Chris Martin signs new contract until 2020

Cam the Ram

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mrdave85 said:

I am a fan of Martin coming back, but...

Does Fulham's statement sound like they're interpreting the to-buy agreement as they just have to make the offer and Martin is theirs

What if Fulham get promoted? Martin mentioned specifically about Derby being geared for the PL. What if Fulham get promoted, offer to buy, Martin likes that even more improved contract they'd have to offer - would he stay?

Yes possibly, but they would have to better the Derby offer - offering £30,000+ a week, not even sure they would?

If they get promoted then I would say Yes and to be fair paying a player £30,000 plus a week for playing in the prem would be not unusual.

1 minute ago, Parsnip said:

If Chris Martin ever pulls on a Fulham shirt again i'll turn up at pride park on match day wearing nothing but a tutu and a pair of armbands.

This is not a bookmark...

1 minute ago, toddy said:

Yes possibly, but they would have to better the Derby offer - offering £30,000+ a week, not even sure they would?

If they get promoted then I would say Yes and to be fair paying a player £30,000 plus a week for playing in the prem would be not unusual.

I think I may not have been clear, I was trying to make the point of do they think as he's signed this loan to possible buy contract, that it means he has to accept a contract if they activate the purchase clause?

8 hours ago, Simsy said:

It isn't made up...

Rynny has confirmed he went 18 from open play so perhaps with internationals it could be 23?

Fact is having 2 draughts of at least 18 games and one 14 (if I've read statto rynny comment correct) is dreadful.  

It does matter if it's open play or not because anyone can score a pen as keogh showed twice against Carlisle.

I would like to point out that Howard and Rasiak both only scored 16 league goals the 2 seasons when we reached the play offs. Which is only 1 more than what Martin scored last season. So why are those 2 so revered yet Martin was poor last season, over 1 goal?

3 minutes ago, Dcfc10 said:

How can Fulham come out and say there's a option to buy at end of season if the player and us dnt want to him to go. Do they still think they will send money our way at end of season or are they a deluded lot.?

Because they have a contract with us to buy him for £9 million, they would have to pay Martin at least what he is earning now [new contract amount]. No other club can come in buy him for the £9 million  -the contract is solely with us and Fulham

10 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Disappointing news. I must be in a small minority of thinking we can get better in 2017-18, whilst a great many seem unable to move on from 2013-14.

Football divides opinion like it does fans, I think you and a vocal minority who are against Martin coming back, have every right to think we are going backwards.

All I'd say is knowing how he can link play and Macs preferred style of play, I can't think of a more proven striker at championship level that suits that style; whilst his scoring record at Fulham suggests he's none too bad in someone else's team either. 

Whether he comes back now or the end of the season, I'm glad he's coming back. Bent likely will not have a renewed contract and be gone, whilst the Martin loan has paid for Nugent. Not bad business, just a little murky round the edges, which is my real concern, clubs may become wary of dealing with Sam in the future and that might come back to haunt us at some point; but then as with everything in football, money talks!

5 minutes ago, toddy said:

Because they have a contract with us to buy him for £9 million, they would have to pay Martin at least what he is earning now [new contract amount]. No other club can come in buy him for the £9 million  -the contract is solely with us and Fulham

So if Martin agrees to go for say 35k a week we got no say in it.

12 minutes ago, Dcfc10 said:

How can Fulham come out and say there's a option to buy at end of season if the player and us dnt want to him to go. Do they still think they will send money our way at end of season or are they a deluded lot.?

Technically, Derby have accepted Fulham's offer, but they would still need to agree personal terms with the player. It's no different to a release clause being met.

49 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think that it would have been far worse to wait until after the window shuts to be announcing a new deal. We would then leave Fulham with an unhappy player for the rest of the season that they are unable to get rid of. This way, we at least give them a way out if they wish to take it.

While it is really unusual for a club to be so public with the new contract announcement for an on-loan player I feel that the situation has been forced on Derby by Fulham's insistence on ignoring Martin's wishes in all this. 

I think it would be naive for us to assume that this sort of negotiation doesn't go on behind the scenes in various loan arrangements but Fulham chose to bring this into the public domain and this is the consequence of that.

You're right, I meant I'd have waited until Martin returned in the window, and then announced it, but wouldn't say anything if he didn't.

I just poorly expressed that.

12 hours ago, cannable said:

And yet he still managed to score 15 goals, set-up another 12 and created more chances from open play than any other player in the division!

... and that was without Hughes or Bryson to play with, largely under a manager who's ideals lean towards low-scoring Karanka's-Boro type displays, and a brief period under Wassall where he looked more like himself.

Parts of this situation are analogous to when we had Ince on loan from Hull, with an agreed fee to buy. Hull wanted Ince back and we wanted to keep him. He chose us, but it was the player's choice - we couldn't insist.

Fulham might want to keep Martin but they can't force him to sign as that's modern day slavery. The choice is his and he's made it.

People in this thread have pointed to Martin's form towards the end of last season to claim he's in decline. Just look at the goalscoring records of Ince and Bent under McClaren versus our other managers. We know Martin works at Derby and especially so with our current manager.

People say its unfair on Fulham. Nonsense. The situation was made clear to them even before the January window opened. Football is a brutal dog eat dog world but they've had the whole month to arrange a replacement. They're a badly run club if they've not acted on that. Surely even now they can just bring McCormack back.

There are arguments over the wages. As far as I'm aware, none of us has seen the loan contract. I would really laugh if it means Fulham would have to pay the full weekly wage were they to be ridiculous at this point and still insist on keeping the player in west London.

Some say we're clearly preparing for another season in this division. It would be crazy not to. Brighton and Newcastle disappeared over the horizon long ago so our only chance of promotion is one in four in the playoffs, and we have to get into them first. Martin would be a massive boost to help us achieve that.

Full marks to all at the club.

10 minutes ago, Dcfc10 said:

So if Martin agrees to go for say 35k a week we got no say in it.

Correct.

Its all in Fulham's hand, isn't that the reason we done the new deal with Martin now, it unsettles him again and it puts more pressure on them to send him back.

This is what SR negotiated, on numpties say so. 

Archived