Volunteering

AmericanRam

I volunteered at a local homeless shelter last week, and it was great to see how involved and caring all the other volunteers were. Everyone worked well together to make sure everyone was fed, had some clothes if needed, a bed, and even had a therapist on-call who came in and talked to some if they wanted too. I enjoyed my day there and even though a tough situation for the ones we helped to be involved in, a lot told me how much they appreciated what we had done and were doing for them.

I have done a lot of volunteer work over the years, and still do so whenever I can at American Red Cross, Salvation Army,  the above again soon, etc and always enjoy it. To help those in need, and to have a group of volunteers who really work together and have the drive, energy, and enthusiasm to ensure those we help leave or stay as the case may be with a smile on their faces makes it all the worthwhile.

Would love to read some other's experience with doing similar volunteer work or just volunteering in general.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, AmericanRam said:

I volunteered at a local homeless shelter last week, and it was great to see how involved and caring all the other volunteers were. Everyone worked well together to make sure everyone was fed, had some clothes if needed, a bed, and even had a therapist on-call who came in and talked to some if they wanted too. I enjoyed my day there and even though a tough situation for the ones we helped to be involved in, a lot told me how much they appreciated what we had done and were doing for them.

I have done a lot of volunteer work over the years, and still do so whenever I can at American Red Cross, Salvation Army,  the above again soon, etc and always enjoy it. To help those in need, and to have a group of volunteers who really work together and have the drive, energy, and enthusiasm to ensure those we help leave or stay as the case may be with a smile on their faces makes it all the worthwhile.

Would love to read some other's experience with doing similar volunteer work or just volunteering in general.

Wish I could but you are the better man. 

Don't know if it's voluntary of sorts but I refuse any money for what I do regarding my vlog and addiction.

Been offered money to do lectures and join gambling support groups, but feel it's morally wrong to profit on my story and my addiction.

Also been told to start charging for what I do by many people who have been influenced to stop because of me. I just can't bring myself to charge people who are struggling like I was, and continue to do so. So I will be continuing to do whait I do without ever earning a penny ever. It's the right thing to do, all I've wanted to do is help others.

What a top top man @AmericanRam is. 

I hadn't really given the concept of volunteering much thought previously. The more l read of American Ram and Mafia's efforts though, it does strike me that it really isn't a sustainable business model.

2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Don't know if it's voluntary of sorts but I refuse any money for what I do regarding my vlog and addiction.

Been offered money to do lectures and join gambling support groups, but feel it's morally wrong to profit on my story and my addiction.

Also been told to start charging for what I do by many people who have been influenced to stop because of me. I just can't bring myself to charge people who are struggling like I was, and continue to do so. So I will be continuing to do whait I do without ever earning a penny ever. It's the right thing to do, all I've wanted to do is help others.

Whilst your morales are admirable take the money. If you don't take it will only be someone else that's using it to pay off their student loans having never experienced the effects of gambling, they do however have a degree in understanding what the books tell them.

17 minutes ago, David said:

Whilst your morales are admirable take the money. If you don't take it will only be someone else that's using it to pay off their student loans having never experienced the effects of gambling, they do however have a degree in understanding what the books tell them.

No, I can't...... I'm not wanting to be part of the blame the "evil" bookies, FOBTS and everyone else brigade..... every group that's approached me has this agenda. It's bonkers an it's nannying. Most people have no problem with gambling, we are in a minority.... you've got to want to help and want it for yourself..... I don't subscribe into blaming others. I'll end up getting tarred with the same brush as these groups etc.

I will continue to offer support..... I only have one desire.... to stop myself from gambling and help others who want to do the same. No excuses

4 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

No, I can't...... I'm not wanting to be part of the blame the "evil" bookies, FOBTS and everyone else brigade..... every group that's approached me has this agenda. It's bonkers an it's nannying. Most people have no problem with gambling, we are in a minority.... you've got to want to help and want it for yourself..... I don't subscribe into blaming others. I'll end up getting tarred with the same brush as these groups etc.

I will continue to offer support..... I only have one desire.... to stop myself from gambling and help others who want to do the same. No excuses

Not saying modify your speech to take the money from groups that you don't agree with. If one does suit your thinking and they offer money to do a talk be silly not to take it. Most will be funded in someway by the government, if Margaret Beckett can claim £20 worth of pencil sharpeners.... 

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

Take the money (where the offerers can afford it) and use it to fund your work with people who can't afford to buy 'your advice'. Or set up a charitable fund?

56 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Take the money (where the offerers can afford it) and use it to fund your work with people who can't afford to buy 'your advice'. Or set up a charitable fund?

I know what you're saying..... but I still feel uncomfortable..... maybe it's because I went to GA for help, and the fact they take no money from the outside, and are self funding. I could be decently well off through what I'm doing. But money, and any other gambling addict it's the last thing we really want to have in our hands. If I ever came into a crazy amount of money, I'd be absolutely on edge. 

It may sound daft to most on here and afar..... but I couldn't care less about making money..... I chased it for so long without ever realising what I was chasing is there all along. We have got a roof over our heads in a nice house, a good job, a family and a decent holiday every year..... but the one thing I've gained the most since I've stopped, and what I hold dearly..... is the trust again.

Apologies for taken over the thread guys. 

On 27/05/2017 at 09:15, Mafiabob said:

Have you considered donating that money to charities or organisations who help those with addictions?

I volunteered for a few years, firstly with Victim Support contacting or visiting people who have been victims of crime helping them sort out any issues they have and referring on if needed or just sitting and having a cuppa and a chat and let them get it all off their chest. The training for Victim support was very intense, 4 full days in a row if i remember rightly. Listening skills, communication skills, diversity etc.

Then I went from Victim Support to Witness Service, it's all under the same service and I went once maybe twice a week and met witnesses for the prosecution and sometimes defence and took them round a court and explained the proceedure.  Then when they actually attened court, we'd sit with them in the wairing room, sometimes for hours, go through as much as we could again and go into court with them if they wanted.  I really enjoyed witness service, did most of it at magistrates court but sometimes went to crown if it was busy.  I sat through arguments with neighbours to minor assaults to rape trials. Never a day the same.  I miss it.  Would still be there if we were paid but unfortunately I had to get a paid job eventually.  Applied a couple of times for an usher job but they don't come up very often and competition is high. 

I know it's not strictly volunteering but me & the Mrs regularly donate a bag of shopping to a local homeless organisation.  We occasionally take a coffee to someone on the streets.  Saying that, the last guy we gave one to, looked p1ssed off we just didn't give him the equivalent £5 it cost.  

On 28/05/2017 at 16:55, Ghost of Clough said:

Have you considered donating that money to charities or organisations who help those with addictions?

I like to raise money for a different charity every year through my running 

1 minute ago, ramsbottom said:

I know it's not strictly volunteering but me & the Mrs regularly donate a bag of shopping to a local homeless organisation.  We occasionally take a coffee to someone on the streets.  Saying that, the last guy we gave one to, looked p1ssed off we just didn't give him the equivalent £5 it cost.  

I buy sandwich or a greggs etc, or night out will buy a burger and chips etc 

I volunteer at two of my local football clubs, Hucknall Town where I am the Press officer and committee member. Also Hucknall Sports where I coach at under 7 level going up to under 8's in the new season.

I find coaching very rewarding. Kids look up to you and seeing over the weeks, months and years improving gives a great sence of satisfaction.There is alot of work that people don't realize, arranging with the opponents the next fixture, planning training sessions, check availability of the player, setting up the pitches etc. 

I do enjoy volunteering at Hucknall Town but the abuse I get working on the turnstile was unjust (cue the jokes from David and Boyice). We have a sign up saying "before you complain have you volunteered yet?"

I'm both a Cub and Scout Leader (yes, dib dib dib, before anyone says it) in Mickleover, also get involved with Guiding as my girlfriend is a Rainbow Leader, along with some of my friends being leaders elsewhere.

It's just so rewarding and welcoming - a group in Findern took in a couple of Syrian children for the Spring Bank camp at Drum Hill in Derbyshire. Within a few days of asking around for any spare clothes and camping gear, they had everything they needed, and more besides.

It's given me the chance to do things that I wouldn't be able to do otherwise, not just as a young member, but also as a leader, and to provide that opportunity to others makes the paperwork, fraught planning and sleep deprivation all totally worth it.

It's also given me my best friends, and my girlfriend.

I've coached (mainly cricket) for over 20 years for my local team and now disability cricket. I've also run playschemes for kids in the school holidays.

Done some teaching and coaching in African schools which was an amazing experience.

I used to run a community cinema for 10 years and was on the committee of local sports and community development trusts.

My volunteering as always been in areas that I am interested in. Certainly in sport, without volunteers we would never produce professional sports people. 

Archived