Stevie mac or schteve

catram

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's been good for us over both spells overall. This time around he hasn't found his best team since injuries after we went unbeaten. Think we need a good summer under him to get players like Martin and Thorne back and some decent cover as well as a bit of extra quality in the team. 

Its all opinions

i think theres tons of middle ground.

I dont get too excited when we win 7 in a row, by keeping clean sheets and get a lucky streak from Ince.

Likewise I dont go slitting my wrists every time we dont win a game (unlike the twitter possee on radio derby post match).

Give it 2 more transfer windows and we are still in the same position as when Nigel Clough left us, then i will be frustrated.

The importance of fans getting behind the team is often discussed, well the manager is also part of the team and he has my full support, well until i change my mind and go ballistic on him, as one does, but until then he's my guy.  i was one of the more obsessed fans with getting him back, so i feel kinda duty bound to be in his corner at least until mid next season, sort of, probably, maybe

The difference under mcclaren has been one thing: TOM INCE. That's the turnaround.

Mac, well he's a fun guy who makes the players laugh and have fun. Good sessions at practice. He's better suited to coaching a u18 or youth team than to an adult professional team. His have fun and freedom side helped post Pearson, freeing them from footballing prison. But he's tactically close to inept, is too rigid in his footballing ideas, he can't coach set pieces offensively or defensively. He doesn't know how to coach a possession game with intent and maintain defensive structure, and he cannot build a promotion-winning formation around the players he has. But the biggest problem is that he's a massive underachiever and he consistently bottles the games he needs to win. Good managers can easily set up to stop him because he's terribly predictable in his version of 4-3-3. Opposing managers consistently speak about hammering us or getting unlucky or us not posing a threat regardless of result. No one is very impressed at the football we are offering. 

He was given a short term deal but it should have been only until the end of the season. I don't think any footballing manager could have bottled England v croatia, Wembley, the Reading home game, Newcastle, and got 2 points or less at home to Cardiff Bristol and Burton. It's epic failing. 

We need a Director of Football preferably like Rangnick Klopp or Pochettino who can instill a modern style into our game. A new Derby County way. Then have the manager/coach play exactly to that style.

The way forward is forward with something new, not backwards with the same old same old.

15 minutes ago, Ninos said:

The difference under mcclaren has been one thing: TOM INCE. That's the turnaround...

Blah blah blah

The way forward is forward with something new, not backwards with the same old same old.

That would be Tom Ince that Mac gets the best out of? The last sentence is meaningless.

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

The difference under mcclaren has been one thing: TOM INCE. That's the turnaround.

Mac, well he's a fun guy who makes the players laugh and have fun. Good sessions at practice. He's better suited to coaching a u18 or youth team than to an adult professional team. His have fun and freedom side helped post Pearson, freeing them from footballing prison. But he's tactically close to inept, is too rigid in his footballing ideas, he can't coach set pieces offensively or defensively. He doesn't know how to coach a possession game with intent and maintain defensive structure, and he cannot build a promotion-winning formation around the players he has. But the biggest problem is that he's a massive underachiever and he consistently bottles the games he needs to win. Good managers can easily set up to stop him because he's terribly predictable in his version of 4-3-3. Opposing managers consistently speak about hammering us or getting unlucky or us not posing a threat regardless of result. No one is very impressed at the football we are offering. 

He was given a short term deal but it should have been only until the end of the season. I don't think any footballing manager could have bottled England v croatia, Wembley, the Reading home game, Newcastle, and got 2 points or less at home to Cardiff Bristol and Burton. It's epic failing. 

We need a Director of Football preferably like Rangnick Klopp or Pochettino who can instill a modern style into our game. A new Derby County way. Then have the manager/coach play exactly to that style.

Read that , took it in , and I'll ponder on your thoughts.  Some valid points for sure , not sure on some though .

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

Love how so many folk assume that if we don't want McClaren hung, drawn and quartered we must therefore think he walks on water. Does make me laugh.

It's as if there is no middle ground, like accepting he's one of the best for the circumstances we find ourselves in, which his record as Derby manager over two spells with different squads proves, while being blind to how it could improve in the future.

For me, he's more than earned the chance to see his contract out, and let's see where we are at the end of it.

Btw, the biggest myth in football is you need a plan B, that's what the Chelsea fans were screaming for after losing to Tottenham, doesn't seem to have done them any harm since.

2 hours ago, reveldevil said:

It's as if there is no middle ground, like accepting he's one of the best for the circumstances we find ourselves in, which his record as Derby manager over two spells with different squads proves, while being blind to how it could improve in the future.

For me, he's more than earned the chance to see his contract out, and let's see where we are at the end of it.

Btw, the biggest myth in football is you need a plan B, that's what the Chelsea fans were screaming for after losing to Tottenham, doesn't seem to have done them any harm since.

I agree in that it was right to give him a stab at saving us from relegation and getting us up the league. I do t agree he's earned the contract. What exactly is he accomplishing right now?

He doesn't have the requisite skill set to get us promoted, and at this point even the playing style is not that impressive. I'm hoping Mel and co are looking hard for a quality manager and Director of Football and that the new vision and staff will be in place in the summer. 

8 hours ago, Ninos said:

I agree in that it was right to give him a stab at saving us from relegation and getting us up the league. I do t agree he's earned the contract. What exactly is he accomplishing right now?

He doesn't have the requisite skill set to get us promoted, and at this point even the playing style is not that impressive. I'm hoping Mel and co are looking hard for a quality manager and Director of Football and that the new vision and staff will be in place in the summer. 

I would worry more if they replaced Mac, got a new DoF in and more new transfers. It'd mean even more disruption to what's already another summer with a new manager to the one we started with. The club needs stability more than anything IMO. 

8 hours ago, Ninos said:

Do I like that .

Archived