Brentford v Derby County

Mafiabob

Just watched the SKY highlights. Ouch!!! That hurt but some of the post-match reaction on here borders on the infantile.

This season is over so it will be interesting to see the team Rowett sends out against Huddersfield - we may well get some clues as to who might not be here next season. One thing's for sure (God willing) - I will be and we go again in August.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I'm not asking you to. I'm wondering why this morning some thought we were capable of making the play offs if we're so useless

I suppose that's because of the effort put in to beat Fulham and Birmingham, then lack of it today.GR must know what the players are like,living in derby he must have been to some home games since he left Birmingham.

20 minutes ago, DerbyMark said:

What do you mean by that?

I said the play off's had gone after Cardiff and got slaughtered for it...

But the fans have hope, otherwise they wouldn't go.

You know better than the rest of us then?

I don't understand. My question is pretty simple. Why would you hope to finish in the top 6 with a team you rate as gutless and poor?

You said ask the players.

How can they answer that question?

Me? I know where we are as a club. I knew that Mac dug us out the bottom of the Championship and I knew Gary Rowett was unlikely to come in with a miracle fix.

We've performed like a midtable side all season. Capable of winning 4-0 against Preston and losing 4-0 to Barnsley. 

I think quite a few people know where we are as a team.

My question is to those that think we're awesome after a win and clueless after a loss

3 minutes ago, swiftur said:

I suppose that's because of the effort put in to beat Fulham and Birmingham, then lack of it today.GR must know what the players are like,living in derby he must have been to some home games since he left Birmingham.

What lack of effort? Seems Derby were beaten by the better side today. It happens.

Or do you really think the players purposely didnt try?

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

What lack of effort? Seems Derby were beaten by the better side today. It happens.

Cant compare effort against Fulham [brilliant] to Brentford[lethargic at best]

PistoldPete2
1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

There is a mental fragility about this squad that causes them to fold at the first sign of resistance. If I was manager after a result like that I would not so much give them the hairdryer treatment, more like the blow torch treatment, coz that's what they need. Completely unacceptable to not show up in a game like this when we still had a slim chance of getting into the playoffs. 

Like the brighton performance , this is the kind of no-show that causes deep ructions, and we can't possibly blame the manager this time. 

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Some people think that every time we get beat.

Yeah makes sense though. I mean, I bet that Richard Keogh would hate to see his wages jump up by 35% as a result of promotion. I bet he would hate to be able to provide his family with more security and his kids a better future.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Yeah makes sense though. I mean, I bet that Richard Keogh would hate to see his wages jump up by 35% as a result of promotion. I bet he would hate to be able to provide his family with more security and his kids a better future.

Keogh only plays for Derby to troll Derby fans with his on purpose letting goals in because he once read the thread about him on here <allegedly>

8 minutes ago, jono said:

I wasn't there and am a half fan but on the basis of radio Derby commentary this sounded very like the Brum game. I am curious as to why, when 433 lacked an edge, we did the same again today ? 

My guess is that Gary had an idea that 433 with the extra midfielder might be his preferred away set up. On this evidence it doesn't work ! Which brings me back to what we have been missing and that is a commanding midfielder, or alternatively a set up that puts the opposition on the back foot. 4/2/3/1

433 with the current players isn't effective. Might be different with George or CM ( conducting and holding respectively ) but the 4/2/3/1 with this group has looked much more fluid both at the end of Mac2 and the beginning of Gary. 

That however doesn't excuse the way heads dropped and fight seemed to be missing in certain quarters. Anyway .. Not worried one little bit .. This is experimentation and learning .. It's a harsh, early pre season assessment of what we can do to get better. 

I agree with most of this  Against Fulham changing to the 4 4 3 stopped them coming through the midfield so it seemed sensible to play it at Birmingham and largely it worked. Even when we were under pressure we looked dangerous every time we broke.

Today the 3 just couldn't cope with Brentford's fluid passing and we didn't look at all dangerous on the break so the pressure was straight back on.

I do think Will made a difference at the beginning of the second half but we weren't clinical enough at that time or it might have been a different game. Partly due to Bent instead of Nugent, who had to go off injured. In retrospect Vydra might have been the better choice but he did little when he did come on. Heads had already dropped by then.

Once Brentford realised we were pretty toothless when we did attack they started to come back at us. As we were pushing up that gave them even more room to play in and they took good advantage. I can't believe that a 4 2 3 1 would have made much difference today. They were much better than us.

Agree about the need for a more commanding midfielder as none of those on the pitch did enough for me today. If the defence looks like it wasn't trying (and I haven't seen the lowlights yet as still travelling home) then maybe it was partly due to being angry about the lack of protection it got from higher up the pitch.

2 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

There is a mental fragility about this squad that causes them to fold at the first sign of resistance. If I was manager after a result like that I would not so much give them the hairdryer treatment, more like the blow torch treatment, coz that's what they need. Completely unacceptable to not show up in a game like this when we still had a slim chance of getting into the playoffs. 

Like the brighton performance , this is the kind of no-show that causes deep ructions, and we can't possibly blame the manager this time. 

Not really anything to do with this game, but I love that the Brighton performance is being held up as an example of our players folding under pressure. "Oh no! We got turned over away from home by the best team in the league. This is unacceptable for a mid table team like ourselves. Sack the manager immediately!"

7 minutes ago, swiftur said:

Don't get this "lack of effort" comment every time we lose. There's a dozen reasons why teams get beaten - lack of concentration, individual mistakes, poor decision-making, wrong selection or, surprise, surprise, on the day the opposition is just better etc etc.

To write it off as a lack of effort shows a complete ignorance of what's involved in professional football at such a high level.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

If the defence looks like it wasn't trying (and I haven't seen the lowlights yet as still travelling home) then maybe it was partly due to being angry about the lack of protection it got from higher up the pitch.

Agreed

29 minutes ago, Anon said:

Hope is fine, if people are mature enough to manage their expectations and deal with disappointment like adults. I've just about had my fill with spoiled reactionary "fans" who greet every defeat as if the sky has just fallen on their heads and start demanding that every player is sold. I'm honestly at the point where I wouldn't mind a few seasons of mid table mediocrity just to get these people to **** off and leave us in peace and quiet until the next time it looks like we might get promoted.

Yeah I get that lol

Only been going for 47 years since the age of seven...

How long you been going? 

Anon.....no wonder!

10 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

What he might WANT and what he's able to DO are obviously two different things.

Just now, DerbyMark said:

Yeah I get that lol

Only been going for 47 years since the age of seven...

How long you been going? 

Anon.....no wonder!

Truth be told, I don't really like football. I only post on here because I like annoying people on internet forums.

I was there today today

The passing and movement of the Brentford players was a world away from our stodgy pass and hold , but all the  players tried . 

Defensively Olson had two smart players to mark without the football brain to work it out with Russell. 

Hughes made  a difference, he made time to shake his markers and play the ball into forward positions, he looked up for it and must play to raise the quality of the team .

Ince looked like he'd met his match with the left back and couldn't get past him, this became  the pattern for holding and passing backwards after a few tries.

First ever match for my son , what a disappointment. I wanted him to have something to cheer for and remember , jeepers he got that. 

Centre mid, right mid, ginger mid, left mid, centre forward all looked stylish brainy footballers , all on the home side. Ginger we should buy, dreadlocked mid also, pass and move all day

Hoping for better days next year 

20 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I don't understand. My question is pretty simple. Why would you hope to finish in the top 6 with a team you rate as gutless and poor?

You said ask the players.

How can they answer that question?

Me? I know where we are as a club. I knew that Mac dug us out the bottom of the Championship and I knew Gary Rowett was unlikely to come in with a miracle fix.

We've performed like a midtable side all season. Capable of winning 4-0 against Preston and losing 4-0 to Barnsley. 

I think quite a few people know where we are as a team.

My question is to those that think we're awesome after a win and clueless after a loss

Natural reaction.... same as fans of every club.

Doubt even Brentford fans would be happy about losing 4-0!

Archived