Early betting odds for 2017/18. Would you be happy with 5th?

England Ram

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recently ,Watford got promoted after having god knows how many managers and Huddersfield having spent a Butterfield fee over two seasons on transfers .It's a lottery to some degree, it's a strong league next season [as always] I still stand by my post that the play off final was our time and it's gone .Sorry I think we will be the eternal bridesmaid Mel will get fed up  and we be a Championship side for a while .Hope I'm wrong .

Considering money spent over the last few seasons with the object of achieving promotion .Having obtained the manager Mel has stated he wants for the job.The fact that GR has had the end od season to access players,a full closed season to train and prepare and bring in new players.I would suggest anything less than 5th would be considered disappointing.

PistoldPete2

Mel described the season as a disaster. Well if 60 odd points is a disaster, we have to be expecting more than that to avoid another disaster. So 5th or 6th would be a minimum requirement. 

On 31/05/2017 at 08:50, McRamFan said:

Unbeaten at home would be good, more wins that draws.

Do that and that's top six at least.

If we lose first home game do not fear. We lost first game to Oldham but did not lose again at home and beat Pompey to the title. That was a special special season. Aaaaahhhh memories :yes:

mumblemumble

Considering Leeds, Hull, Boro and Sunderland are yet to appoint a manager I think you can rule them out of the top 2 and maybe even the top 6 (especially Hull and Sunderland).

That leaves Villa, Wednesday, Fulham, Norwich, Reading and Derby as the more stable clubs and arguably the strongest teams in the division.

I'd be happy with a playoff finish.

5 hours ago, mumblemumble said:

Considering Leeds, Hull, Boro and Sunderland are yet to appoint a manager I think you can rule them out of the top 2 and maybe even the top 6 (especially Hull and Sunderland).

That leaves Villa, Wednesday, Fulham, Norwich, Reading and Derby as the more stable clubs and arguably the strongest teams in the division.

I'd be happy with a playoff finish.

Interesting that you include Derby amongst the "more stable" clubs. 

On 5/30/2017 at 14:07, England Ram said:

Just having a look at the early betting odds now the playoffs have finished.

Without any movement in the transfer market Sky have us with the joint 5th best odds. 

Would you be happy with a playoff place next year? 

What do you think to Villa having the shortest odds? 

And Burton being odds on favourites for relegation compared to all the newly promoted teams? 

https://m.skybet.com/football/sky-bet-championship/event/20597365

Reaching the play offs would be a big plus. Finishing 8th or 9th would be more realistic and most fans would probably accept that in Rowetts first full season. 

PistoldPete2
3 hours ago, europia said:

Reaching the play offs would be a big plus. Finishing 8th or 9th would be more realistic and most fans would probably accept that in Rowetts first full season. 

If we finish 8th or 9th again it would be rowettt's first and last season. 

People saying how difficult it is to get promotion from this league.Really? No it's dead easy..or it should be.Us last season..all that was needed was a 1-0 home defeat to Hull City then a bang average 1-0 win V a disappointing 'didn't turn up' Wednesday.Hudders this season? Finish with a minus goal difference..score one goal in three playoff matches and go up to the Premier league without winning a match! Now what's difficult about that?

PistoldPete2
20 hours ago, Patrick Rams said:

People saying how difficult it is to get promotion from this league.Really? No it's dead easy..or it should be.Us last season..all that was needed was a 1-0 home defeat to Hull City then a bang average 1-0 win V a disappointing 'didn't turn up' Wednesday.Hudders this season? Finish with a minus goal difference..score one goal in three playoff matches and go up to the Premier league without winning a match! Now what's difficult about that?

It was difficult to break Huddersfield down when they play 11 men in defence. 

Promotion has to be the target. Anything else would be failure. Are Reading or Huddersfield better than us when we have a fully fit team? Not for me so no reason why promotion should not be the aim.

The season before last, both Huddersfield and Reading had awful seasons but last season they reached the play off final.

Martin, Forsyth and Thorne if all fully fit will be like new signings. I think we will do better than what some are expecting, especially if Rowett addresses the key areas that need addressing, specifically RB, CDM and LW.

Last year between them Powell, Mac and GR averaged 1.8 points per game.  Over a full season that would have seen us finishing 4th on 83 points, just a couple of points off Reading and 10 behind automatic.  Which is a roundabout way of saying if we hadn’t had that Unreconstructed, Monumental Bellend Pearson with his 0.6 point average we would have been safely in the play-offs and­ would be looking back on a reasonable-to-good season.  Add the fact that the UMB also gave away our top striker then I don’t think it an unreasonable leap of imagination to think we might have done even better and pushed for the autos.  Take out Pearson’s 9 games and I don’t think we would be talking about wholesale changes and lack of character…etc.  That’s not to say everything is rosey – sure we need a few out and a few in but we should not lose sight of the fact we have a pretty good team and squad.  Never thought I would say this but probably all we need is a Daryl Powell type and we can push for top two.

PistoldPete2

Atm we have the strongest squad ever. Martin back from loan, Davies in to give us more in defence, including more tempo building from the back, which has been a problem especially last year.

with nugent , martin and bent as CF options we should be full of goals, specially with Ince,vydra  weimann and russell. We do need to improve other areas and probably get rid of the dead wood. But we really should be targeting promotion, and I would have thought favourites along with boro. 

Archived