We're not as good as we look right now, but that's okay

Leicester Ram

This started as a matchday post but became much bigger, and I bloody love attention don't I, so I made it a thread.

Today truly was a perfect day beer/weather/last minute winner wise, absolute unreal time in a cracking city that's largely full of friendly Brummies.

Fantastic work from Carson, who was clear MOTM for all he had to deal with and a superb assist. Saw him considering what to do while Ince egged him on and seeing him place it perfectly between the two defenders and just the right distance form the keeper, to our most composed finisher was orgasmic. Mad celebrations and the loudest rendition of Ince will tear you apart to date.

But when I actually think about our performance and the performance of the manager, it's very mixed.

Attacked really well and tidily in the first half, Butterfield knew what he was doing at CAM and pulled the strings well. Nice movement and passes, all he needed to do to keep us ticking and giving Brum trouble. Can't believe how unlucky the bloke is to have hit the post so many times this season and when he finally does get one in it's only a ******* own goal. 

Bryson was superb throughout, thriving in a role where he chases down without the ball and buzzes around when we have the ball. Plays with the enthusiasm of a schoolboy and the maturity of the pro he is. Can't praise him enough.

So fairly decent showing first half, but a bit susceptible to giving Birmingham undeserved chances. Rowett made the right choice with Butterfield over Vydra. Argument for Anya instead of Russell, but Russell probably did better than Anya did in a very physical game.

Now, I know we're all buzzing at finally witnessing a winner at the right end, but the team and Rowett **** the bed second half.

We held off them and invited pressure on, played around with the ball too deep with our worst on the ball players, Pearce, Olsson, Johnson and arguably Baird way too much. The entire second half basically took place in our half, we gave away so many free kicks for them to put in the box that the pressure was firmly on us. When you give a big team like Birmingham enough opportunities to put it in the box, no matter how useless they are from open play, something will drop for them.

(on a side note, Che Adams can **** right off, scores his first goal since about November from about 2 yards out and starts giving the Derby fans the biggun. You'll be back in league 2 before you know it, ya daft *****)

Partly happened because it looked like Rowett told them to sit deeper and we had some old players who'd played some high intensity games in the past week (Bryson 30, Johnson 29, Nuge 32, Baird old as ****). Everyone looked shattered and we lost the energy that's made us good recently.

For anyone thinking we don't need Martin or a Martin type after tuesdays triumph, well today was a reminder that we can't do that every game in a busy championship schedule, especially with a 32 year old. Could have really done with a striker golfing the ball up in their half and winning free-kicks, because we couldn't get at them in the second half. Nuge does have quality flicks, but he still not got Martin's attitude or football brain. Sometimes you need a cynical forward to get you through tough spots, even if he does look a bit fat to you.

Subs didn't help either. Hughes seemed less involved or knowledgable at CAM than Butterfield, didn't get involved much, Anya got outmuscled constantly and Nugent was left on despite looking like he'd had a big one out in Preston last night. Didn't feel like we were a team in form at all, felt very familiar to a lot of recent games as the corners started to come in with 5 mins left.

BUT, a massive mental victory for this team that we kept them out and had one real moment of quality to grab a winner. Sign of a good team to play badly and still win etc etc

Think Rowett played the game wrong today, we got the win but we were close to losing to a poor Brum team on a poor day for them. He's a manager that seems to have really got the fans backing which does wonders for the health of the club after the past 2 years, but he's not the messiah, he's a messiah in progress. 

As Neville Southall said "if you walked in on Leonardo da Vinci halfway through painting the Mona Lisa you'd think 'that's a bit ****', wouldn't you".

We're not meant to be quality right now, don't trick yourself into thinking that we should be or that we are. Don't expect us to win every game and make the playoffs, because it won't happen.

But do get excited about the changes Rowett's going to bring about with Mel's backing, because (and I say this despite being a notorious McClarenite) he's the best man for this club right now.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, just like when the Mac run was underway people shift the expectation up. Then all that has to happen is a bad run and suddenly the manager isn't up to standard (the bloody standard he set himself!!)

All this talk about play offs... it's nice to see people happy but this is where they set the bar. As with Mac, if Rowett gives a hint of making the play offs then he's stating that we are at that level when maybe we aren't. 

Rowett will have a bad run. It will happen. 

And then all those that ignored Mac's rise up the league and demanded a play off place will be out in force again looking for the next messiah. 

Rowett seems sound. There's things I like about his game but there's also things that haven't been good. But the general flow seems to be a manager is either super awesome great or a clueless donkey clown.

Drama Queens. Jumping to extremes. Shouldn't even worry about the play offs. Should be looking at the state of the team. 

We didn't just go from non league donkeys to European Champions when the first half kicked off at the City Ground. 

27 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

This started as a matchday post but became much bigger, and I bloody love attention don't I, so I made it a thread.

Today truly was a perfect day beer/weather/last minute winner wise, absolute unreal time in a cracking city that's largely full of friendly Brummies.

Fantastic work from Carson, who was clear MOTM for all he had to deal with and a superb assist. Saw him considering what to do while Ince egged him on and seeing him place it perfectly between the two defenders and just the right distance form the keeper, to our most composed finisher was orgasmic. Mad celebrations and the loudest rendition of Ince will tear you apart to date.

But when I actually think about our performance and the performance of the manager, it's very mixed.

Attacked really well and tidily in the first half, Butterfield knew what he was doing at CAM and pulled the strings well. Nice movement and passes, all he needed to do to keep us ticking and giving Brum trouble. Can't believe how unlucky the bloke is to have hit the post so many times this season and when he finally does get one in it's only a ******* own goal. 

Bryson was superb throughout, thriving in a role where he chases down without the ball and buzzes around when we have the ball. Plays with the enthusiasm of a schoolboy and the maturity of the pro he is. Can't praise him enough.

So fairly decent showing first half, but a bit susceptible to giving Birmingham undeserved chances. Rowett made the right choice with Butterfield over Vydra. Argument for Anya instead of Russell, but Russell probably did better than Anya did in a very physical game.

Now, I know we're all buzzing at finally witnessing a winner at the right end, but the team and Rowett **** the bed second half.

We held off them and invited pressure on, played around with the ball too deep with our worst on the ball players, Pearce, Olsson, Johnson and arguably Baird way too much. The entire second half basically took place in our half, we gave away so many free kicks for them to put in the box that the pressure was firmly on us. When you give a big team like Birmingham enough opportunities to put it in the box, no matter how useless they are from open play, something will drop for them.

(on a side note, Che Adams can **** right off, scores his first goal since about November from about 2 yards out and starts giving the Derby fans the biggun. You'll be back in league 2 before you know it, ya daft *****)

Partly happened because it looked like Rowett told them to sit deeper and we had some old players who'd played some high intensity games in the past week (Bryson 30, Johnson 29, Nuge 32, Baird old as ****). Everyone looked shattered and we lost the energy that's made us good recently.

For anyone thinking we don't need Martin or a Martin type after tuesdays triumph, well today was a reminder that we can't do that every game in a busy championship schedule, especially with a 32 year old. Could have really done with a striker golfing the ball up in their half and winning free-kicks, because we couldn't get at them in the second half. Nuge does have quality flicks, but he still not got Martin's attitude or football brain. Sometimes you need a cynical forward to get you through tough spots, even if he does look a bit fat to you.

Subs didn't help either. Hughes seemed less involved or knowledgable at CAM than Butterfield, didn't get involved much, Anya got outmuscled constantly and Nugent was left on despite looking like he'd had a big one out in Preston last night. Didn't feel like we were a team in form at all, felt very familiar to a lot of recent games as the corners started to come in with 5 mins left.

BUT, a massive mental victory for this team that we kept them out and had one real moment of quality to grab a winner. Sign of a good team to play badly and still win etc etc

Think Rowett played the game wrong today, we got the win but we were close to losing to a poor Brum team on a poor day for them. He's a manager that seems to have really got the fans backing which does wonders for the health of the club after the past 2 years, but he's not the messiah, he's a messiah in progress. 

As Neville Southall said "if you walked in on Leonardo da Vinci halfway through painting the Mona Lisa you'd think 'that's a bit ****', wouldn't you".

We're not meant to be quality right now, don't trick yourself into thinking that we should be or that we are. Don't expect us to win every game and make the playoffs, because it won't happen.

But do get excited about the changes Rowett's going to bring about with Mel's backing, because (and I say this despite being a notorious McClarenite) he's the best man for this club right now.

love this...perfect assessment in my opinion.

26 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

What a cracking post. I listened to the radio and was increasingly nervous that we'd turned in to a Mac team on an off day. You could hear the good bits but knew only too well the bad bits. For once we got the breaks and the rub of the green.

the difference is I honestly think GR can see it and is formulating what is necessary to move us up a step. 

I'd hope we will do more 4/2/3/1 and can't quite understand and how he is going to graft Will's ability in to his grand plan but I have faith in this guy who,is such a straight talker and clearly a genuine observer and intelligent student of our group of players.

That's what I'm worried about too under McLaren we did play bad but picked up results in a number of games. You felt that we'll run out of luck sooner or later.

Kind of the same now I do feel we need to handle our expectation of these results and see if anything needs tweeking.

it was a bit **** when it was finished to be fair.

Could have really done with a striker golfing the ball up in their half and winning free-kicks,

someone who could putter it into the back of the net?

We just need to sort out the on the field personnel, they haven't performed right under 3 different managers. All change this summer. The right blend of abilities and mentality just isn't there, wasted too much money on players that don't fit what we want to do.

All as I saw it mainly, the subs didn't give us anything extra in reality, Hughes was looking to pass the ball but at that point nobody was moving, Anya was simply running ten yards away from Olson but not near the ball like Olson and Bent was basically on to try and head the ball away from our box, for a nice change we stole a win and as rowett said Johnson would have been subbed due to his inability to control and pass the football but he simply has to be on the pitch due to his ability to head the ball ( side effect of not having Hendrick or Thorne in midfield )

I guess this entire thread is for the people who bought their first season tickets off the back of the Wembley run???  Most of the level headed people on here will have been thinking exactly the same.  I'm not sure how anybody will think we're the finished article after 4 games of GR's reign.  I think a lot of fan's positivity is coming from the fact GR appears to be flexible in his approach, where as Pearson & Schteve were one trick ponies...

3 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I guess this entire thread is for the people who bought their first season tickets off the back of the Wembley run???  Most of the level headed people on here will have been thinking exactly the same.  I'm not sure how anybody will think we're the finished article after 4 games of GR's reign.  I think a lot of fan's positivity is coming from the fact GR appears to be flexible in his approach, where as Pearson & Schteve were one trick ponies...

How the hell can you accurately assess how flexible a manger is after 4 games?

He's already changed formations twice, which is more than Schteve & Big Nige managed in a lot more games.  Plus GR has stated that he isn't afraid to use different formations, for different scenarios.  Again, you never heard the previous two managers say that...

47 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

He's already changed formations twice, which is more than Schteve & Big Nige managed in a lot more games.  Plus GR has stated that he isn't afraid to use different formations, for different scenarios.  Again, you never heard the previous two managers say that...

Lets hope he can find one that works well to switch from.

Archived