Munich

jono

Nice to see there will be silence before the under 23 game. 

I am a Ram, but grew up in Manchester and spent many a happy afternoon at Old Trafford. United are my "other team" and always will be.

away from the glitz and marketing of the premier league, very much like Derby they still like to play football the right way. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jono said:

I am a Ram, but grew up in Manchester and spent many a happy afternoon at Old Trafford. United are my "other team" and always will be.

away from the glitz and marketing of the premier league, very much like Derby they still like to play football the right way. 

Respect due obviously for Munich ,but never had much time for Utd as a club until I did a tour of the ground and saw how much they did for their disabled fans .Went up in my estimation .

6 hours ago, jono said:

That's nice to see.I spent plenty of time in Manchester in my teenage years and even worked at the Etihad a bit.

I never got the walk right though.

Nice to show a bit of respect.

Respect for Munich. Stories of Duncan Edwards and the Busby babes and the emotion of United winning the European Cup in 1968 were major football news when i was growing up. As an 8 year old i liked Bobby Charlton and George Best and still think they were two of the best players i ever saw play live.

As a teenager and young adult united could feck right off and their fans were complete arseoles, pretty much without exception, something they have maintained a remarkable consistency for over several decades.

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Respect for Munich. Stories of Duncan Edwards and the Busby babes and the emotion of United winning the European Cup in 1968 were major football news when i was growing up. As an 8 year old i liked Bobby Charlton and George Best and still think they were two of the best players i ever saw play live.

As a teenager and young adult united could feck right off and their fans were complete arseoles, pretty much without exception, something they have maintained a remarkable consistency for over several decades.

have you ever travelled to away matches and observed some of our own fans?

I don't dislike clubs by the behaviour of fans, you're looking at a small percentage of "fans", some of which only go for the day out and punch up which is why I find Florida Rams dislike for Liverpool ridiculous. 

I'm a Derby fan and you'll never see me waste a pint by launching it in the air, not at those prices anyhow. I distance myself from that completely, be unfair to call all Derby fans lager wasters, see me in the pub I'm the guy with his head back pint glass vertical getting every last drop.

Young David wasn't a Man Utd fan so to speak but I loved watching their Wednesday night Champions League games on ITV, before the likes of Chelski and Man City. Wouldn't miss a game, no Twitter, forums on your phone, there was no phones. Fully zoned in on the game.

Became more of a England v Italy, Spain, Germany. Was never a lets boo the English side as they win everything.

No longer feel like that, can't really blame the money but I can quite easily pass watching Chelski or Man City in the CL.

Only thing I can say it could be is that United side had a core group of English players which were great to watch, something I have loved about Derby recently.

Before anyone calls me racist shut it, I just find it difficult to watch a team of Johnny Foriegners not give a toss, you don't see the same passion.

20 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Were their fans that bad? Just Horrible?? Heard stories about them rampaging and nicking scarfs as souvenirs from normal fans, were they more detestable than the ugly Leeds, Cardiff and Millwall lot of the 80's and 90's?

1 hour ago, philmycock said:

Were their fans that bad? Just Horrible?? Heard stories about them rampaging and nicking scarfs as souvenirs from normal fans, were they more detestable than the ugly Leeds, Cardiff and Millwall lot of the 80's and 90's?

In my experience the United fans of the 70's would attack any group of rival fans, bullying others and hiding behind their numbers, Yeah, nicking scarves was one of their finer points.

Maybe i was just unlucky, but the ones i met were always totally arrogant cockwombles, home or away or even in transit when not actually playing them. Leeds weren't far behind them in those days either.

2 hours ago, philmycock said:

No one even comes near to those Leeds and Millwall fans!

However, I recall that after a 4-4 Boxing day game all the United and Rams fans came out of the Baseball Groun en masse and we were pressed against a stupid car which tried to drive through the crowd. This was the driver's stupid fault and he was invited to an interesting exchange of views with a mounted policeman. There was no crowd trouble though.

Munich happened decades before I was born. I'd have no more inclination to commemorate that incident than the Titanic or the men who tragically lost their live in the Battle of Hastings. Harsh? Maybe. 

Also, for a visceral reason I wouldn't want to try to articulate, I ******* hate manchester utd.

13 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

In my experience the United fans of the 70's would attack any group of rival fans, bullying others and hiding behind their numbers, Yeah, nicking scarves was one of their finer points.

Maybe i was just unlucky, but the ones i met were always totally arrogant cockwombles, home or away or even in transit when not actually playing them. Leeds weren't far behind them in those days either.

I remember Man Ure fans getting off their train to fight with Derby at the station, when we were on our way to Colchester in the cup. Yep, they were that bad, in the 70's

On 08/02/2017 at 18:09, EastHertsRam said:

Wasn't that Thucydides geez in the AEK Athens crew that kicked off against Sparta Prague ? :ph34r:

I see what you did there :lol:

In his day was a top midfield general but at the wrong side of 2, 000 age has caught up with him. Blyth Spartans now more his level.

That sophocles was a darned good playmaker an all......

Archived