George Thorne

DarkFruitsRam7

Despite the fact he's been out for 1 and a half years, he looked good. Even though he's obviously not fully fit, he was a lot more agile that Huddlestone and his passing, particularly in the second half was really good. He made a couple of superb through balls along the ground that on another day would've sent us through 1-on-1. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Despite the fact he's been out for 1 and a half years, he looked good. Even though he's obviously not fully fit, he was a lot more agile that Huddlestone and his passing, particularly in the second half was really good. He made a couple of superb through balls along the ground that on another day would've sent us through 1-on-1. 

Huddlestone obviously has in his locker to release superb passes, but for me George did the simple stuff better yesterday too.

He simply had to play yesterday and all for very logical reasons but the main ones for me were

1 - he has to prove his fitness and show again his abilities before January 

2- either we offer him an extension to his contract and he signs it or we sell him in January 

3- if we are trying to sell him in January he has to prove to other clubs that he has been playing competitive football 

( hopefully for us everything works out great)

Selected for the EFL team of the week for his performance, starting against Burton. Congratulations and welcome back, gorgeous George Thorne!

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-midfielder-named-efl-875135

The EFL said:

"Welcome back, George Thorne! The Derby midfielder returned to the starting line-up for the first time since breaking his leg in May 2016, and he delivered a performance like he’d never been away.

"An all-action display in the heart of midfield earned him plaudits aplenty, as the Rams edged out rivals Burton Albion courtesy of Johnny Russell’s late strike."

On 03/12/2017 at 10:42, Paul71 said:

Huddlestone obviously has in his locker to release superb passes, but for me George did the simple stuff better yesterday too.

Huddlestones is a superb long passer but GT makes the better short and medium passes, particularly those into the channel for Martyn, Vydra and Lawrence / Russell to latch onto.

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Huddlestones is a superb long passer but GT makes the better short and medium passes, particularly those into the channel for Martyn, Vydra and Lawrence / Russell to latch onto.

Thorne can do it all - including score key goals which is not in Huddlestones locker ... he also had us a penalty v Ipswich with a great run into the box.

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

You have to bare in mind though that if Huddlestone’s long passing is 5/5 then George’s is 4/5! 

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Whilst I agree I think that the key thing that a fully fit Thorne does better than Huddlestone is dictate the flow of the game. Honestly I think it's his most impressive quality, there have been games where he's played for us where it feels like he's entirely in control of how the game is going to be played. Whereas as I feel Huddlestone tends to more passive.

Definately lost pace though. But Having said that, he lost that after his first injury.

Those youtube george thorne videos, the 2014 one, shows he actually had a bit of pace at one point. Something that i had completely forgotton. Since as long as i can remember he wasnt anymore mobile than Huddlestone.

if he can stay fit, he's without doubt in the top 5 players in this division. This lads contact couldn't be running out at a worse time..

Should he be offered a contract baring in mind all risks attached - probably not.

Would I be devastated to see him playing his football at another club - definitely.

I'd give him one more chance.. 

14 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Definately lost pace though. But Having said that, he lost that after his first injury.

Those youtube george thorne videos, the 2014 one, shows he actually had a bit of pace at one point. Something that i had completely forgotton. Since as long as i can remember he wasnt anymore mobile than Huddlestone.

In 2014 when he was playing for us he’d already come back from his first injury hadn’t he?!

1 hour ago, JoeDerby said:

if he can stay fit, he's without doubt in the top 5 players in this division. This lads contact couldn't be running out at a worse time..

Should he be offered a contract baring in mind all risks attached - probably not.

Would I be devastated to see him playing his football at another club - definitely.

I'd give him one more chance.. 

Got to give him a contract not his fault some Ipswich thug decided to take him out 

3 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

New contract is a must. A two year deal would be fair. We all know what he can do. For me he keeps his place for Barnsley away.

Think he's got a hamstring injury, doubt he will be in the squad..

Explains why he hasn't been offered a contact yet

1 hour ago, JoeDerby said:

he's made of plastic mate, what's the point in paying someone that doesn't work? I doubt you would if you owned a business..

Joe I do own a business and also work occasionally He's made of plastic so Jonathon Douglas hits him two footed just below the knee and you think he's made of plastic Its irrelevant anyway he can speak to any club he wishes in 25 days sure he won't have a problem finding one 

Archived