Do we believe Mac...do we agree?

Jimbo Ram

Steve Mac said after the game last night that he was happy with the squad and wouldn't be bringing anyone else in before transfer deadline day? Do you believe him or is this just a bit of a bluff? Do people think we do need to strengthen the squad further? If so in which areas of the team? I think a skilful midfielder similar to Will as cover and a target man up top would suffice. Thoughts?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think he would love to add to the squad in an ideal world but knows it's difficult. So what's the point in saying he's looking for new players and giving the impression to the ones playing now they're not good enough?

If there's a skilful midfielder who's fit and playing regular football that another team would be willing to sell half-way through the season with less than a week left to replace him, I'm sure Steve would love to hear about him.

3 minutes ago, kyle mccabe said:

I still feel like we are missing a good forward. Bent does get a goal now and then but I don't feel like he is a real threat I would like to see nugent given a oppertunity

Isn't Bent averaging just under 1 in 2 under Mac?

I think if you are expecting better than that from Nugent you are going to be disappointed because he has never done that at any point in his career.

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Isn't Bent averaging just under 1 in 2 under Mac?

I think if you are expecting better than that from Nugent you are going to be disappointed because he has never done that at any point in his career.

18 in 33 (19 if you count his first effort last night). Better than 1 in 2.

Bent is by no means perfect but you can't fault him for goals under McClaren.

I really do like Bents attitude. Proper pro. When u look at the squad there are some players who have a good attitude to the game. Incey often gets criticised but imo he has one of the best and a sensible head on young shoulders.

Pearce, Baird, Keogh, Hughesy, Bryso, JR also. Really want to play for the club and show pride in what they do. When fit Forsyth and GT always wear hearts on sleeve.

36 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Steve Mac said after the game last night that he was happy with the squad and wouldn't be bringing anyone else in before transfer deadline day? Do you believe him or is this just a bit of a bluff? Do people think we do need to strengthen the squad further? If so in which areas of the team? I think a skilful midfielder similar to Will as cover and a target man up top would suffice. Thoughts?

Not going to happen.

Anyone capable of filling Will's shoes is going to expect to be a starter, which discounts buying anyone fitting the bill - and no Premier League side is going to lend us a young gun just to sit on the bench.

As for a target-man, have you written Nugent off already?

The january window is notoriously difficult with alot of 11th hour brinkmanship.

i don't think we've missed any deal that would have really improved us altho Mowatt @ £500k might have been interesting. Certainly better value than Angela Lansbury.

i wouldn't have bought nugent, i'd rather have kept weimann tbh.

canos might yet leave norwich but is a difficult player to assess and value. 

7 minutes ago, eddie said:

Not going to happen.

Anyone capable of filling Will's shoes is going to expect to be a starter, which discounts buying anyone fitting the bill - and no Premier League side is going to lend us a young gun just to sit on the bench.

As for a target-man, have you written Nugent off already?

No but I am not sure he can be effective up top on his own...hope he is mind...

I suppose it depends what the aim for this season is. IMO the current squad is 4th to 10th place. We may well manage a play off place if form, fitness and luck goes our way, but I don't believe that we have any realistic chance of making the top two.

I'd say tat we need a proper target man (or even two for cover/bench) and another central midfielder to really compete at the sharp end. I'm also concerned that only having three centre backs and a plethora of injury prone left backs could see us in trouble - in a perfect world I'd loan in left back who can also cover in the centre if needed. 

However, January is a poor time for recruitment and we could easily spend £15m on players who don't work out. As a fan I'd obviously like to see us go for it, but I can understand Mel thinking that we'll stick with what we've got and look to make changes in the summer.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I agree with you, i think our squad when all are fit is easily capable of top 6, but for me the midfield is a concern, without Will, we look light in there, look at recent games where he hasn't been on the pitch... that said, i cant see us spending the kind of money atm to get someone 'similar', i was hoping for Houraine but Villa again buy up our targets :(

Archived