Slooow Laptop - any techies out there?

Phoenix

6 hours ago, David said:

3 years? Is that all? Under the new consumer law Apple say they will make sure its fit for purpose for 6 years from sale date.

Dont intend to turn this into a Windows v Apple topic despite my first post in this thread, but 3 years is poor.

Yes but the price difference means a pc user can change hardware 4 or 5 times for the same money.

Saw a second hand MacBook in cash converters priced at £1355 Just this evening.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

Yes but the price difference means a pc user can change hardware 4 or 5 times for the same money.

Did it come with 20m+ logins and passwords?

57 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Silly price, I've got a brand new sealed on on eBay now for £900 if you want? :) 

got completely fed up with pcs and laptops running poorly after just a couple of years of use

eventually bought a good chromebook and havent looked back...never any need to use anti virus programmes or anti spyware as its all looked after on googles servers.

almost everything is done online (the only issue for some but a lot of programmes run offline such as google docs etc) and all programmes are updated in the background so even  after a few years use,every programme runs as new and without any lag,or slowdown.....ever

brilliant.

and very cheap too.

On 21/04/2017 at 08:06, David said:

3 years? Is that all? Under the new consumer law Apple say they will make sure its fit for purpose for 6 years from sale date.

Dont intend to turn this into a Windows v Apple topic despite my first post in this thread, but 3 years is poor.

currently still using my mid-2010 macbook pro every day, still runs like a champ!  :thumbsup:   

The latest chapter in this sorry tale. I decided to do a system recovery from the 4 DVDs I created when I first got the laptop.

It turned out that 3 of them had some sort of corruption on them. I managed to overcome this by copying the discs on my desktop, with a program that tries to sort out disc errors. This went ok for the most part, the main downside being that if disc 3 fails, you can't re-insert it, you have to start from the beginning again.

Several hours and restarts later, I discovered that disc four was irrecoverable. Hence a laptop with no operating system. I even tried a recovery from my wifes HP recovery discs but it wouldn't have it.

End result, Curry's, and £60 for a reinstatement of the original system, hopefully. The only upside is that I had backed up all my documents, music and pictures. C'est la vie as Ms LePen might say.

If you have a friend with an installation disc containing the same version of Windows 7, you could have used that to reinstall. This is legal, you pay for the licence key not the media. I think that is all Currys will do. You should have a sticker on the back of your computer with the key and version of Windows.

• 3 weeks later...

OK. So I got my laptop fixed at PCWorld, who diagnosed a faulty hard drive (new one £37, so not too bad) and re-installed the' original' system - Windows 7.

I now have a new problem, which I'm sure wan't there when I got it back from PCW. I no longer have line input on my Realtec sound card i.e. If I go into 'Recording devices', it only shows Mic input.

I've tried the usual 'right click on the plain area and look for hidden devices', and tried updating the latest drivers, from 3 different sources, but with no success.

The idea is to record music either from the internet or an external source, capturing it with a program I have. As it is quite old and has a few glitches, I downloaded firstly Nero 9 (not sure why), and then Audacity. It was when I was trying to run Audacity I noticed there was no line input.

Can it be that one of these programs has altered some internal setting, which I can't find? Any ideas gratefully accepted.

53 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I now have a new problem, which I'm sure wan't there when I got it back from PCW. I no longer have line input on my Realtec sound card i.e. If I go into 'Recording devices', it only shows Mic input.

Missing driver by the sounds of it, take it back, or try and find one online.

14 hours ago, Ashz09 said:

Happened to me once. I found a Realtec Software and Driver off the internet and it's fine again.

I've tried that. I also tried deleting the existing driver and re-installing from the official Realtec site. No change.

I also find that my laptop appears to show TWO sound cards, AMD and Realtec. For what it's worth, I also deleted the AMD driver and re-installed. Still no joy. At a loss now.

8 hours ago, Phoenix said:

I've tried that. I also tried deleting the existing driver and re-installing from the official Realtec site. No change.

I also find that my laptop appears to show TWO sound cards, AMD and Realtec. For what it's worth, I also deleted the AMD driver and re-installed. Still no joy. At a loss now.

I'd try CC Inks just off London Road if you live in Derby. Their brilliant and don't charge stupid amounts.

9 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Take it back to PC world, they have returned it to you not fixed, it is their responsibility to fix it.

They said that they would replace the HD and reinstall the original system, therefore they have failed to forfil their obligations and are legally bound to resolve it.  Just refer them to The Consumer Rights Act 2015.

11 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Take it back to PC world, they have returned it to you not fixed, it is their responsibility to fix it.

And the sooner the better.

Longer you wait they will think you've messed something up and try and charge you again. 

5 hours ago, McRamFan said:

They said that they would replace the HD and reinstall the original system, therefore they have failed to forfil their obligations and are legally bound to resolve it.  Just refer them to The Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Of course it's PC World they might make it worse! #oops

Sith Happens
5 hours ago, David said:

And the sooner the better.

Longer you wait they will think you've messed something up and try and charge you again. 

There is a good chance they may do so already. You can see when a driver has been installed so they may look at this and say thats the cause of the issue.

If it was me i wouldnt just uninstall the driver i'd uninstall the actual device and let it re-install.

• 1 month later...

I didnt want to start a new thread but wondering if anyone has ideas for resolving this.

I have a decent laptop, probably top of the range on Windows platform, but after the last update, my keyboard is...... well..... bolloxed.

I have to type very slowly or it misses letters. I have tried certain things, such as messing with filter keys and it doesn't resolve the issue.

It even affects backspace/delete if pressed too quickly.

any ideas?

Archived