the cash. All well short of any sort of consistency. I think we're going to struggle to shift any of them.

2 hours ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

History has shown us, with the very rare exception, that the consistent "7/8 out of 10'ers" get promoted.

History has also shown us that they usually go down the next season. The path we were on was the same of Watford, Bournemouth, Leicester and Southampton, the path of the exciting football which almost always guarantees survival. We've traded for the path of Burnley, West Brom, Middlesbrough, Norwich and Hull aka the path of boring football which results in multiple years of yo-yoing before you have enough money to just outspend everyone to avoid relegation (which is not guaranteed and still continues the awful football trend).

I'm going to get behind Rowett and the team just as much as anyone else. I guess I'm just more concerned with being entertained by the club I love, rather than getting promoted at all costs. Each to their own.

4 hours ago, lrm14 said:

History has also shown us that they usually go down the next season. The path we were on was the same of Watford, Bournemouth, Leicester and Southampton, the path of the exciting football which almost always guarantees survival. We've traded for the path of Burnley, West Brom, Middlesbrough, Norwich and Hull aka the path of boring football which results in multiple years of yo-yoing before you have enough money to just outspend everyone to avoid relegation (which is not guaranteed and still continues the awful football trend).

I'm going to get behind Rowett and the team just as much as anyone else. I guess I'm just more concerned with being entertained by the club I love, rather than getting promoted at all costs. Each to their own.

Exactly. Southampton and Bournemouth showed how it can be done. There is no need to play dull percentage football at this level - even if it did work and we somehow flunked promotion under Rowett, he would have to completely change the team and his philosophy once we made it to the Premier League, otherwise we would be outclassed week in, week out like Boro were last season. 

I have to travel a long way and spend a lot of money to watch Derby; I want to be entertained, not bored to tears. I will get behind the team for now but I must admit, I have very little optimism or excitement for the season ahead. 

6 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Do you really think Mel Morris will ever see "some of his money back"?

haters gunna hate

.?? Haters gonna hate??

MM said when GR was ppinted that he would have to work within stricter financil limits.

The CEO was sacked for failing in fiduciary duties.

The will hughes deal was allegedly to write off further payments to watford.

how many clues do you want?

from hereon the oub will be run on a tighter budget. Mel isn't going to keep writing the cheques like he did.

I don't hate MM - i just think he's made a lot of errors. This may not be one of them.

11 minutes ago, RamNut said:

.?? Haters gonna hate??

MM said when GR was ppinted that he would have to work within stricter financil limits.

The CEO was sacked for failing in fiduciary duties.

The will hughes deal was allegedly to write off further payments to watford.

how many clues do you want?

from hereon the oub will be run on a tighter budget. Mel isn't going to keep writing the cheques like he did.

I don't hate MM - i just think he's made a lot of errors. This may not be one of them.

We also 'allegedly' only sold Hughes for £4m, hardly going to make a dent on the money MM puts in each year, so to suggest he is starting to take his money back I would suggest is completely wide of the mark.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Would that not be to ensure we don't fall foul of FFP rules and not to refund himself?

Transfer window hasn't closed yet either, we may see money raised by sales put into signings.

Just a conspiracy theory mind you.

9 minutes ago, David said:

Transfer window hasn't closed yet either, we may see money raised by sales put into signings.

Just a conspiracy theory mind you.

I don't doubt there will be signings, but as someone said will the word 'flair' be on their cv?

22 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don't doubt there will be signings, but as someone said will the word 'flair' be on their cv?

I don't think footballers have CV's to be honest, some might have brochures mind you

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Ah yes, someone posted one up. So flair in their brochure then, and I don't mean the layout...

Honestly? I don't know.

Is it a must to have one?

Sure I've seen teams with Eustace, Bryson, Hendrick, Ward, Martin and Russell win games in style.

Think it's too early to get our knickers in a twist and visualise a Tony Pulis team. We've yet to see a Gary Rowett Derby County team play 90 minutes. This is his first transfer window and there's another 2 months left to go.

Just now, David said:

Think it's too early to get our knickers in a twist and visualise a Tony Pulis team. We've yet to see a Gary Rowett Derby County team play 90 minutes. This is his first transfer window and there's another 2 months left to go.

And he's not gonna get what he wants in one window either. Just passing the time until the players are back when there'll be lots more to talk about. Who has the best tan, the biggest gut, etc. My knickers are fine thanks. :D

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

And he's not gonna get what he wants in one window either. Just passing the time until the players are back when there'll be lots more to talk about. Who has the best tan, the biggest gut, etc. My knickers are fine thanks. :D

He's not but 2 transfer windows is a luxury at Derby that only one man has lived to tell the tale.

We're going to react to each signing and departure that's natural, even more is when the first to leave was a fan favourite and looks like last seasons top goal scorer is set to follow him out the door.

Totally understand why people would reach for the panic gifs and create theories as to what is going on but struggling to see why it automatically means dull hoofball ahead.

Seen a few wishing on the Nigel Cloigh days back again, didn't he try and do the same? Build a team of consistent 7-8's and tell anyone that may have had an ounce of flair to go back to where they came from?

Never any wow signings under him yet the core he built was responsible for the highs of 13/14. 

Archived