My Lads op.

Coneheadjohn

20 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

I was saving my Steve Maclaren story for later but i'll share it now.

Let me just say that DCFC as a club/organisation/business have been utterly fantastic in helping me and family at a rough time.Something we did not expect and I love the club that little bit more for it(I didn't think that was possible).

We've got a club who I believe genuinely cares about it's fans,the clubs in good hands.

I did agree with the club some confidentiality which I will respect.

So,me the Mrs and 3 boys are on a family trip to a game recently and it's probably going to be my eldests last pre surgery due to his health so we were trying to make it special,everyone had a new suit,family meal,go early hang around in the car park,try and get Keogh to sign a shirt for him to take into hospital,usual stuff kids want,meet their heroes etc.

Bloody hell,I missed him!

Anyway,we had a great day,during the day I had seen my Mrs talking to a lady who worked for the club,I didn't really take much notice but I did notice when Michael Johnson appeared and took my Mrs to one side.

Obviously I went over,what a great bloke,pleasure to meet him.Had a picture with my boys.....great.

Sorry,I'm rambling.

We're going to leave after the game and I see Michael Johnson speaking to my Mrs again.We didn't leave the stadium the usual way,we were going to be taken out the main West Stand entrance.

We went down all these stairs and ended up stood in this corridor outside the exit.

A door opened and my 15 year old grabbed my arm and said 'Steve Maclarens in there'!

'Don't talk daft son'!!

I could see my eldest filling up with tears as Chris Powell poked his head out of the door and said'Lovely to meet you,the gaffer wants to see you'!

So in we go to this room,Mac,Powell Chris Evans and a couple of DCFC staff are in the room with the opposition manager and staff.

Maclaren instantly cut everyone off and spoke to my son.

Asked what was going on and looked genuinely shocked when my Mrs told him and he had a good look at the back of my lads head where he has had surgery.

That's all I can tell you really.

My last memories where talking to Kevin Phillips outside, my Mrs with her arms round Michael Johnson and both of them being in tears.

We went out of the main entrance,my eldest was in tears and George Thorne was stood next to us....I couldn't take it in.

And a week later Maclaren and staff were sacked!

I understood at that point why the club had set him back on,just making that time to speak to my lad made him so happy.

Anyway,that's it.I've missed some bits out.Thanks to the club,thanks to Michael Johnson and staff at the club and a lady I'll call Angela.They'll never know what that mean't to us.

Best wishes to you all fella, glad the club was able to make you all smile.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

Aren't hospital stats depressing.Got a big screen in front of me saying 15096 patients attended outpatients last week but 1609 failed to attend!

Also displaying that Mr Irving is an hour and a half behind.....boll@cks.

Edit....2 hours.

They are...but I've had letters cancelling our kid's referrals having missed appointments that we never received!!

Hope you get some good news.

54 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

They are...but I've had letters cancelling our kid's referrals having missed appointments that we never received!!

Hope you get some good news.

Cheers,

Yes,it can be pretty frustrating at times.

Joels consultant left to go to his private practice but it was fine even the traffic from Sheffield was ok today and it will go ahead 2 weeks thursday as planned.

17 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Cheers,

Yes,it can be pretty frustrating at times.

Joels consultant left to go to his private practice but it was fine even the traffic from Sheffield was ok today and it will go ahead 2 weeks thursday as planned.

Fingers and everything else crossed it all goes well. 

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Lest I forget, all the best for Joel and the Coneheads on Thursday .

Thanks mate,

really appreciate the forum putting a collective arm round us.

Fairly tense here as you can imagine,Joels pretty unwell and really if circumstances were different he probably should be in hospital.

On 16/02/2017 at 19:37, coneheadjohn said:

Hope you don't mind me putting it on here.

His surgery will take place on the 4th of May at Queens in Birmingham.

It's been on then cancelled a couple of times due to the plastic surgery team not being available.

Joel will the first one of two nationally waiting for this surgery so we are all ok with this date.

He was seen in Sheffield last week where emergency surgery was considered but we all agreed to wait and do it properly.

It's nearly 12 months since his last op which went ok at first then left him rushed back in with an infection and we nearly lost him.

Anyway lads had a tough year,and we need this one to count.

I'll post on here when he's going in,massive thanks for all the offers of help and support.

Cheers

As a dad myself I wish your lad all the best mate.

9 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

Happy we are here to keep you in some form of therapy John. Only just seen this thread myself. You know we are all rooting for you and your lad. 

Thanks....and thanks to everyone.

Packed his bag earlier whilst we listened to the match,got a home shirt and the boots Incey gave him for luck.

I'm sat in a bed on a ward in the Royal Derby hospital right now, kept in with what is really just a sore throat (quinsy, yeah I thought it was an 80's American cop series too!), but I'm being very mardy and woe is me.

Can only imagine what it's like to have (or be a father of someone) with something really nasty.

Hope everything goes well, wishing you, your son and all your family all the best for the coming weeks.

5 minutes ago, philmycock said:

I'm sat in a bed on a ward in the Royal Derby hospital right now, kept in with what is really just a sore throat (quinsy, yeah I thought it was an 80's American cop series too!), but I'm being very mardy and woe is me.

Can only imagine what it's like to have (or be a father of someone) with something really nasty.

Hope everything goes well, wishing you, your son and all your family all the best for the coming weeks.

Not nice being in hospital for anything mate.

Royal Derbys not bad as hospitals go.

Hope you get out soon.

14 hours ago, philmycock said:

Hope you are on the mend soon too mate. Shall we send Tony Moore and nursie to visit? :D

5 hours ago, philmycock said:

I'm in a private side room not on a ward, so Nursie is more than welcome to visit, Tony can stay outside with Matron!

I'm sorry to hear you're not well fella, especially as they've put you in a private room so as not to distress the other patients.

Just in case, is there a particular minute you'd like the minutes applause on for the 1st home game of next season?

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

I'm sorry to hear you're not well fella, especially as they've put you in a private room so as not to distress the other patients.

Just in case, is there a particular minute you'd like the minutes applause on for the 1st home game of next season?

Ooh yes please, 9th minute please, in reverence to Chrissy Martin!

Archived