McClaren's Transfer Comments (21/01/17)

Nuwtfly

Maybe a team like this next season I hope

Carson

Christie  Keogh Pearce   Forsyth

Thorne

Hughes      New Centre mid

Ince         Martin      New left winger

Over the course of a season if the key players stayed fit, that team would be good enough for the top 2. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

We've signed a few players recently for the sake of it and I think that's what he is wary off. We let the best striker in this division go in the summer, you'd have spend a lot of money or uncover a real special gem to replace him. Rather give the youngsters a chance myself. Callum Guy got MOTM on his debut which says our youth players must handy enough.

Is cm better than dwight gayle ?

14 hours ago, McLovin said:

Still think we are a little short in certain areas-namely Left wing and centre mid. Russell had a good game today but over the course of the season Bryson and Russell aren't good enough. It depends what our short term objectives are, if it's to try and get promoted this season then Bryson and Russell won't get us there. Can't see this happening now though and I think we will address these areas in the summer eventually. Put a Hourihane in for Bryson and someone like Ibe in for Russell(for arguments sake-I know we won't get him back) then the team would be good enough for top 2 next season.

I know you watch a lot of football, how many times have you seen Hourihane play and how do you think he fits into our squad? 

25 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Nope, like I already said it's another bidding war where we'd get ripped. The price is already double what was initially stated.

How much is he going for?

How much did we pay for Johnson and Butterfield?

3 minutes ago, sage said:

How much is he going for?

How much did we pay for Johnson and Butterfield?

Both were panic buys forced upon us under the circumstances and I seriously hope we don't use them as a yardstick for how much we should be spending on players.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Both were panic buys forced upon us under the circumstances and I seriously hope we don't use them as a yardstick for how much we should be spending on players.

Just pointing out that £2m is reasonable value for Hourihane.

7 minutes ago, sage said:

Just pointing out that £2m is reasonable value for Hourihane.

Would be surprised if he was allowed to leave for that amount.

Although Barnsley are a selling club they have already pocketed over £8m this season so don't think they will be under any pressure to sell other players.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Would be surprised if he was allowed to leave for that amount.

Although Barnsley are a selling club they have already pocketed over £8m this season so don't think they will be under any pressure to sell other players.

He is out of contract at the emd of the season. We should have bought him in August but a moron was manager then.

He ho. Our bigger deficiencies lie elsewhere anyway.

5 minutes ago, sage said:

He is out of contract at the emd of the season. We should have bought him in August but a moron was manager then.

He ho. Our bigger deficiencies lie elsewhere anyway.

I would be pretty sure that not many on here had even heard of Hourihane before this season, so to say Pearson should have signed him in the summer is a classic case of hindsight! 

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

I would be pretty sure that not many on here had even heard of Hourihane before this season, so to say Pearson should have signed him in the summer is a classic case of hindsight! 

Does that mean that if fans on forums haven't heard of a player then a manager won't have either? God I hope not,  otherwise we are doomed!

4 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Does that mean that if fans on forums haven't heard of a player then a manager won't have either? God I hope not,  otherwise we are doomed!

No but if he was such a good player last season that he was worth signing in the summer you would imagine fans would be telling about him.

Will have a look in the transfer suggestions thread and see how many suggested him in the summer.

Let's not forget too that we should have scouts out watching players playing as opposed to seeing his stats in the media and deciding he would be a good signing. (Although based on recruitment over the last few years I'm not so sure!)

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

No but if he was such a good player last season that he was worth signing in the summer you would imagine fans would be telling about him.

Will have a look in the transfer suggestions thread and see how many suggested him in the summer.

Let's not forget too that we should have scouts out watching players playing as opposed to seeing his stats in the media and deciding he would be a good signing. (Although based on recruitment over the last few years I'm not so sure!)

Hope we do have scouts out.......scouting! One change between now and last season is obviously how much longer was left on Hourihanes' contract then.

Archived