St George's Day.

13 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I think there are a number of reasons people dont celebrate it as such.

I think some people are afraid to celebrate being english, the tabloid press could be responsible for this with scare stories of the flag being banned so not to offend non english people etc.

I think some might more if it was a public holiday, and why shouldnt it be, scotland and ireland both celebrate theirs. I mean you get far more going on for st patricks day in england than st georges day its crazy.

Also - i dont know what its like now but i dont EVER remember being taught about it and the day in school, thats going back 30 years mind. I bet if you had asked me 20 years ago what date it was on i wouldnt know, but would have been able to tell you st patricks day.

I also think there are those as @Eddie alludes to that take its meaning as being pro english, anti others...which of course its not also, so this may put some people off.

Its not easy just to start celebrating something you have had no incentive to do before, lets make a start and make it a holiday...i think a lot more will start to think about it then.

For me St George's Day is the one day in the year you can actually celebrate being English in England....and what's wrong with that? Why shouldn't we be proud of our heritage in our country...

It's not about being anti others, this is a misconception.

St Patrick's Day is promoted as fun but St George's Day seems to be frowned and looked down upon and barely get's a mention in the PC media.

Yet the numbers who turn out for it gets bigger every year.

Funny that eh? 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, TexasRam said:

I'm guessing if there was a massive contingent of blind drunk clowns in big leprechaun hats with shamrocks all over them then that would be ok as they're just having the craic! 

Haha - maybe the stained tracksuits and baseball caps were a form of fancy dress and they were al being ironic chavs.

I hadn't thought about that. I might do that next year!

It makes perfect sense to me. The English celebrate their patron saint's day by not making an unnecessary fuss, going to work and contributing to the economy. The Irish celebrate their patron saint's day by getting blind drunk.

13 minutes ago, Anon said:

It makes perfect sense to me. The English celebrate their patron saint's day by not making an unnecessary fuss, going to work and contributing to the economy. The Irish celebrate their patron saint's day by getting blind drunk.

And guess who are the happiest...?

I wish the English could celebrate St George's day like St Patrick's is celebrated, could one reason is that it seemed to get hijacked by groups like NF and EDL?

9 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

I wish the English could celebrate St George's day like St Patrick's is celebrated, could one reason is that it seemed to get hijacked by groups like NF and EDL?

Guess which one had to bail the other's economy out of the toilet a few years back?

I hate St Patrick's day, and it's nothing to do with the Irish, because everyone uses it as an excuse to drink to excess. I fail to see what is so great about wearing a daft hat and getting paralytic on a beverage you wouldn't go near on any other day of the year. It's a glorified Guiness marketing event.

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

I suggest you come into Derby on St Georges day and you will see the English celebrate with no sign of the NF or EDL.

6 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I suggest you come into Derby on St Georges day and you will see the English celebrate with no sign of the NF or EDL.

That's good to hear.

I would if I could, however still recovering from St Patrick's Day...

1 hour ago, Anon said:

Guess which one had to bail the other's economy out of the toilet a few years back?

I hate St Patrick's day, and it's nothing to do with the Irish, because everyone uses it as an excuse to drink to excess. I fail to see what is so great about wearing a daft hat and getting paralytic on a beverage you wouldn't go near on any other day of the year. It's a glorified Guiness marketing event.

what a comeback, I am loving the anti-English sentiment in this thread, its very refreshing :ph34r:

23 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

what a comeback, I am loving the anti-English sentiment in this thread, its very refreshing :ph34r:

It's obviously much more complicated than I'm making out. A tanking economy doesn't say anything about the workforce. I'm merely indulging in some of that fabled crack.

1 minute ago, Anon said:

It's obviously much more complicated than I'm making out. A tanking economy doesn't say anything about the workforce. I'm merely indulging in some crack.

no it isn't, they basically went belly up and we decided to increase our foreign aid budget by ploughing billions into Eire, whilst at the same time giving billions into some corrupt federal state to keep other EU Nations like Spain, Greece, Portugal, Italy and France in finery, whilst the NHS, Schooling and infrastructure fall around our ears, does this sound about right?

It makes me laugh just how many Americans celebrate their Irish heritage on St Patricks day. I have been out there on several occasions and it appears that almost all Americans are of Irish decent. Funny thing is not one can tell you where Ireland is. Just goes to show it really doesn't matter, just an excuse to get drunk. (I am all for it)

3 hours ago, Anon said:

An unusual economic theory, we had a property bubble and collapse because of Paddy's Day excesses?  Not something I've heard before. And don't worry about your bailout/loan, you'll make a tidy profit from it. Incidentally, the main permanent transfer of wealth during that period was from the Irish taxpayer to the investors in the failing private banks, wherever they were from, costing about £8,000 per person. How we ended up footing most of the bill I still haven't figured out.

St. Patrick's Day was really a day celebrated more by Irish communities living outside Ireland.

Has it become an excuse for drinking to excess?  Yes it has,

Are Guinness shamelessly marketing the day to the extent that you'd think St. Patrick himself had founded the Guinness brewery?  Yes they are.

Are those leprechaun hats ridiculous?  Undoubtedly, and i hate them.

Even though St. George is an odd choice for national saint, there is no reason St. George's Day can't be good day, infused with non-aggressive patriotism. A day off is always good, you can't spend your whole life worrying about 'economic productivity'. 

3 hours ago, LesterRam said:

no it isn't, they basically went belly up and we decided to increase our foreign aid budget by ploughing billions into Eire, whilst at the same time giving billions into some corrupt federal state to keep other EU Nations like Spain, Greece, Portugal, Italy and France in finery, whilst the NHS, Schooling and infrastructure fall around our ears, does this sound about right?

No, it sounds like a crock of ****.  It was a loan which is being paid back with interest.  Appreciated no doubt, but making it sound like a charitable gift is wildly inaccurate.  

12 minutes ago, Highgate said:

No, it sounds like a crock of ****.  It was a loan which is being paid back with interest.  Appreciated no doubt, but making it sound like a charitable gift is wildly inaccurate.  

yes your right, but how many billions are we losing through tax evasion through Eire, £100bn, £200bn, maybe Google and the ilk can answer that one whilst Eire refuse backdated tax not to upset the slimy little *******, if they can afford to refuse tax from corps they can forget nice little low APR loans, i would prefer us not be a bailout mechanism whilst shatting on this country from a great height thanks, money is scarce and we need to fund social housing, infrastructure and a free higher education system in Scotland :ph34r:, whilst south of the border we saddle our youths with debt, you did ask?

8 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

yes your right, but how many billions are we losing through tax evasion through Eire, £100bn, £200bn, maybe Google and the ilk can answer that one whilst Eire refuse backdated tax not to upset the slimy little *******, if they can afford to refuse tax from corps they can forget nice little low APR loans, i would prefer us not be a bailout mechanism whilst shatting on this country from a great height thanks, money is scarce and we need to fund social housing, infrastructure and a free higher education system in Scotland :ph34r:, whilst south of the border we saddle our youths with debt, you did ask?

Well, i didn't ask actually, but thanks for the forthright opinions nevertheless. Even though corporation tax in Ireland is still very low, the loopholes that allowed them to pay next to nothing are closed now. Nevertheless, the government policy towards multi-nationals is pretty much indefensible, it was and still is to some extent, we'll bend over and let them do what they like as long as we get the jobs here. Not good. The Apple tax money, that we've refused, although possibly legally ours, shouldn't really be ours anyway, it was tax on work done elsewhere merely channeled through Ireland to avoid paying that tax. If we were to take it, we would be open to legal challenges from lots of other countries looking for a slice of it (and they would be right). Still that would be better than Apple being able to keep their claws on it, I suppose.

Anyway presenting a tactical loan (UK hardly wanted a major trading partner to go bust) as a form of charity is not helping clear up the matters, even if you think it was ill-advised. And look on the bright side, you may not have to worry about Scotland for much longer.

On 25/04/2017 at 10:47, McRamFan said:

For your information, everybody out on St George's Day was busy getting drunk lol

And hijacked by the NF and EDL? 

What a load of small minded, reactionary left wing cobblers...

Archived