Barnes and Ball

Woodley Ram

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Barnes was very very good. He's doing alright now. He's far from the worst story of false promise. Didn't like him tbh but he was special. He wasn't all power, pace and aggression and sent packing to the corner flag which is what some of the "next superstar" players have always been. 

Better than Hughes? Not sure tbh. I think Hughes has done all he can at Derby. I know hes struggled this season but he's still ready imo to go onto a better team and pull their strings, be the go to guy, back up and support every corner of the pitch and hit the right pass at the right time. With better players I feel he would make them even better. I think he needs testing rather than staying here where we don't really know what to do with the ball half the time. 

Never saw too much of Ball. He had a great 45 mins v West Ham at home. Would it be fair to say he was a big strong powerful lad who perhaps lost his edge when up against big strong powerful grown men who have too much experience to give a toss about him?

Barnes suffered from injuries big time but deserves huge respect for his career path.

He could have just become a bench player at a Championship club or League One club but he took a paycut to go to the US.

His starting salary was only 120,000 dollars per year, around £1,750 per week which is what you could earn in lower League One.

He became a hit in the US, worked hard, and got his move to Vancouver then Orlando where he now earns 750,000 us per year.

He took a big risk going over to the US in a league where making good money is very difficult due to the wage caps and three designated player rules.

It's easy when you're 32 and already loaded to go to the US on a £1,750 per week, but doing it at 22 or whatever deserves respect.

Saw Callum Ball playing for Barwell against Sutton Coldfield About two months ago. Looked a few stone over weight but had fantastic touch and scored a good goal. 

I thought he could of made it but it's tough out there.... hope he still enjoys his football 

Football can be quite brutal. You could have amazing technique, but if you don't have the awareness, mobility off the ball or positioning sense there really isn't a future for you in the top two tiers.

I remember playing school football alongside Lewis McGugan. He was an athlete and had superb ball-striking technique. We weren't best mates but he used to tell me how he'd travel with the England U17s when he was only 14.

He represented England U19s too and was considered a top prospect coming through at Forest.

But as he became professional his physical attributes counted for little, and he soon became renowned as an excellent free-kick taker and long-distance shooting expert but little else.

Younger players with better awareness and positioning soon overtook him, and suddenly he was 25 in Watford's reserves and being shipped out on loan to Sheff Wed.

He got a three-year deal in 2015 and wasn't even given a squad number this season, but it looks like he will stay there until 2018 unless released as he has nowhere else to go.

He's 29 in October and he will consider himself too big for League One IMO.

That's why I have more respect for Giles Barnes and what he did compared to McGugan who has become a millionaire being a reserve team player in the Championship.

Also makes me realise unless you have immense ability like Balotelli, you can't really get away with being half-arsed. You have to dedicate yourself to the sport to make a good career for yourself.

Sometimes it's down to luck too, and getting that break under the right manager. Who ever thought Ian Evatt would have had a stint in the PL while players such as Lewin Nyatanga and Miles Addison slipped down the ladder.

I don't hold much hope for Bennett and Hanson either to be honest, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Nyatanga was terrible in my opinion. Was given false hope because he was a local lad.
Was awful at Derby, I know he was young, but like Keogh made so many individual errors, noticed he never did very well at Bristol city either, not even when they were league one. I honestly dont know where hsi level is, Non league perhaps?

Sith Happens
8 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Nyatanga was terrible in my opinion. Was given false hope because he was a local lad.
Was awful at Derby, I know he was young, but like Keogh made so many individual errors, noticed he never did very well at Bristol city either, not even when they were league one. I honestly dont know where hsi level is, Non league perhaps?

If his level is non league hes taking his time getting there, over 300 appearances in the football league add to that over 30 for the national team. Did play over 100 times for Bristol so cant have been that bad.

26 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Talk about OTT.

Percentages of academy players who reach the very top is so ridiculously small, any academy product who has a long league career can be considered a success. Nyatanga falls into that Category. 

As for Barnes, fair play to him for carving out a decent career in the US, wonder if he will consider another go at a career in England at some point. 

Barnes was the main reason we had our only promotion in about 15 years. We won so many games by playing boring and letting him do a bit of magic

He also hobbled onto the field at Wembley and made the difference, which could have/did make his injury worse. I'm pretty sure he made a big contribution to the goal, perhaps playing the key pass to whoever crossed it to Pearson.

I remeber Barnes turning up at Derby for Doncaster Rovers a few years ago. He played most of the game to a raucous of boos.

He was awful that day and a shadow of the player i remembered in that play off winning season. He changed the game when he came on at Wembley.  How times change.

Glad he has carved himself out and interesting career.

13 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Lewin according to wiki was with Northampton town on loan from Barnsley last season.

Nice to see you starting to put a little research into your posts, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing I have taught you so well. 

Archived