Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Agreed his spells at West Brom and Norwich  haven't been the best but they were both playing in the Premier League. Hughes struggled to get into a side that finished 10th in the Championship. 

I'm not sure being deemed surplus to requirements at a side pushing for the Top 4 in the Premier is that much to be ashamed of.  Joe Allan was deemed surplus to requirements at Liverpool a little under a year ago. 

Yeah they were in the prem and he looked so far out of his depth it was unreal. Are you forgetting how good Hughes was this season until he got injured against Leicester? He was absolutely class.

I never said it was something to be ashamed of. I'm just pointing out that Liverpool desperately wanted rid of him and they don't need the cash, so that is always going to drive his fee down.

Whilst I can understand those posters that simply didn't want Will to go,I find it odd that some would lambast the club over a fee that isn't actually known. The 15/16 PBSE (covering the following summer's transfer activity) clearly states that fees are payable in instalments  up to 18/19,which implies that Vydra/Anya  fees were payable over 3 years ,and hence only 1 instalment may have been paid so far. If the reported fee includes a write off of amounts owed to Watford,it puts an entirely different complexion on the matter. Unless there was a low release clause in Will's contract,then I suspect a trade off may well be the answer. To the poster who mentioned vat implications,this wouldn't be an issue,as Watford would pay vat on fee actually paid +instalments waived.

I never particularly trust reports on fees made by the press. Hendrick was reported at £10.5m,yet 15/16 PBSE quotes a figure of £9,667,431 for summer sales,which included Shotton,Albentosa,Buxton,so Jeff may have come in at c£7m. Hence if the fee was £10.5m,then a substantial part would probably be add ons,which may/may not materialise. If appearances/Burnley staying up featured,we might be in luck.

When the16/17 a/cs come out next April,then the profit on player sales will be quoted. I doubt Shotton/Albentosa/Buxton will amount to much,so if you simply deduct the Grant fee from the quoted figure,you should get a decent idea of the Hendrick fee (which should have been nearly all profit). Unfortunately,the 17/18 accounts won't allow an insight into Will's fee,as there'll probably be a lot of transactions (even cancelled contracts have an impact).......and you'd have to wait a long time to find out anyway.

7 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I've heard today off a very reliable source. That the total fee is £8.5 million with potential add ons and a sell on clause. 

Unfortunately we owe £4 million for Anya. So Watford are giving us 4.5 million and writing the money for Anya off. 

If we owe £4m for Anya,then we would have paid next to nothing up front,which doesn't seem very realistic.

38 minutes ago, Boss said:

Perhaps the bit your missing, is that Hughes hasn't been playing well since summer 2014 either. He's not progressed here at Derby, perhaps a large portion of blame can be placed on injury and ever-changing managers, but he's not kicked on like many of us thought he would do.

He has played well since summer 2014.

He wouldn't be going to Watford for that fee if he hadn't.

3 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Whilst I can understand those posters that simply didn't want Will to go,I find it odd that some would lambast the club over a fee that isn't actually known. The 15/16 PBSE (covering the following summer's transfer activity) clearly states that fees are payable in instalments  up to 18/19,which implies that Vydra/Anya  fees were payable over 3 years ,and hence only 1 instalment may have been paid so far. If the reported fee includes a write off of amounts owed to Watford,it puts an entirely different complexion on the matter. Unless there was a low release clause in Will's contract,then I suspect a trade off may well be the answer. To the poster who mentioned vat implications,this wouldn't be an issue,as Watford would pay vat on fee actually paid +instalments waived.

I never particularly trust reports on fees made by the press. Hendrick was reported at £10.5m,yet 15/16 PBSE quotes a figure of £9,667,431 for summer sales,which included Shotton,Albentosa,Buxton,so Jeff may have come in at c£7m. Hence if the fee was £10.5m,then a substantial part would probably be add ons,which may/may not materialise. If appearances/Burnley staying up featured,we might be in luck.

When the16/17 a/cs come out next April,then the profit on player sales will be quoted. I doubt Shotton/Albentosa/Buxton will amount to much,so if you simply deduct the Grant fee from the quoted figure,you should get a decent idea of the Hendrick fee (which should have been nearly all profit). Unfortunately,the 17/18 accounts won't allow an insight into Will's fee,as there'll probably be a lot of transactions (even cancelled contracts have an impact).......and you'd have to wait a long time to find out anyway.

I know it can be argued that you take a chance with any signing but I'd prefer the full amount for Hughes and send Vydra and Anya back. I don't know how we have entertained Watford after the dross they've stitched us up with.

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

He has played well since summer 2014.

He wouldn't be going to Watford for that fee if he hadn't.

Well said.

Still think Ramage has brokered this deal and is getting a brown envelope stuffed with filthy cash from the Hornets.

13 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Maybe Watford were so desperate to get shot of his wages they accepted our terms.

In the world of 'maybes', maybe you're wrong and maybe your source is wrong (and maybe I'm wrong). How does Vydra fit into all this?

28 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I've heard today off a very reliable source. That the total fee is £8.5 million with potential add ons and a sell on clause. 

Unfortunately we owe £4 million for Anya. So Watford are giving us 4.5 million and writing the money for Anya off. 

Well that makes me feel slightly better, 8.5 is still robbery but it's not a complete shafting, it's arguably about on his market value but for a player like him we shouldn't be selling him unless the offer is way above that based on his importance to the team

18 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I know it can be argued that you take a chance with any signing but I'd prefer the full amount for Hughes and send Vydra and Anya back. I don't know how we have entertained Watford after the dross they've stitched us up with.

Takes 2 to tango,so we stitched ourselves up as well. Although the Anya fee appears high,I wouldn't call him dross.I also think Vydra could do quite well in the right set up.

Watford are the only club bidding. Fans are saying the fee isn't anywhere near big enough. Derby aren't saying no to the sale. Have a think about that. 

If Will was as amazing as many suggest, where are the other bidders? Not big clubs, but any clubs. Where are they? 

If we wanted to keep Will at all costs because GR thinks he's amazing, why aren't we? And why if that's the case are we letting him leave for what looks to many, a small fee? 

It looks to me like Will fancies a shot at the top flight and is grabbing a chance while he can. Because surely we aren't actively trying to move him on and Watford are the only club interested? No. I think Will wants his shot at the Prem having seen others get theirs. And Derby aren't that fussed and feel they can plough on without him. 

Just my opinion. 

37 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

A like is for relief. Clearly as a respected member I Believe this from you. I still think it's too low so the like is not for the fee but It's not as bad as I was fearing. 8.5 sell on clause and add ons means I can cope with the deal.

56 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

No mention of Vydra? So as I understand it we still owe em for Vydra (however much that is) and have 4.5 plus addons in a "swap" for Anya?...

Therefore if I understand right we are getting Anya in a swap deal plus 4.5mill plus add ons...

It would be therefore safe to assume we still owe circ 6mill on Vydra...

therefore we still owe them 1.5mill which I am presuming the addons will take care of and maybe make us a slight profit...

In essence we have "swapped" WH for Vydra and Anya.....if my understanding is right....

PistoldPete2
15 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Watford are the only club bidding. Fans are saying the fee isn't anywhere near big enough. Derby aren't saying no to the sale. Have a think about that. 

If Will was as amazing as many suggest, where are the other bidders? Not big clubs, but any clubs. Where are they? 

If we wanted to keep Will at all costs because GR thinks he's amazing, why aren't we? And why if that's the case are we letting him leave for what looks to many, a small fee? 

It looks to me like Will fancies a shot at the top flight and is grabbing a chance while he can. Because surely we aren't actively trying to move him on and Watford are the only club interested? No. I think Will wants his shot at the Prem having seen others get theirs. And Derby aren't that fussed and feel they can plough on without him. 

Just my opinion. 

Well there's two months left of the transfer window. And who says we have to sell hughes anyway? 

Archived