Vydra

Jimbo Ram

On 19/03/2017 at 14:56, BobbyD said:

Thing is, everyone has been saying this for months - fans, commentators, players, onlookers , the lot

Why is it that it took until losing away at Forest and a new manager to put this thinking into place. 

Its one of those situations that reinforces supporters view that sometimes they really do know better than the management.

Can one of the more technically knowledgeable,football posters (Alpha, Bris ) explain why previous managers have not played him in this position but preferred to stick him out wide  ?

Because the managers see what he is capable of on a day to say basis? 

I am guessing that they don't just turn up on a Saturday morning and stick him out wide without having tried it in training.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he is going to come good. He's talented. Leaving out the "run of games" stuff, the fee and those who like him or those who don't. .... The only thing I see negatively is that he isn't that good defensively .. Almost looks frightened and stands off his man .. But heck .. He's a striker .. Maybe better that than clumsy card wining none tackles :o

go on Vyds .. Get us hatful next time out. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have quite some humble pie to be eaten over Vydra. I had written him off, I saw his performance at Leicester and just assumed from that point that there was no coming back for him.

He's totally proven me wrong, and I'm delighted he has! This 4-2-3-1 formation Derby are playing really suits him, he plays very intelligently in the little pockets of space, and looked dangerous every time he had the ball. He seemed to link very well with Nugent and they appeared to know where the other would be. One such example was the break away in which Vydra spun away from their defence and ran at their back four, he played a lovely ball through to Nugent who was unfortunately offside. Since my criticisms of Vydra he appears to run more, come for the ball more often and look a vastly better player. Perhaps my criticisms should have been leveled at the management of Vydra, not the actual player.

Now looking at the player we have who's on 24 and has his best years ahead I'm looking at it with very positively. I think he should be able to link up well with Martin, and I hope that they can have a blossoming partnership next season.

3 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Actually I started the Vydra and Nugent thread....although clearly most of us thought it, apart from Mac.

Or I said ages ago that he need a goal and it'd kick on from there. ? 

I have been plugging vydra virtually all season. I didn't get the criticism. Most of it seemed unfounded and many seemed oblivious to his potential.

however nugent has surprised me.

i didn't like his performance at leicester,.....all smiles and waves. However he is now producing a masterclass. his link up play is very good - just what we have missed without CM - and vydra can thrive off that. As soon as bent comes on we look a bit naff again. Its ironic that schteve paired bent with nugent when the answer was nugent with vydra.

Nugent actually deserves as much credit as vydra.

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

A bit flip flopping over Vydra on here. He was alright and scored a poachers goal, a younger Bent.

Interesting how people see the game differently. I thought he was unlucky not to be man of the match, even if he hadn't scored. Some beautiful first time passes, great movement, and when he gets the ball It really sticks to his feet.

12 minutes ago, ck- said:

Interesting how people see the game differently. I thought he was unlucky not to be man of the match, even if he hadn't scored. Some beautiful first time passes, great movement, and when he gets the ball It really sticks to his feet.

Particularly liked his airshot on the edge of the box. He was okay, can't say fairer than that.

20 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

Would you make that comment if Chris Martin had an 'airshot'? I doubt it.

Chris Martin isn't the player being commented on. And yes I would. All this Vydra was amazing stuff is silly, he had a decent game and scored a goal that Bent/Nugent/Ince/Martin could have popped in. As I said flip-flopping comments about him.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Chris Martin isn't the player being commented on. And yes I would. All this Vydra was amazing stuff is silly, he had a decent game and scored a goal that Bent/Nugent/Ince/Martin could have popped in. As I said flip-flopping comments about him.

I'm glad you omitted JR from that list to give it some credibility. 

Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I though Vydra showed touches of pure class tonight.

There were a few touches/passes in the first half that were brill, depending on where you were in the stadium you may have missed them.

Vydra is a quality player on his day.

One that sticks out is when he had his back to their goal, roughly on half way, with two up his arse and he spun them both, pure class

Archived