Players coming to end of contract

Gritty

According to this (http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/derby-county/kader/verein/22/saison_id/2016) the following players are out of contract at the end of this season 

• Christie (seems to not want to re-sign? Maybe thinks he can get a Prem team? If so, we need a new RB)
  • Baird (Played well and would give him one more year but we still need another RB)
  • Bent (Played well and would give him one more year)

and the following players are out of contract at the end of next season so we need to think about new contracts for them:

• Shackell (Saleable asset who isn't getting a game right now and won't re-sign if he isn't playing. So sell in summer if still in Champ as we can use the money in other areas)
  • Pearce (re-sign)
  • Forsyth (unsure how much his injury will have impacted him. Would be content to wait until late Autumn and then re-sign if over injury)
  • Thorne (I do not believe we can justify the wages on a guy that never plays. That said, I doubt anyone will pay a fee for someone with such a poor injury record so I would keep him for another year and then maybe offer him a pay-as-you-play deal. Take it or leave it.  Harsh but that's football. I realise he's a brilliant player on his day. But injuries have wrecked his time with us.  He's only been fit for 3/4 of one season of the 3 he's been here)
  • Hanson (re-sign. He should play as backup to Johnson in my view)
  • Hughes (obviouly re-sign)
  • Russell (Sell. I'm not convinced he's the best Left Winger we have so I'd take the cash in a position that is already overloaded)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, not trying to start a flame war or be a troll. Maybe I should have left Thorne out of it and concentrated on the others with hindsight.  Although I'd like to think we can all voice opinions and just respectfully agree to differ at times.

For the record, I think Thorne is an absolutely fantastic player. Just that he's injury prone and I don't think we should give him another contract on the same terms. Pay as you play would be what I'd do

1 minute ago, feisty said:

Sorry, not trying to start a flame war or be a troll. Maybe I should have left Thorne out of it and concentrated on the others with hindsight.  Although I'd like to think we can all voice opinions and just respectfully agree to differ at times.

For the record, I think Thorne is an absolutely fantastic player. Just that he's injury prone and I don't think we should give him another contract on the same terms. Pay as you play would be what I'd do

Bit harsh after a leg break, would we be saying the same thing if it was Hughes?

G Star beat me to it, but that barbaric tractor boy challenge would have broken the leg of any player who was in the way of it. That it happened to be George Thorne was catastrophic for us, but to call him injury prone as a result of it is just unfair. Adding insult to injury, one might say. At the very least, we should see how he plays when he returns bearing in mind how good he was before.

All ifs and buts & slightly off topic

but if thorne was rested for the ipswich game like a few of us were crying out for (rest the best players for the playoffs) then he wouldn't have got injured & would be fit now. He'd have also been fit for the hull game so who knows what would have happened, maybe we'd have won 

still does my nut in to this day that we played him in a nothing game and half of this forum couldnt see the logic in resting him for the ipswich game 

as for the contract scenario i agree with all your comments apart from thorne id just give him a new deal

2 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

but if thorne was rested for the ipswich game like a few of us were crying out for (rest the best players for the playoffs) then he wouldn't have got injured & would be fit now. He'd have also been fit for the hull game so who knows what would have happened, maybe we'd have won 

still does my nut in to this day that we played him in a nothing game and half of this forum couldnt see the logic in resting him for the ipswich game 

as for the contract scenario i agree with all your comments apart from thorne id just give him a new deal

I was flamed on here for suggesting we should have rested Thorne.

19 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

And if my aunt had a cock she'd be my uncle. 

Sorry couldn't help it. 

48 minutes ago, feisty said:

Regardless it was a good post because it was informative and thought provoking

I didn't want Thorne rested v Ipswich. The last game before the play offs I wanted us to go into the Hull game as buzzing as possible. Plus Thorne is here to play when fit. Can't keep protecting him because of his injury record. If he's fit then he should be playing. 

He broke his leg having a shot blocked.

I'd like to see him stay but I'm not as much of a fan as I used to be. When he played under Clement for a while he was so slow. He had a turning circle of Mercedes Sprinter. He had a few games where he just couldn't do what he was so good at because he was way off the pace. Wolves away was like watching a ship play there

I was a huuuuge fan at one time. But after these injuries (which are terribly unlucky) I just think he needs to prove himself again. I think he's quite lucky to still be so highly rated as I don't think he was that good in the Clement season. He was good. But not good enough to think "We must do everything possible to get Thorne in that role"

He needs to get fit and prove to us over the next 15 months or whatever that he's still the beast from 2014. 

40 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

G Star beat me to it, but that barbaric tractor boy challenge would have broken the leg of any player who was in the way of it. That it happened to be George Thorne was catastrophic for us, but to call him injury prone as a result of it is just unfair. Adding insult to injury, one might say. At the very least, we should see how he plays when he returns bearing in mind how good he was before.

Every time we revisit this I get very annoyed at Wassall for risking a tired Thorne and there were multiple reckless challenges by Thorne in that game so he hadn't been told to chill and keep safe. He plays 100% every game and in that game he didn't need to.

52 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Or he could have been injured in the first half at home vs Hull. 

1 hour ago, feisty said:

According to this (http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/derby-county/kader/verein/22/saison_id/2016) the following players are out of contract at the end of this season 

• Christie (seems to not want to re-sign? Maybe thinks he can get a Prem team? If so, we need a new RB)
  • Baird (Played well and would give him one more year but we still need another RB)
  • Bent (Played well and would give him one more year)

and the following players are out of contract at the end of next season so we need to think about new contracts for them:

• Shackell (Saleable asset who isn't getting a game right now and won't re-sign if he isn't playing. So sell in summer if still in Champ as we can use the money in other areas)
  • Pearce (re-sign)
  • Forsyth (unsure how much his injury will have impacted him. Would be content to wait until late Autumn and then re-sign if over injury)
  • Thorne (I do not believe we can justify the wages on a guy that never plays. That said, I doubt anyone will pay a fee for someone with such a poor injury record so I would keep him for another year and then maybe offer him a pay-as-you-play deal. Take it or leave it.  Harsh but that's football. I realise he's a brilliant player on his day. But injuries have wrecked his time with us.  He's only been fit for 3/4 of one season of the 3 he's been here)
  • Hanson (re-sign. He should play as backup to Johnson in my view)
  • Hughes (obviouly re-sign)
  • Russell (Sell. I'm not convinced he's the best Left Winger we have so I'd take the cash in a position that is already overloaded)

Christie Contract runs out 2018.

Bent got a option for 1 more year so don't know if that's going to happen. 

I'd definitely keep Russell tbf. 

Wassall showed his inexperience playing Thorne against Ipswich. Of course a leg break could have happened to anyone but why risk arguably our most important player against one of the roughest sides in the league? I don't buy the argument that we wanted to go into the play offs with momentum, what momentum was that? We failed to win our last 3 games going into the play offs whereas Hull rested a lot of their first team members before the play offs. I remember many on here got over cocky when Hull lost to Bolton when it didn't even mean anything.

Just now, McLovin said:

Wassall showed his inexperience playing Thorne against Ipswich. Of course a leg break could have happened to anyone but why risk arguably our most important player against one of the roughest sides in the league? I don't buy the argument that we wanted to go into the play offs with momentum, what momentum was that? We failed to win our last 3 games going into the play offs whereas Hull rested a lot of their first team members before the play offs. I remember many on here got over cocky when Hull lost to Bolton when it didn't even mean anything.

Precisely.

Archived