McClaren's Transfer Comments (21/01/17)

Nuwtfly

Said this today on the current transfer front:

"There's nothing likely in the next few days.

"We are concentrating on what we have here.

"There's not a lot of people who we can bring in can make the squad better.

"We had a couple that we've missed out on."

(http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/what-next-in-the-transfer-window-for-derby-county-here-s-steve-mcclaren/story-30076318-detail/story.html#KJUKFZcEk3vOVQfW.99)

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Find this a little hard to believe when we've got Chris "10 targets for every position" Evans back...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need specific player types for specific roles. Acquiring those aren't exactly easy in January.

Not doing much, especially in January, isn't a particularly bad thing considering our previous transfer record over the past 24 months or so.

Decent players might be available now, but if they don't fit the profile and our playing system, leave them well alone! Let somebody else like Villa sign them and then struggle to work out where to play them.

We've signed a few players recently for the sake of it and I think that's what he is wary off. We let the best striker in this division go in the summer, you'd have spend a lot of money or uncover a real special gem to replace him. Rather give the youngsters a chance myself. Callum Guy got MOTM on his debut which says our youth players must handy enough.

Just now, PistoldPete2 said:

Fair enough ... we need someone who can score goals from midfield .. lansbury has gone elsewhere. We move on.

Butterfield is a midfield goalscorer, when Clement first had him he was banging them in. Who would we go and get that is better for reasonable money?

Interesting that in the interview he was positive about players returning from injury. Said that after the Leicester game we would have a full squad to choose from, mentioned Anya, Lowe and "even Blackman" (his exact words). But no mention of Thorne. Makes me worry that we may not see much, if any, of him this season.

Thorne in that side today, which would probably also have allowed Christie to replace Baird, and it would have been pretty impressive. (Martin for Bent too - but don't get me started...)

As I said in the other transfer thread, I think its the case we're keeping our powder dry.

January's a seller's market. Combination of clubs trying to get some money for players close to the end of their contract, and others panic buying to fill positions.

We've got a number of players now coming back from injury, Olsson did very well considering how little time he's had, Christie picked up some valuable minutes, Anya, Lowe, Blackman all close, reportedly.

Johnson and Butterfield will also come back after suspensions. 

That's 7 first teamers there - you could pretty much make most of a starting 11 out of all those (note, I don't meant they should all be playing together).

All of a sudden the squad doesn't look quite so thin.

Also wonder if we are waiting for what happens with the likes of Forsyth, Thorne and Martin. If all three stay available (and at the club), then they're a big part of the team. Foz and Thorne have had some serious injuries, jury's out whether they can get back to anywhere near their levels. 

For me as in the 14/15 season we need a Martin replacement. With this system that type of player is vital, we failed to replace then and it cost us. Please don't let it happen again Steve :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

Interesting that in the interview he was positive about players returning from injury. Said that after the Leicester game we would have a full squad to choose from, mentioned Anya, Lowe and "even Blackman" (his exact words). But no mention of Thorne. Makes me worry that we may not see much, if any, of him this season.

Thorne in that side today, which would probably also have allowed Christie to replace Baird, and it would have been pretty impressive. (Martin for Bent too - but don't get me started...)

Good to hear Lowe may be fit.. but like you i worry that thorne isnt even mentioned. Of course we will have Johnson and Butterfield back as well and hopefuly nugent.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Such an easy one that.

Not easy, but essential. Doing nothing isn't the answer (nor is Vydra, Nugent or Bent) 

Might be my utter stupidity and complete amateur simplistic views on football, but we have a very good squad with a lot of out of form players which if we can get firing on all cylinders we are fine as we are and capable of finishing in the play offs.

The temptation will always be there to keep buying new players and throw players on the scrap heap, sometimes an arm round the shoulder, tickle the ego and build their confidence up is all you need.

Still think we are a little short in certain areas-namely Left wing and centre mid. Russell had a good game today but over the course of the season Bryson and Russell aren't good enough. It depends what our short term objectives are, if it's to try and get promoted this season then Bryson and Russell won't get us there. Can't see this happening now though and I think we will address these areas in the summer eventually. Put a Hourihane in for Bryson and someone like Ibe in for Russell(for arguments sake-I know we won't get him back) then the team would be good enough for top 2 next season.

Archived