Is Alex Pearce a downgrade on Jake Buxton?

Andicis

5 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

100 times a down grade. 

Buxton wasn't just passion and desire. He could play at both ends of the park. We actually scored from corners when he was about. Plus his left peg was a beaut. 

If he'd have come from the PL and worn bright boots, he would have got the plaudits he deserved. But he was always labeled as non league, and his old school approach made people see him as a relic. 

I would never have let him go. 

If he was that good why couldn't he get in our side and why did he end up at Wigan. By all means praise his attributes but accept his pitfalls too. He was positionally inept, too slow and went to ground in tackles too quickly. As I said earlier " bang average" at this level. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Doodle said:

If he was that good why couldn't he get in our side and why did he end up at Wigan. By all means praise his attributes but accept his pitfalls too. He was positionally inept, too slow and went to ground in tackles too quickly. As I said earlier " bang average" at this level. 

If Pearce is so much better why isn't he now showing it?

They all have their strengths and weaknesses. 

It's time to stop looking at Joe Bloggs and saying is he better than Fred Smith. Ask, can he offer us more?

This is how players go from hero to zero so quickly. 

Joe Bloggs might be the fastest, most skilful creative winger in football known for hitting the byline and whipping in wonderful crosses. 

"We'll have some of that. Here! Take our money!!"

Well, now Joe Bloggs is struggling because your RB never passes to him unless he's marked. He doesn't defend and your RB can't defend either. He's hitting crosses into a box where you have 2 players. Both are 3ft tall and have 50p heads. Oh, and you don't play with wingers so Joe Bloggs plays 30 yards further back than for his last club. 

Obviously I'm simplifying. But it helps answer the question is Buxton better than Shackell and Pearce.

At defending.. nah. But by asking those two wooden puppets to pass we are killing ourselves, creating more defensive work. 

Basically it's like me crashing my car into your living room and then saying "hi, I'm an excellent builder, here's my card"

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If Pearce is so much better why isn't he now showing it?

I didn't say he was so much better because he isn't. I would say Pearce is a better player but less committed to the cause. Neither are good enough to challenge at the top of this division. My point is Buxton shouldn't be given more credit than he deserves because he is limited at best 

33 minutes ago, Doodle said:

I didn't say he was so much better because he isn't. I would say Pearce is a better player but less committed to the cause. Neither are good enough to challenge at the top of this division. My point is Buxton shouldn't be given more credit than he deserves because he is limited at best 

Pearce has won the division, Bucko's finished third and we were top the year after when he got crocked.

Wes Morgan and Rob Huth won the title. 

It's not about the player, it's how efficient a cog in the machine they are.

Jake Buxton was exactly the kind of player you need in your team to get us out of the championship.

Exactly the kind of person you need when playing away at Forest or Leeds 

Its a shame because we don't have too many (if any at all)  like that. In my view this is the single reason why we are where we are. We have the wrong kinds of players to get out of this league, from a character point of view. And have done for some time. And we keep adding to those wrong kinds of players, every window.

Players like Jake, its not just what they themselves do in a game, its the belief and strength their example gives to their team mates.

It astonishes me that our recruitment policy seems to take no account of the character or strength of personality of potential recruits. None whatsoever. 

In terms of Alex it would be churlish to criticise him now after having done so well earlier in the season.

You do have to wonder, though, about what is going on when he has the ball at his feet. What is all that about ? A professional footballer playing at a very high level who cannot confidently and positively use a football when given it ? Blimey. Its actually embarrassing to watch.

2 minutes ago, cannable said:

Pearce has won the division, Bucko's finished third and we were top the year after when he got crocked.

That was then this is now. The division has moved on. The team we had that finished 3 rd wouldn't be good enough to finish 3 rd now. With the parachute money and lure of the promised land. The top 6 this year are far better. When we finished 3 rd, Leicester were good Burnley ok and we were the best of the rest. Do you honestly believe that Burnley side would be 2 nd this season? We have at best trodden water, the rest have moved on. That's the problem. Don't compare players who did well then and expect them to do well now, they don't and never will again 

1 minute ago, Doodle said:

That was then this is now. The division has moved on. The team we had that finished 3 rd wouldn't be good enough to finish 3 rd now. With the parachute money and lure of the promised land. The top 6 this year are far better. When we finished 3 rd, Leicester were good Burnley ok and we were the best of the rest. Do you honestly believe that Burnley side would be 2 nd this season? We have at best trodden water, the rest have moved on. That's the problem. Don't compare players who did well then and expect them to do well now, they don't and never will again 

Everybody always says that the league's stronger because of increased parachute payments. It's a myth. All it means is that transfer fees become inflated.

The Burnley side that won the league last year was arguably weaker than the one which finished second.

You really don't understand what my point is, do you mate? 

No Alex Pearce is not a downgrade on Jake Buxton. Alex Pearce over the season has done well and kept Jason Shackell on the bench for months. They're both decent Championship defenders, personallly I'd rather have Pearce than Buxton.

4 minutes ago, cannable said:

Everybody always says that the league's stronger because of increased parachute payments. It's a myth. All it means is that transfer fees become inflated.

The Burnley side that won the league last year was arguably weaker than the one which finished second.

You really don't understand what my point is, do you mate? 

I understand your point fine thanks, I just disagree with it. Players suit systems no doubt about that. But my main argument is Jake Buxton may suit our system ( whatever that means these days) but he just isn't good enough to play for a side that wants to be a premiership team. We have had a transfer window since he left us. Ask yourself why one of the promotion contenders didn't buy him ( or even villa) simple answer is, he's just not very good. As for Burnley being worse than the team who finished 2 nd. That's just stupidity. The team who finished 2 nd were relegated this team won't be, silly billy 

Just now, Doodle said:

I understand your point fine thanks, I just disagree with it. Players suit systems no doubt about that. But my main argument is Jake Buxton may suit our system ( whatever that means these days) but he just isn't good enough to play for a side that wants to be a premiership team. We have had a transfer window since he left us. Ask yourself why one of the promotion contenders didn't buy him ( or even villa) simple answer is, he's just not very good. As for Burnley being worse than the team who finished 2 nd. That's just stupidity. The team who finished 2 nd were relegated this team won't be, silly billy 

Because, at 33, he'd played thrice in a year and a half.

35 minutes ago, cannable said:

Correct. And our machine stutters at best. Let us hope we tune it up nicely this summer.

2 minutes ago, Doodle said:

???you really think his age and  lack of game time is the only reason a top 6 team didn't buy him. Ffs get a grip 

I'm not the one saying a pair of players who have been up there weren't capable of doing so, at the end of the day.

Pearce did look useful during our run but like so many players at the moment is out of form. He is clearly a confidence player but is seriously lacking currently.

Is he left footed as I do find it frustrating if he isn't that he continues to play soft balls out of defence that either go to the opposition or out of play with his left foot?

Ironic that when Michael Keane was on loan here (under SM I think) he looked nothing special yet he is being lauded at Burnley with a potential big money move to Chelsea in the offing.

Tough being a rams fans but if we think its bad my pal follows Cov and they are really struggling.

I'd absolutely have him back in the team. His distribution was a class above Pearce and Shackell's which in turn helped relieve pressure on the defence as the ball wasn't just being punted upfield and lost.

He always gave it his all too and would be a great character to have in the team.

Pearce can't mark people at crosses or set pieces, ball watches and is totally flat footed. Also has no pace. Bristol City fans thought he was crap so i have no idea why he is in our team. We want to challenge for top 2 in this league he isn't good enough. Buxton was better, Shackell is better. Keogh is streets ahead of all of em. Do we want to go up or not? Part of the summer clear out.

Archived