When do you give up on the playoffs?

Chester40

Just me finding myself slyly looking at permutations...other teams fixtures.. thinking would I rather Forest beat or lose to a rival..

Is that mad? 

Or is it only when it's mathematically gone? What about if we beat Fulham..game on?? ...or get a good hiding - is it over then?? 

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think it was a few weeks ago after bristol or Blackburn was it I gave up.

Theres very little chance we can make up the points on teams in front - it isn't just one team but quite a few. Think we would need 6 wins now and that would probably just take it to the last day. Think there's almost zero chance :( but next season fingers crossed

12 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Just me finding myself slyly looking at permutations...other teams fixtures.. thinking would I rather Forest beat or lose to a rival..

Is that mad? 

Or is it only when it's mathematically gone? What about if we beat Fulham..game on?? ...or get a good hiding - is it over then?? 

I'm still hoping for an automatic spot 

:thumbsup:

I've already given up, it's a big ask for us to win every game and have a team that's been up there all season to have a monumental....well, us a couple of seasons back, type of collapse.

Surprisingly, I haven't got the hump about it on reflection, it's been a turbulent season, a top 10 finish wouldn't be that bad considering. I'll rue all the late goals we've conceded and cost us wins at some point but that's the wacky world of DCFC, we rarely make things easy for ourselves but we'll go again next season in the hope Rowett's the man to sort us out.

Just can't see it, if we're looking at taking 6th you have 4 clubs above us and 8pts difference.

Last 7 games form

Fulham W3 D3 L1 Pts 12

Sheff Wed - W1 D2 L4 Pts 7

Preston - W2 D3 L2 Pts 9

Norwich - W1 D3 L3 Pts 6

We need to hope they all continue the same form and Derby win all their remaining games just to scrape in. One of those 4 will turn it around and with the points advantage will see them through.

PistoldPete2

On Tuesday I expect. Cant see us beating Fulham who are 8 points clear of us. We need to beat them , and the wendies too.  And probably nearly all our remaining games too. 

37 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Or is it only when it's mathematically gone?

Yep.

Surely last season taught football fans (and players) that anything is possible - the players have to believe and I don't think some of ours do.

One plus point, we have games against Fulham and "every football chant is our copyright" Wednesday.

Fail to get three points v Fulham and slim hopes become none.

Its pretty slim now, slim enough to say there's no pressure or expectation to make it. Just no quite dead certainty yet. I look at this as a bonus little bit of incentive over the next few as opposed to let's see what rowett is looking for next season / playing out the remaining fixtures for nothing.

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I look at this as a bonus little bit of incentive over the next few as opposed to let's see what rowett is looking for next season / playing out the remaining fixtures for nothing.

I think Rowett is looking for a real attempt at 7 wins, he'll want to see what the players have to give, there's everything for them to play for.

Fulham have a tough run on paper, Sheff Weds too.

Fulham play us, Ipswich and then Norwich. (I expect them to get 4 points)

Wednesday play Rotherham, Newcastle and Cardiff. (I expect 4 points also)

We have Fulham, Brum, Brentford. (9 points is a must)

If that is how it goes, we would go to 65 points, 3 points behind Wednesday and 4 behind Fulham.

With 4 games to go and a game against Sheff Weds still to play.

WE CAN DO IT!!!!!

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think Rowett is looking for a real attempt at 7 wins, he'll want to see what the players have to give, there's everything for them to play for.

If that's what rowett is looking for great. Rowett has the job of trying to do that and if we finish the season strong, then that's fantastic.

Doesn't change my view on it being a bonus that the glimmer that is there is there at all after "February"....

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Is that mad? 

Think if we beat them it is on, lose and I think it's over. 

Nobody seems to want 6th spot

Part of me is thinking it's crazy to even consider it...

Then a still fairly rational other part thinks..Well we (have to) beat Fulham (they need the points so will be an open game) and Sheff W (struggling at moment ).

We only need them to slip up once more (which will doubtless happen) and it will go to the last day when anything can happen. So we just need to play to our potential and its not totally unfeasible...

Till we go behind in first 10mins to Fulham!! Then it looks again like a crazy (crack) pipe dream.

Archived