Volunteering

AmericanRam

On 30 May 2017 at 15:40, Hucknall Ram said:

I volunteer at two of my local football clubs, Hucknall Town where I am the Press officer and committee member. Also Hucknall Sports where I coach at under 7 level going up to under 8's in the new season.

I find coaching very rewarding. Kids look up to you and seeing over the weeks, months and years improving gives a great sence of satisfaction.There is alot of work that people don't realize, arranging with the opponents the next fixture, planning training sessions, check availability of the player, setting up the pitches etc. 

I do enjoy volunteering at Hucknall Town but the abuse I get working on the turnstile was unjust (cue the jokes from David and Boyice). We have a sign up saying "before you complain have you volunteered yet?"

Snap!.....SFA Coach and I also find coaching the kids very rewarding. And I think your sign at Hucknall Town is brilliant, I might have to pinch that idea, especially when the kids get older, and the "dropper offers" and the "picker uppers" actually stick around to actually watch their own kids develop or better still volunteer, and hopefully don't waste everybody's time by complaining. Because actions speak louder than words.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a volunteer counsellor at Cruse bereavement and have been for 4 years now.

I have learned so much. People are amazing! Their capacity to battle through all kinds of adversity is incredible and I find it both humbling and exciting.

I have also joined projects such as garden clearance to support a homeless charity called St Mungo's and am tackling a 100km walk for this charity on 1st July.

I would urge that you all consider a little voluntary work. The pay-off is a great team atmosphere and the feeling you have made a difference which isn't always the case in paid work.

I've volunteered in the past with British Heart Foundation. Though it was done with the intention of strengthening my CV and getting a part-time job whilst at uni, I found myself more than happy to stay longer than asked because it was such a positive experience to speak to people from all walks of life. I've done countless work experience/voluntary roles in my Sports Journalism course too. Spent 18 months covering FC Halifax Town up and down the country whilst going through my studies, getting to know exotic locations like Braintree and Boreham Wood.

To be honest, I went into volunteering with a bit of a negative attitude considering there is no monetary reward for it. But saying that, the experience I've gained and the opportunities it has provided have been more enjoyable and rewarding than paid roles I've had.

Archived