Travel Tips

sage

As we get into the main holiday season (no football) I thought we could have a travel tip thread. Not recommending places to go to, more what to take with you, surviving long flights, packing etc

I will start off with some stuff I always take with me.

When I go somewhere hot I always take concentrated squash with me to relieve the boredom of bottled water. I always take a little torch, particularly when staying outside Europe/U.S. it makes me laugh when you see people use their phone as a torch to feel safe. so holding a £500 phone will stop a mugger! Finally I always put spare pants, socks and a T-shirt in my carry on luggage even if I have a check on bag. It is very rare that a bag goes missing for a couple of days but if it does...it is also handy if you catch a long flight then have to get a short connecting one. Having a wash and putting fresh clothes on makes you feel human again. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would have said sign up to MyGatwick as one of their offers was a free coffee at Pret, but that's ended. There are other offers though if you're flying from Gatwick airport.

Make sure your EHIC is in date.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Would have said sign up to MyGatwick as one of their offers was a free coffee at Pret, but that's ended. There are other offers though if you're flying from Gatwick airport.

Make sure your EHIC is in date.

Gatwick, if doing long haul and flying overnight, landing back in the UK 8am etc, then the hotels do a "day rate" which basically means you have a room until 6pm. I think I got one for £50 last year.

If you are like me and can't sleep on planes, then having a room to kip in prior to driving up the road to the Midlands takes a bit of stress out of the trip home. 

25 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Gatwick, if doing long haul and flying overnight, landing back in the UK 8am etc, then the hotels do a "day rate" which basically means you have a room until 6pm. I think I got one for £50 last year.

If you are like me and can't sleep on planes, then having a room to kip in prior to driving up the road to the Midlands takes a bit of stress out of the trip home. 

In which case check out 'parking and hotel' deals too, hotel overnight can be pre or post holiday. Got an overnight and 8 days parking last November for £51, £74 for a week in May. Book early I think for better deal.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

-take something to play your music on, if there are a few of you, chilling out waiting for someone to get ready and shower can drag on. I've just purchased 2 JBL Charge3 speakers for my trips this year.

Which reminds me, if you take your missus headphones are essential 

1 minute ago, David said:

Which reminds me, if you take your missus headphones are essential 

definitely, I bought some Bose QC35 for the flight. I also have some Sennheiser in-ear for around the pool and beach.

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

definitely, I bought some Bose QC35 for the flight. I also have some Sennheiser in-ear for around the pool and beach.

I know, told you about my QC25's and you had to go one better.

Really wish I went for the wireless now, having a wire feels so 90's

17 minutes ago, David said:

I know, told you about my QC25's and you had to go one better.

Really wish I went for the wireless now, having a wire feels so 90's

I even got away with using the wireless on the flight home. :ph34r: (the plane didn't go funny or nuffink)

48 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Check in online wherever possible.

Clear security as early as you can, it is a lot less stress sitting airside a little longer than queuing, in a massive queue.

I wish, I cannot go airside until the very last minute, the sight of a plane gives me a massive panic attack, I have to go through a ritual, I have to make the panic attack peak through walking to the gate, I stop and buy a banana en route and eat it before boarding, always pre book my seat and randomly talk to everybody that looks at me on the plane, no I'm not nuts but its a distraction tactic, I used to take flight panic attack pills and ending up taking 3-4 tablets in the toilet before boarding but by the time I got on the plane my legs were like jelly and I would sleep the entire holiday, my kids love going on holidays but unfortunately its a nasty ordeal for me :(

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

In which case check out 'parking and hotel' deals too, hotel overnight can be pre or post holiday. Got an overnight and 8 days parking last November for £51, £74 for a week in May. Book early I think for better deal.

Agreed.

We stay overnight at Manchester airport before our flights to USA which are usually mid morning take off.

Choice: Get up at 4am followed by a tired, stressed drive to the airport, or Dinner B&B plus 2 weeks parking for about £20 more than the parking alone would have cost elsewhere.

No brainer.

Am trying out a VPN for the tablet this time. I get fed up of trying to listen to the football or whatever live sport only to hear the 'can't be broadcast in your region' garbage. I'm too mean to pay so am trying out a couple of freebies... :D

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Am trying out a VPN for the tablet this time. I get fed up of trying to listen to the football or whatever live sport only to hear the 'can't be broadcast in your region' garbage. I'm too mean to pay so am trying out a couple of freebies... :D

most free VPN's contain malware or some other sadistic virus, nothing is free?

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I tried this in Prague to get Derby match on SkyGo, absolute waste of effort and time, more trouble than it's worth.

Archived