Rio Ferdinand

Coneheadjohn

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what anyone else thought, but i didn't get the impression he'd accepted it himself, even at the end.

He seemed to have picked up and implemented ideas to help the kids, but remained shut himself, poor fella.

13 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I don't know what anyone else thought, but i didn't get the impression he'd accepted it himself, even at the end.

He seemed to have picked up and implemented ideas to help the kids, but remained shut himself, poor fella.

Only saw about 10 mins near the end but that was my understanding of the situation. How you accept such a situation I can't begin to comprehend.

People throw all this crap and abuse at footballers yet take for granted that they have the same fragility as the rest of us. An assumption that money takes away the human side. Watching that tonight was painful and it certainly altered my opinion of Rio, you hope he comes to terms with it soon for his and the kids sake.

10 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I would agree with that.

When people were telling him that his wife would want him to move on with his life he agreed but felt like he didn't mean it.

One of those programmes where I wanted to help all those blokes but felt helpless.

I did learn some bits though.

13 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Money is no insulator in those circumstances, that's for sure.

It's not but it must easier.

Don't get me wrong I have a lot of sympathy for Ferdinand but there's many going through the same situation that have had to put careers on hold, sell homes, live off government hand outs to survive. 

Not having financial worries would lift some weight of his shoulders.

7 minutes ago, David said:

Don't get me wrong I have a lot of sympathy for Ferdinand but there's many going through the same situation that have had to put careers on hold, sell homes, live off government hand outs to survive. 

I was thinking the same thing. I’m not sure it “easier” is the right word – it just makes it different, and as you say means one less thing to worry about. But it’s a double-edged sword

Having the money to pay for extra help can only  make the guilt  worse, plus you also have the temptation to take your mind of the pain with other stuff, be it drugs, drink, whores, gambling etc etc

None of which helps

Just now, StivePesley said:

I was thinking the same thing. I’m not sure it “easier” is the right word – it just makes it different, and as you say means one less thing to worry about. But it’s a double-edged sword

Having the money to pay for extra help can only  make the guilt  worse, plus you also have the temptation to take your mind of the pain with other stuff, be it drugs, drink, whores, gambling etc etc

None of which helps

Easier in terms of no money worries that's all, won't make a difference to the emotional side of losing a partner and your children's mum.

He can concentrate on being a Dad, children wanting for nothing without the worry of where his next payday is coming from.

Obviously like you say it can swing the other way, hire a nanny and live the celebrity lifestyle to blank out the loss. 

34 minutes ago, David said:

I was referring to the emotional side of it really, but i take your point.

26 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

None of which helps

TBH the cynic in me did think that he's got it slightly easier in the fact that he's financially comfortable, and can work to distract him from the situation.  A lot of people don't have that luxury.  Saying all that, he has gone up in my estimation, and fair play for highlighting men's difficulty in reaching out for help.

I really felt for the chap who lost his wife, and new partner's baby on the same day, a few years apart.  How something like that doesn't kill you I don't know...

Money takes away the worry of bills,child care etc. I wouldn't  like to think how I would cope. It was like Ferdinand  said about the washing machine.  He never used it probably  like most of us. It took a lot of courage to make the programme. Hope Rio and anybody else in the same situation get all the help that they need. So sad.

Archived