EFL increase minimum homegrown players to 7

Day

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

good,ive always liked the fact that derby can boast so many british players compared to some other competitors...

its the way to go if we want our international sides to flourish..

i presume there are no such rules in force for the premier league?

The reason why English players are worth so much in the Premier League is for this very reason. They have the same system - 7 or 8 homegrown players in the squad I believe, which pushes the price up of the ones that are even remotely talented. Foreign managers who come here are always complaining at the price of English players.

EDIT: Link here - https://www.premierleague.com/news/84136

10 minutes ago, GenBr said:

The reason why English players are worth so much in the Premier League is for this very reason. They have the same system - 7 or 8 homegrown players in the squad I believe, which pushes the price up of the ones that are even remotely talented. Foreign managers who come here are always complaining at the price of English players.

Ironically there'd probably be more Englishmen had the rule not existed in the Premier League! 

44 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It will be interesting in a couple of years time to see if Brexit changes the rules on EU nationals. Presumably they will then switch to the same work permit terms as players from the rest of the world?

Maybe.  

You can be confident the Premier League is currently spending millions with Lobbying companies, with the aim of influencing the government to ensure football is made an 'exceptional case' and don't have to get work permits.

I don't think it's a bad thing, one watch of Soccer Saturday shows that even in the lower leagues there are a hell of a lot of foreign players in the English game.

I'm all for allowing the best talent in the English game, but when teams have 3rd choice foreign goalkeepers, like we do, maybe it's time to rethink things.

4 hours ago, Andicis said:

What are the exact specifications for homegrown? How long do they have to be at an academy? 

4 hours ago, lrm14 said:

Three years at an English team before the player is 21.

I think it's three years between 12-21 to be exact

8 hours ago, GenBr said:

Ah...so the value of the Academy increases as well then?

We could be struggling to comply.....

carson - english

christie - irish republic

olsson - swedish

keogh - horse

pearce - donkey

johnson- one quarter african american

hughes - albinian

bryson - scottish independence party

russell - ditto

martin - ditto

ince - english 

we could end up having to pack the bench.

Elsnik will be classed as homegrown in 2018, we signed him in the summer of 2015 so he won't count until the season after next. He'll still play next season, mind.

Emil Riis Jakobsen was signed at the same time, and I think by 2018 he'll be pushing the first team too. 

It seems this rule is one extra player, on top of the 6 currently, must be a club produced player, not just home grown.

The player must have spent a full year in the academy prior to U19's level, and if clubs are unable to produce this a sub spot will be taken away on matchday, leaving 6 on the bench, not 7.

Seems the extra one player isn't just homegrown, but has to be club-developed. (At least one year at the club before the end of his under-19 season)

Elsnik would meet these requirements immediately (as would Will Hughes and a number of others).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39517843

Although maybe this is on top of the homegrown player expansion. 

Archived