Brian Tevreden

Animal is a Ram

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/03/13/por-readings-tevreden-targeted-by-derby/

Reading technical director Brian Tevreden is in the frame for a role in the new management structure at Derby County, HITC Sport understands from sources close to the club.

Derby are looking for a new management team after head coach Steve McClaren, assistant coach Chris Powell and technical director Chris Evans were axed on Sunday.

McClaren was reappointed by Derby in October 17 months after he was sacked and he brought Evans back with him in the role of technical director.

Evans' departure along with McClaren has left the club with a void to fill and Dutchman Tevreden has emerged on Derby's radar after impressing in a similar role at Reading.

The 35-year-old has been at Reading for just over a year, initially as head of international football and development, but was soon promoted to technical director on a temporary basis after Nick Hammond’s departure to West Brom.

Tevreden was given the role as technical director on a permanent basis and he has made a huge impression at the Madejski Stadium.

Tevreden played a key role in the appointment of Jaap Stam as manager and he has helped the club unearth some gems in the transfer market with the likes of Liam Moore, also developing the club's academy.

Reading are currently fifth in the Championship and well-placed for a play-off spot and much of Reading's success this season is put down to the growing influence of former Ajax coach Tevreden at the Madejski Stadium.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting development. It seems to me that Mel now understands we need a gigantic overhaul of the squad this summer and so wants the right scouting network and manager in place to hit the ground running as soon as this season has finished. He couldn't have had faith with McClaren and Evans in the transfer market.

Reading fan here, in peace. A bit of insight into the bloke, if you don't know him...

He's a big reason why we are overachieving this season, on the whole, his recruitment has been great - Liam Moore (POTS by a mile), Roy Beerens, John Swift, Joey Van Den Berg, and Tyler Blackett have been very influential signings.

There have been a couple that haven't worked, and the January loan signings have left a little to be desired at the moment, but our squad needed a massive overhaul after last season and he's done that - and Stam has taken them up to 5th. 

Seems like a nice bloke too. I'd be gutted if we lost him, and also a little surprised given he seemed very committed to his "project" in a recent interview, but you never know in football. We also have some takeover uncertainty as well, which could be pivotal.

So - hands off :D

1 hour ago, europia said:

Might make sense if the guy were to come in and recruit the new manager. Not much point if that's already a done deal (Rowett) as reports suggest. 

He will be here to appoint the manager after Rowett. As long as he's quick 

23 minutes ago, europia said:

That would include our recruitment of managers etc? 

Managers, yeah I guess so: 

IMO - Clement was a good signing, I don't think we should have sacked him but no-one really knows why he was

Pearson - I wasn't a fan of, was going to support him but pre-season and first few games to me showed he hadn't a clue what to do with this squad.

Mac 2 - I was initially excited, this was solidified after the 10 game unbeaten run, but then it stopped working, did he lose the dressing room etc etc that's being discussed elsewhere. His hands were slightly tied by not really being able to bring in who he wanted - January is not the time to reshape a squad.

As for our scouting - I don't think many on here are fans, I read last night (Twitter maybe?) that both Morris and McClaren's sons were on the scouting team?

If Tevreden comes in, hopefully he will be responsible for reshaping some of the backroom with whoever is appointed manager. 

38 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Isn't there a bit of conflict here? Rowett has played direct football throughout and this guy comes from Ajax.

Maybe Rowett will change style because I don't think Mel wants us to be a solid, direct team.

It makes sense to play direct football if you have Clayton Donaldson upfront and Demarai Gray on the wing.

He may have a different squad at his disposal.

17 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Sam Rush is a shareholder on the board isn't he? Bit hard to displace him if I'm right 

He would/could still be a shareholder, Doesn't make him immune from the sack. He's an employee of MM just like everyone else at the club.

Archived