sage

Scams

54 posts in this topic

After an attempt to scam me via email i thought we could have a thread warning of current scams that are floating about.

This scam was sending me emails that purport to be from Amazon detailing a purchase you have made with an option to click on a link if it isn't your purchase. If you get one forward it to stop-spoofing@amazon.com

2 hours ago, sage said:

After an attempt to scam me via email i thought we could have a thread warning of current scams that are floating about.

This scam was sending me emails that purport to be from Amazon detailing a purchase you have made with an option to click on a link if it isn't your purchase. If you get one forward it to stop-spoofing@amazon.com

I got one too. For wooden scrabble tiles to be delivered to Sea Life Centre Brighton. It looked pretty convincing. But I never click tracking links and always go direct to the website concerned to check.

tbh, they're all pretty obvious to spot.

Didn't buy something from USA? Then that one from Fedex is one to avoid

You like like a horses back end? Then that one from the Latvian model is one to avoid

etc, etc

Gypsy Ram likes this

They are easy but people must fall for them or they wouldnt do them now. I think they work on the premise that we are curious beings and sometimes cant help click on that link just to see what its about.

I dont and agree its obvious most of the time. I do really doubt that fella from nigeria or wherever really has a million pounds he wants to deposit in my account if i could just send him my bank details.

1 hour ago, scarboroughwa said:

tbh, they're all pretty obvious to spot.

Didn't buy something from USA? Then that one from Fedex is one to avoid

You like like a horses back end? Then that one from the Latvian model is one to avoid

etc, etc

I had one through an email which alerted me to the fact a £69.99 sat nav app was purchased through my iTunes account, and to log in and verify I hadn't made the purchase.

It was the most believable one I'd seen. I did end up logging into my iTunes but through the Apple website and the link within the email. It seems the idea of potentially being stiffed for £70 would cause people to not think about it being a phishing scam. 

Someone got a link to that funny story where a guy actually played along the the Nigerian Bank scam for a while and got the guy to take a picture of himself 

6 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Someone got a link to that funny story where a guy actually played along the the Nigerian Bank scam for a while and got the guy to take a picture of himself 

www.ebolamonkeyman.com

Edit: NSFW!

Mafiabob likes this

Got an email today from a lawyer In the US saying I was entitled to $12.5m worth of Estate because I had the same surname as a person who hadn't passed away without any next of kin.......they would take 55% to represent me!!!!! Just because we had the same name...Bri:Dlliant 

20 hours ago, mrdave85 said:

I had one through an email which alerted me to the fact a £69.99 sat nav app was purchased through my iTunes account, and to log in and verify I hadn't made the purchase.

It was the most believable one I'd seen. I did end up logging into my iTunes but through the Apple website and the link within the email. It seems the idea of potentially being stiffed for £70 would cause people to not think about it being a phishing scam. 

Yeah, I had one the same only for a purchase for gems from 'Clash of Clans', which, funnily enough I play, and my kids play, and they have made a purchase when I accidentally left the password to the purchase available to use without entering it. Dangerous.

Anyway, Mr Awake here wasn't falling for that. But it would have been dead easy to fall for it.

I checked the account directly and... nothing.

Close one.