David Moyes Slap

Day

David Moyes was forced to issue an apology to a Match of the Dayreporter after warning she might get a “slap” even though she is "a woman".

Vicki Sparks was speaking to the Sunderland manager on BBC after the Black Cats' 0-0 Premier League draw at home to Burnley last month.

But audio footage has since emerged of the former Manchester Unitedmanager telling Sparks to “be careful” after the BBC journalist asked whether Moyes was feeling the pressure of owner Ellis Short watching from the stands.

After the official interview finished, 53-year-old Moyes says to Sparks: “It was getting a wee bit naughty at the end there so just watch yourself. You still might get a slap even though you’re a woman.”

He bluntly added: “Careful the next time you come in.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/david-moyes-bbc-slap-storm-10147335

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, David said:

David Moyes was forced to issue an apology to a Match of the Dayreporter after warning she might get a “slap” even though she is "a woman".

Vicki Sparks was speaking to the Sunderland manager on BBC after the Black Cats' 0-0 Premier League draw at home to Burnley last month.

But audio footage has since emerged of the former Manchester Unitedmanager telling Sparks to “be careful” after the BBC journalist asked whether Moyes was feeling the pressure of owner Ellis Short watching from the stands.

After the official interview finished, 53-year-old Moyes says to Sparks: “It was getting a wee bit naughty at the end there so just watch yourself. You still might get a slap even though you’re a woman.”

He bluntly added: “Careful the next time you come in.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/david-moyes-bbc-slap-storm-10147335

Well done Moyes. Hopefully the FA will reward him for his progressive stance on equality. He would've threatened to slap a male reporter, so why shouldn't he threaten a woman in the same circumstances?

I can't hear anything on the Mirror's recording, but surely this was said in jest.

17 minutes ago, Anon said:

Well done Moyes. Hopefully the FA will reward him for his progressive stance on equality. He would've threatened to slap a male reporter, so why shouldn't he threaten a woman in the same circumstances?

I can't hear anything on the Mirror's recording, but surely this was said in jest.

yeah I was messing around with my volume control, I even reloaded the drivers, ten minutes I wont get back..

21 minutes ago, Anon said:

Finally found a video with audio, sounds like it was in jest and the media going nuts with it for a story, not even worth a topic now.

Sith Happens

Seriously pathetic what people will jump on, its clearly in jest and everyone is taking in good heart.

57 minutes ago, David said:

Finally found a video with audio, sounds like it was in jest and the media going nuts with it for a story, not even worth a topic now.

On the contrary. It is all the more important that we talk about it to highlight what a lying shower of ***** certain sections of the media are. The very worst thing about this is incidents like this will hurt female sports reporters by discouraging managers from speaking candidly to them if they are to be hauled over the coals for something obviously meant as a joke.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think we know he shouldn't have said it, even in jest. He's apologized.

Also, given our media, if he'd said that to a male journalist "Moyes threatens X with violence" could just as easy blow up.

Let's move on.

Why shouldn't he have said it? 

Just read about the incident on Sky Sports News, in which he and the female journalist 'were laughing at the time and Ms Sparks did not make a complaint, but Moyes said he later phoned her to apologise.'

Obviously I wasn't there but if SSN is to be believed it just sounds like a laugh between two people that know each other.  Maybe I'm getting old now-a-days but the PC brigade want to remove context from every conversation and sanitize everything we say or do.  

If no complaint was made, what is there to investigate?

He shouldn't have said it for any number of reasons, unprofessional, bad taste,  implicit threat, sexist. That's my opinion. But then, I personally feel strongly about violence against women.

You're welcome to yours, I correct my "everyone" statement to "probably the majority of us"

I'm not saying he couldn't have quite candidly told the journalist shed gone to far, I don't agree with the language he chose. He has apologized.

2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Just read about the incident on Sky Sports News, in which he and the female journalist 'were laughing at the time and Ms Sparks did not make a complaint, but Moyes said he later phoned her to apologise.'

Obviously I wasn't there but if SSN is to be believed it just sounds like a laugh between two people that know each other.  Maybe I'm getting old now-a-days but the PC brigade want to remove context from every conversation and sanitize everything we say or do.  

If no complaint was made, what is there to investigate?

In this instance most journalists know exactly what they're doing and deliberately don't report the context of the remark as they know all too well that with context there is absolutely nothing worth reporting on. I do agree, however, that there is a growing group of people that either can't comprehend or deliberately refuse to acknowledge that context can drastically alter language. They have their list of good words and naughty words and never the twain shall meet. Dogs have a more nuanced understanding of our language than these utter cretins.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

He shouldn't have said it for any number of reasons, unprofessional, bad taste,  implicit threat, sexist. That's my opinion. But then, I personally feel strongly about violence against women.

You're welcome to yours, I correct my "everyone" statement to "probably the majority of us"

I'm not saying he couldn't have quite candidly told the journalist shed gone to far, I don't agree with the language he chose. He has apologized.

I dont see a difference between violence to men or women, both are wrong on equal levels.

I also dont feel he has really done anything wrong here, no need to apologise, i would bet the journalist was embarrased he called her to apologise. Mountain out of a mole hill cause by people with too much time on their hands, and too eager to judge,

56 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

What's said is between him and her. As long as she doesn't have a problem with it and he carries on despite her having a problem with it I don't care. What I do care about are media witch hunts and the PC brigade moralising about other people's interactions.

Why is it unprofessional to have a laugh and a joke?

Bad taste is subjective, if Moyes and the journalist don't think it's bad taste that is all that matters.

It's only an implicit threat if you remove the context. 

Why is it sexist?

He might not have said that to a male journalist I don't know. But I quite often get told jokingly by certain female colleagues they'll give me a slap or put me over their knee and I know they don't say that to other women. It never occurred to me that this was sexism. The fact is, people talk to memebers of the opposite sex differently.

Anyway, Gary Lineker disagrees with me and he's always wrong about everything.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

What's said is between him and her. As long as she doesn't have a problem with it and he carries on despite her having a problem with it I don't care. What I do care about are media witch hunts and the PC brigade moralising about other people's interactions.

Why is it unprofessional to have a laugh and a joke?

Bad taste is subjective, if Moyes and the journalist don't think it's bad taste that is all that matters.

It's only an implicit threat if you remove the context. 

Why is it sexist?

He might not have said that to a male journalist I don't know. But I quite often get told jokingly by certain female colleagues they'll give me a slap or put me over their knee and I know they don't say that to other women. It never occurred to me that this was sexism. The fact is, people talk to memebers of the opposite sex differently.

Anyway, Gary Lineker disagrees with me and he's always wrong about everything.

If the video had showed him snarling and pointing at her and it was said differently totally different...but it wasnt.

Its got nothing to do with lineker or anyone to be honest.

I bet there was more sexism and so called threats multiple times over in half an hour of Mrs Browns boys on Saturday...i dont suppose there have been that many complaints about that because its done with humour, just as this incident was.

The woman made no complaint and he phoned later to apologise. Sounded non-threatening to me. End of. 

Disaster for Sunderland media team though. They would far rather we were focusing on how flat out *** they are and how they are going down. Moyles was probably semi-delirious that they had got a point against Burnley and was a bit unguarded.

Archived