David Nugent - Signed 2 and a half year deal

matty1986

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On loan, well I am ok with that and depending on performance possible signing in the summer when Bent leaves, but it does signal that wieman and Blackman appear to have no chance up front

it does indicate that Fulham wish to continue being miserable with Martin 

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

If Nugent was so great at this level, then why did Boro feel the need to sign Rhodes for £9m last January? :ermm:

Word is that he was a chairman signing, Karanka supposedly didn't wan't him hence why he had that walk out around the Charlton game, my Boro mates wonder why Rodes doesn't get more time but are adamant that Karanka never wanted him in the first place.

21 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

From a squad perspective it looks like Nugent will come in to replace Chris Martin for the remainder of this season & then at the end of the season Darren Bent who will almost certainly be moving on then. Whilst not a spring chicken he will be younger and a better option than Bent next year if we are still in the Championship. If we do go up then we will be shopping in a different pool of players for new strikers anyway and another Champiosnhip team will take a punt on him.

Striking Options

2016/17 - Bent, Nugent, Vydra , Blackman, Vernam

2017/18 - Martin, Nugent, Vydra, Blackman, Vernam

I think Nugent will bring us something different. He is more mobile than Martin, fitter than Bent, more physical than Vydra. He can play in a 1 or a 2 up front & always works hard, runs the channels but can also finish too. Much better option for us than Jordan Rhodes IMO especially if we get him for £1.5m-£2m plus add ons.

Agreed that he's a better option than Rhodes who is just a goal poacher who offers not much else. Rhodes divided opinions amongst Blackburn fans for that particular reason.

1 minute ago, Mick Harford said:

Word is that he was a chairman signing, Karanka supposedly didn't wan't him hence why he had that walk out around the Charlton game, my Boro mates wonder why Rodes doesn't get more time but are adamant that Karanka never wanted him in the first place.

Thanks Mick, Boro fan I presume?

Any thoughts on Nugent? Would he fit our system?

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

if that's the case I'd rather stick with where we are now

I would do a deal involving shackell as he's a high earner to be on the bench. We have Rawson for that. 

I wouldn't want to see Camara go as he's been the only one out of him, Russell and Camara who have looked a threat. 

4 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

Heard similar from my friend who supports them. Said both Rhodes and Downing were signings made by the chairman and Karanka didn't want either. 

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Also, would rather us spend HALF the £3m and get Omar Bogle, personally. 

Although the current hype around bogle and he looks a good talent , although raw . I don't think it's what we need at the moment. We need someone with experience at this level whether that's Nugent or not I don't know . But I couldn't see Chris Evans "going out and buying people randomly" surely this will be done after consulting with Mac , the striking coaches , board and Evans himself . 

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

I don't understand the logic behind this one at all.

I'm just completely guessing here, but reckon we're bringing in Nugent because Martin isn't returning. Then maybe Derby won't take up the option to extend Bent's contract by an extra year and next season we'll have Martin, Vydra/other and Nugent as our striking options? 

4 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

I would do a deal involving shackell as he's a high earner to be on the bench. We have Rawson for that. 

I wouldn't want to see Camara go as he's been the only one out of him, Russell and Camara who have looked a threat. 

Did you not see how good Shackell was yesterday . He was immense, just because he's on the bench now doesn't mean it's forever . What if Pearce or Keogh get injured or suspended? Although I'm all for promoting youth it's nice having the experience and quality on the bench. 

Archived